Prs archon mini game : helix or axe ? (With results page 3)

If the feel is off the musician won't play as well as they can, and then the audience won't have as much fun.
We are humans, not PA systems!
Tone alone was never and will never be "enough". :)

And, heck no, a "stack at 5" is no guarantee of the feel I want. That's a rather broad and generic brush. I don't want the same feel on the FAS Modern as a I do on, say, a JVM Orange. I want a track with vintage fuzz be a third, different feel than a track with pristine cleans and big reverbs.

The Fractal gives us these choices no actual tube amp and no other modeler gives us to dial in the sag versus stiffness, the shimmer, the thump and the squish - not just the tone.
All well and good but the audience isn't going to notice. But, if the guitarist doesn't play as well to the point where an audience, comprised of mostly non-musicians who just want to hear some music would notice just because he doesn't get the "feel" he would like then the guitarist needs to ask himself why he is in the entertainment business to begin with.

I definitely like B better... I should hope it is the Axe.. but it has been my experience when I owned both units that they could be made to sound VERY close when using the same, good quality IRs...

A sounds a tiny bit more hollow at the end, don't know which is which but I've got some excellent Archon presets on the Helix. I've always thought the Fractal high gain stuff has a bit more depth in the sound. It's hard to put your finger on exactly.

A is the AXE 3
B is the Helix.

A sounds more open to me and as I owned the Helix previously it always sounded a little more congested and compressed sounding more like clip B.

My 2 cents

I hate this game. Listening on my cell phone for optimal judgment capabilities. I'll flip and say B is the Axe, A is HX. I'm probably wrong.

I also hear what sounds like some congestion and lack of string separation in B. But not sure if it's due to a bit different EQ as B sounds fuller/darker.

All i hear is crappy 360p youtube audio
the codec yt uses, opus (aac for apple devices), is actually the same bitrate from 360p all the way up to 2160p and is functionally transparent across the vast majority of cases. the lower bitrate encodes are for 144p and 240p

all this to say you're probably not hearing something that is substantially worse than the source file just because it went through youtube

hey !
just a mini entertainment of the day
same guitar, same ir ... I try to match by ears, the settings are quite the same
I will tell the result when they are enough answers

I preferred the sound of B, a little less splatty in the mids and fuller/clearer in the lows. Will guess that’s fractal?

If the feel is off the musician won't play as well as they can, and then the audience won't have as much fun.
We are humans, not PA systems!
Tone alone was never and will never be "enough". :)

And, heck no, a "stack at 5" is no guarantee of the feel I want. That's a rather broad and generic brush. I don't want the same feel on the FAS Modern as a I do on, say, a JVM Orange. I want a track with vintage fuzz be a third, different feel than a track with pristine cleans and big reverbs.

The Fractal gives us these choices no actual tube amp and no other modeler gives us to dial in the sag versus stiffness, the shimmer, the thump and the squish - not just the tone.
Absolutely, i see no point in comparing fractal with other modellers based on these silly af a/b tests. when you can make the fractal amp sound like 100 things, while something like a helix or qc is heavily limited . We can modify the amp in a huge no of ways where it still retains its original vibe but still tweak the character of the distortion. So while one may argue others have caught up, its still far from truth as fractal truly models the amps component wise while most other modellers barely capture the gist of the sound and nowhere close to what mud said.

I get it some guys , still only stuck in the authentic phase , where they feel real tube amp is all how a modeller should sound, which is fair upto a point to check stock modelling accuracy to see which company does the job the best
But even then feel of playing is extremely important. the a/b tests always sound ugly. the audience in most cases they hear well mixed, panned and mastered sounds . and not raw guitars in mono. being abcdefghijklmnnopqrstuvwxyz' d .

The future is being able to tweak and manipulate the sound however you like, not being constrained by the limits of physical tube amps .

Last edited:
In this case, this is a real raw mono track, without any pan/mastering limiter or whatever .

For the rest as Tyson said. That’s just a game . I know sometimes games make people nervous but 😁
Yeah i know your clip is raw, thats why i mentioned in most cases. . i already responded to what i think is fractal in your video in the earlier post for the mini game thingy.

The above was just discussion on some other comments you made later on.

There is nothing to get nervous about a/b test man idga flying f about whats real & what is isn't . or if something else sounds close to axe or better for that matter if at all.
you're probably among the very few people on this forum who cares or takes this a/b stuff seriously on the contrary.

Last edited:
There is nothing to get nervous about a/b test man idga flying f about whats real & what is isn't . or if something else sounds close to axe or better for that matter if at all.
you're probably among the very few people on this forum who cares or takes this a/b stuff seriously
It is sad to take it like that .
To me is super interesting that a software I paid 50 bucks (yes 50 bucks to have an helix in your daw actually, but as you are not interested, I won’t told you how 🤣) at stock settings, bluffed and gave mostly wrong answers.

The price of a ds1 man.

It is sad to take it like that .
To me is super interesting that a software I paid 50 bucks (yes 50 bucks to have an helix in your daw actually, but as you are not interested, I won’t told you how 🤣) at stock settings, bluffed and gave mostly wrong answers.

The price of a ds1 man.
Hypothetically speaking any software/ plugin you paid 50 or 150 bucks for may be perfectly good and may sound well. or very close in a standard use case scenario nobody said all plugins are bad or unsuable. most of them are all good and usable and largely capture the gist of the sound well enough, i myself would resort to using some plugins if i dont have axe with me.

But to use it on one set of settings with super limited tweaking and conclude the sound is better or comparable on the 50 buck thing with the axe, is not necessarily correct.
The axe is designed to offer much more control for the amp modelling if you know how to do it.

FWIW this is just something we guys would discuss or notice as guitar players. an average metal listener, who doesnt play guitar is not even going to be able to seperate the sound of 5153 from 5150 or prs archon for that matter. because to some people all distortion is same.

Back
Top Bottom