Proper bug and feature request tracking system please

dtanner

Is anyone else pained by using a forum for feature requests and bugs? I find it tedious to the point where I just don't bother. I'd wager Tom and Cliff aren't getting as quite a clear line to their users because of this too.

Suggestion: Get an issue/bug tracking system where feature requests and bugs can be properly categorized, prioritized, voted on, commented on, and searched on. Since you guys don't want to be in the server business, I'd suggest something hosted, and there's quite a few tools out there that would really help us all out in this area.

In my opinion, bugs are fixed at astonishing speed. A bug in the chorus was fixed the next day in new firmware (just for that one bug). I have no complaints about the current system. You can email bugs directly to Fractal as well. They respond. FAST.

Same for feature requests.

Thread moved. Please make sure to place your posts in the proper forum. This one is a request, ergo it belongs in the "Wish List" forum.

dtanner said:
Is anyone else pained by using a forum for feature requests and bugs?
Uhh, no. You're the first user in more than two years who has complained about this.

I find it tedious to the point where I just don't bother.
Yet somehow it's not too tedious to compose a post to complain about it. Hmmm....

Suggestion: Get an issue/bug tracking system where feature requests and bugs can be properly categorized, prioritized, voted on, commented on, and searched on.
Seems to me like you've already got that. JMHO....

My apologies - based on the tone of your reply, I seem to have come across as a little bitchy. Didn't mean to. To clarify - I appreciate the awesome support we get - I just think a forum tool is flaky for the communication process.

Jay Mitchell said:
Thread moved. Please make sure to place your posts in the proper forum. This one is a request, ergo it belongs in the "Wish List" forum.

dtanner said:
Uhh, no. You're the first user in more than two years who has complained about this.

Yet somehow it's not too tedious to compose a post to complain about it. Hmmm....

[quote:1675q1so]Suggestion: Get an issue/bug tracking system where feature requests and bugs can be properly categorized, prioritized, voted on, commented on, and searched on.
Seems to me like you've already got that. JMHO....[/quote:1675q1so]
We have it, but I think we're stretching the bounds of user forum software. For example, a lot of wish list posts aren't polls (people forget), so you can't vote on them. Searching is tough because the phpBB software can get a little too aggressive in its filtering, and I don't know how todo items are actually prioritized.

Again, this isn't a huge issue for me, just something that seems could be improved. And maybe customers would get confused if they have to go to one more place for information. If you guys think changing it would get in the way of your awesome progress, by all means ignore this suggestion.

dtanner said:
To clarify - I appreciate the awesome support we get - I just think a forum tool is flaky for the communication process.
If you're saying that this forum software/hosting is flaky, I agree 100%. It's a lot better now than it has been in the past, however.

Searching is tough because the phpBB software can get a little too aggressive in its filtering,
Agreed.

and I don't know how todo items are actually prioritized.
It's Cliff's company, his forum, and he gets to set his priorities and decide what to disclose. From my observations of his responses to legitimate issues over the past two+ years, I'd say his priorities lie with relentless development and improvement of the product and with paying close attention to customer requests, but that's nothing more than an educated guess.

If you guys think changing it would get in the way of your awesome progress,
See the sticky here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=658 . "We" are not Fractal Audio Systems. We are volunteer moderators who AFAIK also all happen to be Axe-Fx owners/users.

The suggestion is where it should be, and my money says Cliff has already read it.

dtanner said:
No, I'm not.

Do you normally give up that easy? ;)

I'd wager Tom and Cliff aren't getting as quite a clear line to their users because of this too.
They're getting what they pay for. If they think improving the pipeline is worth it they will allocate the resources to get it done.

A majority of the feature requests here are repetitive or absurd, IMO. Most folks ask for features they will never get because either they can't understand the vision Cliff has for the Axe-FX or they don't take the time to learn about his vision. I don't claim to be an expert on said vision but I feel I get the gist of it. As far as polls go, I don't think they make much of a difference. If someone suggests a feature that Cliff thinks is right for the Axe-FX he considers it. Implementing a new feature is never as easy as most people think.

I work in software development so I report bugs and I fix them. I personally don't think anything critical is falling through the cracks. Besides, we have no idea what goes on with bugs and "wish list" items in-house at FA. I'm sure they find their share of bugs and I'm also sure they have their own wish list. FA has been outstanding in listening to their customer base and responding in a timely fashion. I'll go so far as to say that even if bugs and wish lists items were organized to the degree you suggest, they'd still end up with data that mostly redundant and/or pointless. To top it off, they would end up wasting resources on managing the data that could otherwise be used to improve the product.

Since this started in the wrong forum category, I'm not sure if you're talking about Axe-Fx bugs or Axe-Edit bugs.

Can you clarify?

It's my understand that the OP "wishes" that FA would improve their bug tracking and feature request pipeline. This thread is like a turducken. ;)

Matt_B said:
I work in software development so I report bugs and I fix them. I personally don't think anything critical is falling through the cracks. Besides, we have no idea what goes on with bugs and "wish list" items in-house at FA. I'm sure they find their share of bugs and I'm also sure they have their own wish list. FA has been outstanding in listening to their customer base and responding in a timely fashion. I'll go so far as to say that even if bugs and wish lists items were organized to the degree you suggest, they'd still end up with data that mostly redundant and/or pointless. To top it off, they would end up wasting resources on managing the data that could otherwise be used to improve the product.

+1

I'm sure Cliff & Co. have their own ideas as to what their priorities are in terms of wish list requests, bug fixes, and their own improvements. The wish list we have here is a privilege for us, and we're lucky to have it. I'd say there aren't many companies around paying this much attention to what their product users are asking for. For us to be putting priorities on things I think is assuming a bit too much. Cliff can quite easily see what we want here, as well as what bugs are being reported (and whatever else he's finding himself). If anyone knows what's best in terms of prioritising changes/fixes/etc., I would imagine it's him. :?

Back
Top Bottom