Program change sound dropout

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
When I bought my first axe fx ultra there was no dropout when changing preset. Now it is a major pain in the ass when changing preset (fx 2) with the mfc. What happened ?

does this happen with nothing connected to the AxeFx (no MIDI, usb, etc.), and changing presets via front panel only?

does this happen with nothing connected to the AxeFx (no MIDI, usb, etc.), and changing presets via front panel only?

As I said, I use the pedalbord and that's it. It wouldnt be convenient to switch from the panel during a live song.
I use the data network cabel. But of course I can compare even if I couldnt use it that way anyhow.

The Ultra had just as much drop out.
Are you using Axe-edit with it while changing presets?
No no axe edit. Just as a liverig.
My ultra was really fast changing presets. That was one of the reasons I bought it. Right now it's not very usuable since you have to take a brake everytime you switch preset.
I might have to start messing with scenes and stuff, if that is a faster way.

No no axe edit. Just as a liverig.
My ultra was really fast changing presets. That was one of the reasons I bought it. Right now it's not very usuable since you have to take a brake everytime you switch preset.
I might have to start messing with scenes and stuff, if that is a faster way.

no drop out at all if you do it right with scenes. My philosophy is one preset / song if at all possible.

no drop out at all if you do it right with scenes. My philosophy is one preset / song if at all possible.

+1 If you're willing to make the effort to program each song. It can be done.

@Thomas: there always has been a dropout when switching presets. With the Standard/Ultras too.

Preset switching speed these days should only be around 20 - 30 ms, which still is fast.

In my experience it helps to:
- keep CPU low in each preset;
- use the same amount of Amp blocks in each preset.

Drop outs are from using a lot of different settings from one preset to the next. Even using scenes if you are changing many things (especially amp and cab) there will always be a drop out.

Are you switching from Amp Block 1 in one Preset, to Amp Block 2 in another Thomas..?

Hi, no actually not !
I have all presets configured in the same way ,with global delays and reverbs. The only thing I change is the amp modell. Someimes the delay is on intead of off . All use amp 1.

Last edited:
I agree — this is a huge problem. Having the signal drop even for a split second is unacceptable to the point where if I want to apply a flanger or drive for a part of any tune, I won't do it; I'll just play it through with the same sound. It's bad enough that the midi pedal buttons are so small. But then if I do manage to get the right one, I have to stop playing in advance, to prepare fore the program change, then hit the pedal, and then wait to play again. This mechanized process takes away from the feel and stomping action I'm doing.

Because the dropout is delayed, when I hit the preset, there's a pause, then a signal loss, and then the new signal kicks in. While there are many great reasons to add drive or flanger to a sound, this setup just doesn't work.

What options are there? Scenes? What are those? Can I make it faster by using a shorter or special kind of midi cable? Or is there another connector? How can I eliminate the drop out? Can I add RAM to the AxeFX somehow, maybe? And would that help?

Thank you,

Last edited:
It's bad enough that the midi pedal buttons are so small. But then if I do manage to get the right one
it sounds like small frustrations are creating a tizzy of feelings toward the gear in general. are you referring to the MFC? those are industry standard sized switches.

What options are there? Scenes? What are those? Can I make it faster by using a shorter or special kind of midi cable? Or is there another connector? How can I eliminate the drop out? Can I add RAM to the AxeFX somehow, maybe? And would that help?
presets have always had an audio gap. a lot of gear has an audio gap when changing channels or presets, even real amps. this is not new and not unique to the Axe-Fx.

if you want to engage a Flanger, just create and press a switch for Flanger. there is no audio gap when you do that. done. simple.

you can indeed use Scenes. please watch my video on Scenes to understand exactly what they are. it is long, but explains it so people can understand it.

Reactions: APE
I agree — this is a huge problem. Having the signal drop even for a split second is unacceptable to the point where if I want to apply a flanger or drive for a part of any tune, I won't do it; I'll just play it through with the same sound.

Same sound, plus a flanger and and drive? Changing the preset for that kind of a tiny change is "wrong". Not that you can't do that, but it's a LOT more efficient to just switch the flanger block on within the same preset. You can do this by directly controlling the block(s), or via scenes. Scenes can switch all blocks on/off at once with one click, so they're very useful for this stuff. And with 0 dropout. (If not changing amp block X/Y-states...)

As you dig in to the product capabilities, you might go through a few phases in the learning curve:
1. Use separate patches like in other products---sound dropout when switching
2. Use scenes, with different XY settings for components... less dropout but still some
3. Use pedal as external controller on a mixer block, to fade between two amps and sounds without requiring a scene change at all
4. Use scenes, with scene controllers to modify a few params and stop using XY changes as much for amps or drive or reverb or whatever

If you spend some time, you can achieve the sound changes you want without sound dropouts. But there is no "easy" button to make it happen. You've got to commit to learning the intricacies of the concepts and AxeFX implementation of those concepts. Good luck! Learning all this stuff can become a second hobby apart from actually playing music.

Hate to resurrect a zombie thread...but this is a subject near and dear to my heart.
I’ve been an Axe FX user since early first-gen. I bought one of the first Ultras. I also own a II XL+ and a III.

I gigged my Ultra for over ten years, to include a long time after buying the II. I just didn’t have time to duplicate all of my live patches. But after getting a III I finally got around to programming all of my live patches into the II XL+. (I use about 30). The glitches between patches are unnerving.

To the poster who suggested the Ultra had just as much dropout, no. Patch changes in the Ultra were essentially seamless. Stomp and go, just like changing channels on an amp. You had to really program some vastly different stuff to get the Ultra to demonstrate any audible latency between patches. I gigged one for ten years and know this feature inside and out. Sadly, I may need to go back to it over this. The difference in latency in the II is dramatic and unnerving, the OP hit it right on the head.

Sure...more powerful, realer, etc. I do like the feel better in the II (running Ares). But it’s a steep price to pay.

Like an earlier poster, I also often switch between patches that are identical except for amp models. I suppose I could try some scenes that turn one off and one on, but my reading to date suggests that this is still not an perfect solution. No, I don’t want to morph...I use my cc’s for other more important things,

Just a little whining here and a shoutout for advice. Cliff, I would happily trade off some CPU horsepower to get the seamless preset changes back. I know the III is the thing now so I don’t expect any tweaks to the II (thanks for Ares though). I’d be happy to use the III live and the II XL+ in the studio if that would solve the problem...but it’s unclear to me at this point if the III is any faster.

Anyhow, I’ll play around with scenes and see how it goes. Advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom