Product Suggestion (Mockups Contained...)

Raven

Well, as an Axe-FX user who currently uses my ULTRA solely for recording, I'm starting to come round to the fact that I could really wave goodbye to tube amps altogether & start taking it out live should I wish. However, on doing research, there's one thing that prevents me from doing this & that's the fact that the 'ideal' power amp solution just isn't out there. Now, I do realise that a lot of people use guitar tube power amps & disable the sims in the unit, but to me that defeats a lot of the flexibility of the Axe-FX. What about the Atomic powered cabs one might say, well again, if I'm going to have the hassle of tubes then I may as well stick to my favourite real guitar amp. Okay, so what about things like the Matrix GT800FX? Well, we're getting close, but it's too limiting in terms of use if you ask me. Firstly, I can't use my favourite Greenback loaded guitar cab with it without worrying because, as with most SS power amps, the thing is just to damn powerful for anything but FRFR systems in all honesty. There's also that little problem that countless people seem to have, the fact that your perfect patches that you've spent hours upon hours tweaking are going to sound different through the different stage monitors at different venues (hell, they'll even sound different just because of the difference of the acoustic space) & I really don't want to have to be fiddling with my patches on stage & I certainly don't want to be saving any alterations as I already have them set perfectly for my recording setup at home. So, here's what I propose....

The Axe-Power:
attachment.php

attachment.php

A 1U SS power amp made by Fractal Audio in the styling of the Axe-FX & with features that would make it the IDEAL poweamp solution for the Axe. Here's how it works:

It's a 400 watt SS power amp, sporting 2 channels that put out 200 watts each ...but there's more to it than that. :)

Firstly, notice that there's 4 output jacks on the back of the unit, 2 per channel, & also notice the little switches above the jacks. Basically, with the switches to the left, you'd get 100 watt output from each jack (200 watts per channel). This would enable you to connect anywhere from 1 to 4 cabs &, as it's only putting 100 watts out of each jack, it'd be safe for you to connect up your favourite regular guitar cab. However, if you slide the switches to the right, it would disable the secondary outputs on each channel & then you'd get all 200 watts coming out of the first output jack on both sides. This would be the best mode to use with FRFR cabs that sport a high power handing (such as the Atomic passive cabs ;-).

Over to the front...

Notice how cool it would be to have a power amp that would match up aesthetically with the Axe-FX! You get a volume knob for each channel (both with double VU meters above that show how much signal is being passed to the respective output jacks) & you get a 'HI' knob & a 'LO' knob.

Now, the Hi & LO knobs are something that would be REAL important to me & would offer something that other power amps don't: The ability to tweak the EQ live, on the fly, the same way as you would on a REAL amp without having to alter your beloved patches!!! Basically, all the way up would allow all frequencies straight through without any alteration & this would be the natural voice coming from your Axe. However, got a particularly cavernous room & your low end's bouncing all over the place, or perhaps you're stuck with a particularly woolly PA? No worries, dial down the LO knob to filter off some of the bottom end & hey presto! Hang on, Maybe the venue has particularly harsh on-stage monitors & the high end is cutting through you like a knife? Well, dial down the Hi knob to pull back on the HI's then! ...& guess what, it was as easy as tweaking the EQ on your old tube amp & you haven't messed up your patches in the process either! :)

....Forgive the tongue in cheek manner of my post by the way, I've just driven myself mad looking at power amp options for the Axe the last few days & can't find anything that does what I want & my mind started running away with me. Joking aside though, I really wish Cliff would release something like this, it seems like the Axe is only half the battle for all but studio work. Something like this from Fractal themselves would seem like a no brainer to me & would be an essential add-on sale for every Axe-FX owner methinks. ....let me know what you think!? :)

Attachments

• front1U.jpg
    front1U.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 157
  • back1U.jpg
    back1U.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Here's a mockup of the 2 together, wouldn't it be nice!? :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2together.jpg
    2together.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 138
The high and lo thing is overly simple IMO. I'd rather see the Axe-Fx global EQ applied as a graphic EQ with sliders. The signal meters are a bit overly simple (just like they are on the Axe-Fx) and thus not very good for anything except indicating when the amp is clipping.

Still, I don't think it would be a bad product at all.

The high and lo thing is overly simple IMO. I'd rather see the Axe-Fx global EQ applied as a graphic EQ with sliders.
The idea was to keep it simple, I don't feel that it should be any more complicated that turning the knobs on an actual guitar amp, we have all the complexity we need in the Axe itself. The HI/LO idea was just a simple way to deal with problematic frequencies, on the hop, in a live setting (which almost always seem to be either the lows or the highs). If one was in need of changing their EQ in a more in-depth way then I'd imagine that maybe they do need to look at their patches as that would venture past minimal tweaking to compensate for room/monitor discrepancies in my opinion. I don't think this feature should be there with the intention of dialing in EQ, but as a quick problem solver to compensate for the variables outside of the Axe itself.

The signal meters are a bit overly simple (just like they are on the Axe-Fx) and thus not very good for anything except indicating when the amp is clipping.
To be honest, I don't really think that you need VU's to indicate volume on a power amp, they're more there for aesthetic continuity than anything else. I do think it's handy to be able to monitor clipping though (as it would be good to be able to check that spikes aren't hitting the speakers).

Still, I don't think it would be a bad product at all.
Thanks, let's just hope that Cliff will make it for me!! Hehe :)

Last edited:
I've just noticed that this has been moved the the 'lounge', sorry if I posted in the wrong place, maybe it should go in the 'Wish List' section instead?

To be honest, I don't really think that you need VU's to indicate volume on a power amp, they're more there for aesthetic continuity than anything else. I do think it's handy to be able to monitor clipping though (as it would be good to be able to check that spikes aren't hitting the speakers).
The output level LEDs as you have them (signal/almost clipping/clipping) would be great for gain staging.

I think that you have a great concept here Raven and I hope that Cliff gives it due consideration if he hasn't already. Nice work.

Back
Top Bottom