Wish PRS HX Amp ( Hendrix Touring Amp ) ?

TBH, not very impressed by the sound, but that's a matter of taste.

For me, there are more than enough marshalls that you can mod and play it to achieve it.

And I don't try to despise Paul's amp, it's a great achievement to get your hands on Hendrix's personal amp and make a clone/modded version of it to the audience. But the AX3 has the ability to do it as well.

There's nothing here that you can't get out of existing amp models. Listen to your favorite demo and start dialing some of the Superlead or JTM models until you find something that gets you a similar tone.

Shoulda requested the HXDA a while back lol. But yeah, buy @austinbuddy hendrix presets and go nuts.
Yes, I have two 50 watt HX/DA amps and they give you a very authentic early Marshall tone in the bass and SL guises, that you can mix and match a bit. They are outstanding, hand built, premium component amps that do Marshall better than the Marshall reissues. Musical monsters that can stand up next to any original Marshall I’ve heard.

I’m sure there’s an audience for the new HX only version, and getting an opportunity to do a real modded-Hendrix Plexi from a part by part dissection might have been irresistible for tone and music lovers like Paul Smith and Doug Sewell. Personally, I was hoping they’d mod the HX/DA circuit with a variable power supply, a la Eddie, and call it the HX/DA/EVH… but I struck out again. I’d have bought that! The new HX is cool, but doesn’t really offer me anything I don’t have in the HX/DAs or Axe FX III.

If you've never been the the Pop Museum in Seattle to see the Hendrix exhibit there, put it on your bucket list. Very cool.

So, my bass player buddy here in Austin Scott Nelson (who did the 200+ Bass Tonepack with me) is good friends with Paul Reed Smith.

Scott has one of the early ones of these HX amps, I think it was a protoype, but his was for bass along with a 2X12 cab with some VintageKing (?) old reconed JBL-style speakers I think. He wants to get some Cab IRs of it for next Bass Tonepack update in fact.
His HX really really does nail the Billy Cox Band of Gypsys bass tone I have to say - super impressed. He loves it, it's his favorite amp right now.

Here's a pic. Scott just dimes the master volume and then uses the gain as his volume, but he is usually playing loud! #becausethatsrockmusic

IMG_4050.jpg

I've been a Hendrix guitar amp/tone fanatic all my adult life and you can get there with the Fractal JTM45 amp model cranked up/mostly dimed into the right Greenbacks. See my You Tube video from a years back on that:

One thing I have not tried to do but might after watching the PRS HX video is take the Axe-Fx III's Marshall Super Lead model and sub in a JTM45 tonestack into it, and see what that does/play with it some. You can also lower the brite cap value for lower volumes in the Super Lead to make it more usable.

On Strats, you really need that bigger bass (like the Super Bass amp head Doyle Bramhall II used on his Welcome/Smokestack album) and some way to cut the treble at lower volumes (rolling off volume with a fuzz on helps a little to do that). It's cool that the PRS has a bright switch that kind of brings in the Fender-ish Blackface-type cleans.

BTW, I got to attend an amp clinic with Pauls' amp guy Doug Sewell ( a Texan!) at Chuck Levin's music store in Bethesda MD a few years ago, he worked with David Grissom here to develop that amp as was talking about it, and he is a super nice guy and really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
If you've never been the the Pop Museum in Seattle to see the Hendrix exhibit there, put it on your bucket list. Very cool.
Yes, this place is so cool. The funnel of guitars was crazy to see when I went there the first time a while back.

One thing I have not tried to do but might after watching the PRS HX video is take the Axe-Fx III's Marshall Super Lead model and sub in a JTM45 tonestack into it, and see what that does/play with it some.
This is one of my favorite axefx Marshall mods. Instant AC/DC, among other classic rock artists. Give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom