Prs archon mini game : helix or axe ? (With results page 3)

set of settings with super limited tweaking
Limited tweaking ? Considering that the irs and an eq is 80% of the tone and you have millions of possibilities just with it ?
I don’t use the ultra advanced parameter of the axe, globally when I touch them, it destroyed the signal . When you buy an amp you are not changing the transistors and open it with a screwdriver to make it sound « better » , it sounds good by default or you bought the wrong amp.

The real point is that I read so much shit in products, guitars… from people that don’t try things by themselves … mini games make people reconsidering their opinion .

Then what ? I won’t sold my axe for this, the axe sound great and is a super product, and I will buy a 4 when it will be out.

It is just another tool with some content not included in the axe

And games are more entertaining than begging to cliff new features all day long or just show off no?

They are not tweaked the same.
A has more low mids and less gain and I consider A as gig ready.
I'd lower gain on B some and add low mids there.

They are not tweaked the same.
A has more low mids and less gain and I consider A as gig ready.
I'd lower gain on B some and add low mids there.
To me I needed to turn down a little bit the high frequencies in B to make it more difficult. But it was my first one, next time I will try to do better . I ve done this very quickly. That’s not easy by ears

People should realize that it's really important to "be right" and "win the tone war". You should go to the ultimate end to ensure this, potentially even lose friendships over it!

Personally I can tell any clip apart from any modeler. Only the Axe emulates tube amps well. All others suck 100%.

I mean, I saw a local concert just now; my friend was the guitarist. He's mainly an Axe FX user.
After the gig I congratulated him for the guitar tone; the whole set sounded awesome, and asked if I could have his lead preset. Then he told me he used the Helix on this gig. I of course answered "no wonder the sound was so bad, I couldn't almost bear it" and put him in his rightful place.

Limited tweaking ? Considering that the irs and an eq is 80% of the tone and you have millions of possibilities just with it ?
I don’t use the ultra advanced parameter of the axe, globally when I touch them, it destroyed the signal . When you buy an amp you are not changing the transistors and open it with a screwdriver to make it sound « better » , it sounds good by default or you bought the wrong amp.

The real point is that I read so much shit in products, guitars… from people that don’t try things by themselves … mini games make people reconsidering their opinion .

Then what ? I won’t sold my axe for this, the axe sound great and is a super product, and I will buy a 4 when it will be out.

It is just another tool with some content not included in the axe

And games are more entertaining than begging to cliff new features all day long or just show off no?
Totally agree on tools part or always having options im never against that.

for the advanced parameters it can destroy your signal or make it super good.
I am not referring to the ir and eq part of it. but the character of distortion that exists before it goes to the ir or post eq.

Stuff like

Transformer match is simple and very usable.
Negative Feedback
Stuff like triode plate frequencies in preamp causes noticable change in sound and not in a bad way
Saturation switch in preamp page ( this was actually done on real amps too by modding it for a more thick aggressive tone.
Speaker impedance can help simulate mismatch between the outputs and speakers.
Bias for preamp and power amps both
Hardness etc they are fairly simple to use.
Even for the ir's the speaker impedance curve page alone can do so much and clean the unwanted stuff out in a way post eq never can.
Forget all that even if you change the tone stack centre frequency of archon from 450hz to say 550 or 350 . you gonna notice a considerable change in how it sounds for a given set of bmt settings which can be good or bad.
Yes Tube amps are limited in what you can do with them just like plugins. but thats not the case with axe . axe is not as limited.

Thus all i am trying to say is concluding what is good or not good enough when comparing a/b with something like axe may not necessarily be right in all cases.
the axe just offers a lot more , it has a lot of stuff modelled in with default values that may vary in case of other modellers for xyz reasons.

Last edited:
It is sad to take it like that .
To me is super interesting that a software I paid 50 bucks (yes 50 bucks to have an helix in your daw actually, but as you are not interested, I won’t told you how 🤣) at stock settings, bluffed and gave mostly wrong answers.

The price of a ds1 man.

50€ (Italian VAT included?) is a freaking good value for everything that Helix is offering.
I might jump on it just for the sake of having a complete suite on my daw to test things before reamping with the Axe.

Speaking of the topic I can't tell which is which just by listening but I did some playing A/B testing a while ago with my HX Stomp and I was able to guess right almost every time.

