PRS NGD

I will probably end up putting the PRS 57/08's in it. I really like them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Dragon II and 57/08 are my favorite of the PRS pickups. I wasn't very impressed by the 59/09 pickups. Haven't tried the Metal pickups they have out now yet.

Awsome Guitar , sweet quilt and that neck ohh ahhh. Is that a " thin / wide " profile like the Tremonti SE ? BTW I went to GC to get some speaker stands and came home with a PRS SE Paul Allender Model with the EMGs lol . I had been interested in trying a PRS from people on this forum raving about them. I really like this guitar the thinner neck and wider string spacing plays exceptionally well . Very solid guitar for a " budget " model !
Enjoy your NGD.

The Dragon II and 57/08 are my favorite of the PRS pickups. I wasn't very impressed by the 59/09 pickups. Haven't tried the Metal pickups they have out now yet.

I have experienced the exact reverse. I have a PRS Hollowbody II with the 57/08's and there is virtually no attack on those pickups for whatever reason. It could be due to the actual hollowbody itself which is beautiful, it just wasn't what I was anticipating when I purchased it.

We should swap presets, I would be curious to see how your presets vary building them to that PRS config compared to mine.

Awsome Guitar , sweet quilt and that neck ohh ahhh. Is that a " thin / wide " profile like the Tremonti SE ? BTW I went to GC to get some speaker stands and came home with a PRS SE Paul Allender Model with the EMGs lol . I had been interested in trying a PRS from people on this forum raving about them. I really like this guitar the thinner neck and wider string spacing plays exceptionally well . Very solid guitar for a " budget " model !
Enjoy your NGD.

Yes, this has their "Pattern Thin" neck (or that's what they are calling it now). It's sweet!

I just had 30 minutes to let it rip with some volume out of the CLR and WOW - I sound better than I am... I'm beginning to really like the \Metal/ pickups now that they are adjusted correctly and this thing is so easy to play.

No buyer's remorse here :)

I have never owned a PRS, always thought they were too salty for what they are. But after seeing your gorgeous NGD pics and reading up on the latest models and pickups I think I might have to hunt one down and take a roadtrip to try one out. It's been nearly ten years since I've even held one.

That charcoal is FANTASTIC.

I really like the fell of PRS guitars. I got my first Custom 24 in 2010 and since have bought and sold 2 JP-6's, JS-1200, Jackson RR-1 and a Les Paul Axcess Signature. They all sounded great, and the Les Paul got equal use on stage, but the PRS just felt right to me.

If I wasn't spoiled, I'd probably have a couple SE's - they are better then their price would suggest.

When I saw this one I fell in lust and had to have her [emoji6]

Enjoy your NGD.
I got a PRS SE Floyd the other day with the wide thin neck. Pretty decent guitar and the floyd 1000 series is better than I expected, if you were to put a brass block in it you would not miss the original floyd.

The neck though is quite different from a real prs custom 24 wide thin, the fretboard radius is alot flatter than the real deal, definitely not a 10" radius. I'd say a 14" radius or maybe more and the fret size is smaller also, overall it makes the neck depth feel thinner.

I much prefer the 10" radius on the real thing but it's still a pretty good guitar for the money.

But I'll be attempting to purchase the USA version, I just wonder if it has the 10" radius like all other USA prs? Or if they flattened the radius on the floyd versions?

I much prefer the 10" radius on the real thing but it's still a pretty good guitar for the money.

But I'll be attempting to purchase the USA version, I just wonder if it has the 10" radius like all other USA prs? Or if they flattened the radius on the floyd versions?

I don't know for sure, but the neck radius does feel the same as my CU24. I also like the 10" radius. Frets feel a little different though, but that could be more because of how much wear they have.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to end up swapping out the pickups for a JB / '59 set (I have a JB in my other PRS and really like it) or put PRS 57/08's in it. Logic tells me to stick with the Duncan's since that's what in my other guitar so I'll probably end up doing that, although the 57/08's sound amazing.

Thanks for the info about the input-trim!

If you chose to put in 57/08s where would you get them? I want a set too but PRS doesn't offer them in their store. I see them on eBay for crazy prices that I'm not willing to pay. I have a Singlecut Trem with 59/09s which are OK but quite a bit hotter than I like. My friend has a SC245 with 57/08s and they are the sweetest, most vocal sounding pups I've ever heard.

If you chose to put in 57/08s where would you get them? I want a set too but PRS doesn't offer them in their store. I see them on eBay for crazy prices that I'm not willing to pay. I have a Singlecut Trem with 59/09s which are OK but quite a bit hotter than I like. My friend has a SC245 with 57/08s and they are the sweetest, most vocal sounding pups I've ever heard.

The 57/08's are a little expensive, and I think when PRS did sell them I think they were $400 for the set. You can find them for about $400 on eBay for the uncovered, about $500 for the covered & etched ones. The good thing is you can sell your 59/09's for around $300 so the overall cost to get them won't be so bad.

I have to say now that I've had some time with the \Metal/ pickups (and adjusting their height properly) I really like them. I don't see myself changing them now - I play 80's rock / metal and they just work so well with the HBE-100 preset in the Axe-Fx.

5708s are awesome. But almost all the pickups sound the same in high gain. You don't notice a huge difference unless you're playing low gain stuff like blues or clean. Your best bet is to trade with someone, or just keep the metal pickups haha. I love my 5708 though, and I mostly play hard rock or metal. Some bluesy stuff

Just found this listing: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321651603851

Thanks PRSCustom24 for the ebay listing but it O.B.E. (overcome by events). Turns out that I bought my buddies SC245 with the 57/08TMs for the express purpose of swapping the pickups into my Singlecut Trem. That means I'll need to sell the SC245 with 59/09s in it. I'm a bit worried that I'll have difficulty selling the modified SC245 even though it's a 10-top in Autumn Sky Burst finish as the guitar will not match its hang card.

Thanks PRSCustom24 for the ebay listing but it O.B.E. (overcome by events). Turns out that I bought my buddies SC245 with the 57/08TMs for the express purpose of swapping the pickups into my Singlecut Trem. That means I'll need to sell the SC245 with 59/09s in it. I'm a bit worried that I'll have difficulty selling the modified SC245 even though it's a 10-top in Autumn Sky Burst finish as the guitar will not match its hang card.

Nice purchase! I don't think you'll have an issue - particularly if you make it sound as though you went out of your way to put 59/09's and not mention the 57/08's :)

Beautiful Guitar... How's the Neck on it? Is it Thin in depth or thick?

Hey Rain, I know this is an old post, but for the first time I compared the new Floyd "pattern thin" neck to my 2008 Custom 24 with a "wide-thin" neck. They are not the same. The neck on the Floyd model is slightly thinner, and without the finish on the back is much faster.

I have an emotional attachment to my 2008 since it was my 1st PRS, but I may have to sell it to get a 2nd Floyd...

Here's my 2008 prs_custom2401.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom