PRS DGT SE - Quick Look

If Tim is a shill then he is the happiest damn shill ever.

Look at his face when he played the DGT SE - tell me that’s not pure joy,
Tim is great and I have no issues with his motives. Paul is his friend though so that has an effect too.

Speaking of respected players who seem to have become a bit shill-ish lately...
Yeah well maybe (responding to my own post, not Tim's).

I've probably overstated this, my bad.

Tim is great, no question, and who am I to question the dynamics of the industry or his involvement in it. I have zero knowledge, and no reason to suspect his motives or integrity.

I just had an in-the-moment reaction to seeing his post, in the context seeing of so many similar ones from so many people I trust way less than him.

So, cancel, more or less, and apologies. As you were...

To be fair to Tim, I haven't played a lot of dual humbucker guitars in the ~$1k price bracket that are good at that edge of breakup thing. My SE Custom 24 basically has the exact same output through both humbuckers, and is really picky about edge of breakup tones in my experience. The SE DGT does look and sound like the real deal.

Yeah well maybe (responding to my own post, not Tim's).

I've probably overstated this, my bad.

Tim is great, no question, and who am I to question the dynamics of the industry or his involvement in it. I have zero knowledge, and no reason to suspect his motives or integrity.

I just had an in-the-moment reaction to seeing his post, in the context seeing of so many similar ones from so many people I trust way less than him.

So, cancel, more or less, and apologies. As you were...
Just don't start talking to yourself! :p

You're good with me. I wasn't offended by what you said b/c I think I understood where you were coming from. I remember the first time I saw one of Tim's endorsement videos, it sort of caught me off guard. I was like "Whoa, this is different for him!"

I can also see where some might have been offended. That's just the dangers of these online exchanges; it's just written words and no voice inflection or facial expressions. May have been a bit overboard just proclaiming he is a shill.

It's easy to get cynical about endorsements, but not everyone is a sell out. For me, you just have to locate those people you believe are straight shooters and I think he his.

Cole,

PRS makes really beautiful instruments, even works of art, that even PRSh has said are meant to be played. I'd try not to equate buying a PRS with a "gateway drug," though.

My younger days had their share of "oats" but as an older man I'm not interested in doing stuff one could dang well get hurt doing...my "fix" consists of socializing online with you guys...not snorting a line of ground nutmeg or exploring your navel after mushrooms. (Don't say I didn't warn you...).

If you feel pressured to buy something you'd later regret, walk away from the deal; no one will fault you for maintaining your integrity...
As I continue waiting for Sweetwater to get my order - are you still digging the guitar ?

As I continue waiting for Sweetwater to get my order - are you still digging the guitar ?
Of course. Have not played it that much because of previous obligations, and need to calculate how much a replacement mini-fridge is going to cost. Taxes are done, so that's no worry. Am currently trying to work with LT's recent offering from his YT channel on how to set up a sustain/feedback effect using a synth block. TBH, it's a neat effect, check out this post from the guy who designed it...

Am hoping to use a CS with a per-preset as a momentary hold for several of my boost/lead scenes.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...its-how-to-do-it-with-the-synth-block.190919/

or from LT:

Last edited:
Based on what I've viewed from several YT videos, the DGT SE can imitate the Allman Bros, ZZ Top, as well as create soulful coil-tapped licks that cleans up well .

I would buy it, just to get tone like that.

I own a PRS SE baritone semi hollow body. It's a great guitar, straight out of the box.
The SE series is an excellent value.
This will be my next electric, once they become more available.

I would buy it, just to get tone like that.

I own a PRS SE baritone semi hollow body. It's a great guitar, straight out of the box.
The SE series is an excellent value.
This will be my next electric, once they become more available.
The correct amps and cab will get you towards that. Check out this post for similar tone/sound (am also working to build a preset with a Tweed Deluxe and AC30):

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/prs-dg30-2x12-v30.191053/

Good question. The tone knob goes from warm and wooly to bright very quickly, so it makes sense to ride the tone knob at 3 or below. The coil-tap is useful in that you can go from a gainy feel to a cleaner feel with the tone knob push-pull solely. Of course, Dave rides his guitar volume at 7 or above, typically full up for leads, and 7 or 6 for cleans.

Based on what I've viewed from several YT videos, the DGT SE can imitate the Allman Bros, ZZ Top, as well as create soulful coil-tapped licks that cleans up well .

A fan of both the Fillmore East and early ZZ Top releases, the DGT SE will help you towards finding your signature sound, though in my instance, my belief is that the DGT SE targets a narrower range of tones without sacrificing quality at the lower price point. If perhaps you dig Dave's sound, research some of his YT interviews (posted earlier) and find out how he dials in his sound. Dave doesn't namedrop that much, but does mention some band names as influences.
I'm finding the exact same thing with the volume and tone settings. The guitar sounds really good with the tone quite low. Same with the volume. I find running the volume around 7/8 sounds better to my ear than having it full out. This is with the pickups at the PRS recommended heights so some experimentation will likely be needed there.

I'm finding the exact same thing with the volume and tone settings. The guitar sounds really good with the tone quite low. Same with the volume. I find running the volume around 7/8 sounds better to my ear than having it full out. This is with the pickups at the PRS recommended heights so some experimentation will likely be needed there.
Yup. Tone at 4 or below seems to produce "better," or woolier, warmer tone. Volume needs to be up higher (7 or above) for best results.

I use a self-designed Grissom preset that gets loud fast with a boost, crunch and lead. Am almost sure the last two scenes will need to be tamed a lot more for the preset to be useable. Otherwise, you'd need to turn down quickly at the guitar volume to protect your hearing...the clean and clean boost scenes are decent, but the crunch and lead are louder than all farglesnot. Will post separately in the FM9 Exchange after things are sorted...

Pickup height there wasn't very much of an issue...kept things where they were and the SE DGT does a good job currently...

Back
Top Bottom