Protecting Your Gear (From Careless People)

If someone wants to know whether there is live after death, he should only do with my gear what the guy in your church did. Can't stand other people that don't take care of things that don't belong to them. Next time take his wife - without asking him....but that could maybe hurt yourself more than him....

Sometimes, you'd think that with all the crap we have deal with that no one in their right mind would ever want to play out.

I always have a sharpie and a roll of tape and a few sheets of paper in my gig bag with all my cables.

Simple writing "EXTREMELY VOLATILE : PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH, CALL 555-555-5555 if you need it moved."

No one has ever touched my stuff.

I remember one story where a girl's handbag somehow flew through the air and landed on tone generator button on the mixer. Instant death to all hf elements in the pa.

Or how about being on break, and going to the bar while you have house music playing through your PA.
You then hear crackle, pop and the PA music shuts off.
You run over to the stage and find a bunch of girls dancing on the stage, and one of them dropped her Captain & Coke on your Midas Venice mixer. (yes, that's a $4k+ mixer).
Mixer is dead. Gig is over.
And the club is pissed because you didn't finish the gig.

True story. Was my buddy's band playing at a bar in CT.

Or how about being on break, and going to the bar while you have house music playing through your PA.
You run over to the stage and find a bunch of girls dancing on the stage, and one of them dropped her Captain & Coke on your Midas Venice mixer. (yes, that's a $4k+ mixer).

Did he have to eat the cost of the Mixer?

I was at a gig of a good friend of mine when all of a sudden he reached over and cold cocked the other guitar player. My friend had just bought a brand new orange amp. Man that thing was orange.... and beautiful. What I didn't know at the time was that the other guitar player had laid a cigarette his new amp leaving a huge burn right on top of it.

What a great gig that was...

Dude, that's horrible...

Here's the bags I use now:

Amazon.com: S C Johnson Wax Ziploc3pk Xxl Bigbag 65645 Bags Closet Storage: Kitchen & Dining

They make smaller ones, but these fit over the large size pedaltrain.

Here's a bad phone pic that I just took to give you and idea of what it looks like. I used to wrap it in plastic food wrap at every gig, but there were still seams where liquids could seep through when a beer is spilled on it. I actually owe thanks to another Fractal forum member for turning me on to the bags, I just can't remember who it was:)

This picture makes it look a bit more raggedy than it actually is, but this bag has been on it for over a month through 3 or 4 gigs.

View attachment 20392

I should also add that there is very, very little interference with using the pedals or MFC under the bag.

Thanks GuitarJim. I've ordered some. The live monitor problem isn't so easily solved. So I keep mine all passive with the guitar backline as... backline.

Aside from gigging out we (my bass player and I) run some high end PA gear. We get hired by lots of local bands and festivals in our area. He has insurance on his stuff to cover anything crazy going down outside of normal wear and tear (XLR cables going bad, etc). We carry liability insurance too if we're having to raise the speakers more than our normal gigs. Pretty sure my Axe and MFC are covered under our main policy.

Back
Top Bottom