50€ (Italian VAT included?) is a freaking good value for everything that Helix is offering.
I might jump on it just for the sake of having a complete suite on my daw to test things before reamping with the Axe.
60e with tax. I message you for the details. I m not affiliated with line 6 and I’m not here to sell their products. But yep, I hope that the most clever ones will read between the lines .

First clip Line 6, then AxeFX?

A is Axe Fx
Both sound great though
Listening through airpods though 🗿

I hear something I like better in the second one….hope that’s the Axe :)

A Helix. B Axe

Listening on ipad.
Subtles differences in tone but A has less dynamics than B.

Just a short explanation:
After the first notes I already made my decision. There's something annoying in the high end, that I always associate with the Helix stuff.

If I'm supposedly wrong, I claim that you messed up the clips :D

b sounds like axe running fw21.
i dk if a is helix but it kinda of sounds like older axe firmware on which archon felt a bit muffled earlier

They sound surprisingly close, but this is what I'm hearing too. Wouldn't be shocked if I were wrong though.

B is the Axe FX

I requegnize AxeFXIII sounds in B. Its the palm mute sound at the end that triggers me on B. A sounds good too, but my guess would be B = fractal

Cheers 🍻

I think B is the Fractal
But I will say kudos to line6
That clip is a lot better than a lot of their older versions so obviously whatever they are doing is an improvement

I hear more bloom and weight on B.

I definitely like B better... I should hope it is the Axe.. but it has been my experience when I owned both units that they could be made to sound VERY close when using the same, good quality IRs...

A sounds a tiny bit more hollow at the end, don't know which is which but I've got some excellent Archon presets on the Helix. I've always thought the Fractal high gain stuff has a bit more depth in the sound. It's hard to put your finger on exactly.

A is the AXE 3
B is the Helix.

A sounds more open to me and as I owned the Helix previously it always sounded a little more congested and compressed sounding more like clip B.

My 2 cents

A =Axe FXIII

I hate this game. Listening on my cell phone for optimal judgment capabilities. I'll flip and say B is the Axe, A is HX. I'm probably wrong.

Come on Stefano - don't make us wait any longer please!! ;-)

I also hear what sounds like some congestion and lack of string separation in B. But not sure if it's due to a bit different EQ as B sounds fuller/darker.

Come on it’s just a mini game.

I liked B better. A sounded raspy on my iPhone. Of course you could set the axe to sound like that as well!

A - axe fx
B - helix Native

Wow!
I am selling my Axe Fx and getting a Helix now!
Not!
I think this test proved one thing, at least for me: when @My name is mud compares the two.....he sounds a little better playing the Helix.
It would be interesting to hear another player do exactly the same thing with that identical setup.
Would it be the same?

Wow!
I am selling my Axe Fx and getting a Helix now!
Not!
I think this test proved one thing, at least for me: when @My name is mud compares the two.....he sounds a little better playing the Helix.
It would be interesting to hear another player do exactly the same thing with that identical setup.
Would it be the same?
That’s not playing , i do 3 chords

I'm still surprised people choose B as better. It's too thin, not enough low mids, and it's too distorted, gain too high and to that point, it's so easy to get that sound, any cheap gear can get these drowned-in-gain sounds. The problems begin when you want less gain but still having a hughe tone. Abd when you want it to clean up warm and fat when you dial back the volume knob that's where the bar gets too high for some.

I'm still surprised people choose B as better. It's too thin, not enough low mids, and it's too distorted, gain too high and to that point, it's so easy to get that sound, any cheap gear can get these drowned-in-gain sounds. The problems begin when you want less gain but still having a hughe tone. Abd when you want it to clean up warm and fat when you dial back the volume knob that's where the bar gets too high for some.
Yep . The helix is good for metal. For mid gain fender Marshall etc they are far behind .

And their recto suck.

And their hardware suck (so less problems with the software 😅). I owned 3 line 6 units,1 hx, one floor and one floor LT, 2 of 3 has been sent back . Hx freeze to death, out 2 in the helix dead after 2 months and 10 gigs …

You see . I’m not sponsored .

Buuuuuuuut

I’m impressed that their super old Archean modeling (years!) is so close compared to the Cygnus x2 we have last week . The controls are almost the same as you see .

When you A\B two modelers, you choose the one that sounds best to you. This is not the Axe approach which is to accurately capture what the real amp sounds like.

Back
Top Bottom