Problems with v6

Inspired
I've no idea what to do...
when installing v6 it asks you to manually reboot, it does a bit of work for a while, then it says it hasn't detected a signal from the Axe then it says to manually reboot again...
I've tried installing v6 twice and put the new Axe-Edit in my computer twice.
When I used Axe-Edit Banks, [I put v6 banks ABC in the 'Axe-Edit' folder of Axe-Edit], the sounds became cheap and nasty. When I switched off the Axe-Edit and manually changed the preset, then set it back to same one again [e.g. Plexi Normal] it sounded great. I had tried to send the whole v6 bank files to Axe-Edit, by right clicking on a bank file and selecting a send to Axe option, they didn't show. I tried a different method, I brought up bank A in Axe-Edit [axe manage], so I could see all the individual presets and selected something like 'send bank to axe fx'. It got worse. Now, sounds 0-127 sound terrible, even if I use the Axe without Axe-Edit.
I don't know what's gone wrong here. I went from 5.04 to 5.07 absolutely no probs.
My Axe has also been exhibiting various bizarre behaviours, e.g. after my first firmware update attempt and using the new Axe-Edit for the first time, the sound actually stopped in the Axe and the Axe's screen went blank and I also had to shut down the PC by pressing the power button, task manager did nothing. Also, when I selected a different amp model in a preset using Axe-Edit, the horrible sound quality would start again. The only sounds that work are those from the Axe [the option above banks in Axe-Edit], but now bank A has been ruined now, when I sent them across. I'm not sending B and C across or else the whole Axe will become unusable.
Guys, anyone have any ideas?

Maybe could this be the problem...I lifted the zipped files with on a USB stick and put them into my machine. I used WINRAR to open them, maybe that's the problem.
If I start completely from scratch again tomorrow, does this sound o.k?
I will remove the Axe-Edit and driver.
Put the driver in first, then install Axe-Edit [after making sure that any files used have been unzipped rather than un-RARed]. Try the firmware update again.
Is there anything else I need to do before starting from scratch again with the actual Axe hardware. like some sorta system reset or something?

That is a legacy thing that needs to be changed in axe-edit. It sound like you update went fine.
After you do the reboot on the Axe-fx just click abort in axe-edit.

but it sound like you got the firmware update just fine.

It sounds like you are just not getting the presets in right. I don't have time to give details right now. Maybe someone else can hop on and help.

The editor does not know the update has finished. When you reboot the Axe you must also shut down and restart the editor.

Thanks Guys! In the intervening time, without changing the driver or Axe-Edit I managed to successfully go back to v5.07! Although the 'FAT' switch is still there, for example, nothing happens when it is switched on as it's not in v5.
I'm glad you mentioned the abort thing as I was wondering if that's normal 'cos I got that message as well. One other thing I would like to check with you guys about how the Axe behaves...when I move a knob in Axe-Edit, often I can see the same one also simultaneously moving in the little green screen of the Axe. But when I move a knob on the Axe, I don't see the same knob move in Axe-Edit, nothings happens. Is this the same with you guys? Just want to check it's o.k.
I have re-downloaded the v6 and the banks again. It was much much swifter than earlier today...it took such a long time. I don't know if a really slow download can corrupt files or not, but I did it anyway. I will unpack them with WinZip [not WinRar], and try again. And I don't think I need to uninstall everything.
I will let y'all know if I have any success.
What was happening more specifically, was that I would select a sound from an Axe-Edit bank [A, B, or C] from Axe-Manage and it would sound great very briefly then it would change suddenly. You could actually hear the change as well, as if a vampire was sucking out the tone of the preset.
I can't remember guys, maybe that's what I did: I updated the banks without re-starting the editor. I'll just need to try again. I did successfully put all of v5's banks back into the Axe without any problems.

make sure to check the Utility on the unit to be sure. Axe Edit did the same for me, did that and knew I wasn't gonna go crazy

Axe-Edit (even the latest version that fixed the B,C bank loading issue) is inconsistently borking presets when making changes. I've gone from good sound to brittle sounding just by changing the amp selection back and forth. Eventually all of the parameters get set properly and it's back to sounding good. Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time to find a reproducible case of this but it has happened enough times that I'm absolutely sure there's a problem. I think people are experiencing this and it's being confused with other issues.

This has been brought to the developer's attention as urgent.

I predict 1.0.300 tomorrow.

@ grape. You are bang on the money, dude.

I updated the Axe again, but just with version 6 firmware, not the preset banks. Here's the behaviour in more detail. I had a brainwave when I remembered an old post prior to when I got my Axe [i.e. pre 5.04]. Basically it was something to do with switching the AMP type to another type and back again to the original, to sort out a tone problem? So I did some [non-sonic] experiments. I'll focus on just one parameter from one preset. Other AMPs and parameters are affected. I also didn't get the Looper black to function at all [even to loop] during my previous install of v6. Switching on the metronome from Axe-Edit Looper also did nothing, but it can be activated from the hardware, you'll find it using the Tempo button. I also notice if I tap a tempo using the my mouse and the Tempo button in Axe-Edit, the tempo on the Axe hardware display changes also, but it is rarely ever the same as the tempo displayed in Axe-Edit. Solution? Just tap the tempo using the Axe's tempo button and type the very same tempo as a number into Axe-Edit, that way they'll match.

Patch '59 Bassguy'...
Using Axe alone, patch loads with SUPPLY SAG @ 3.33. Turn TYPE to another amp and back to original amp in patch, SUPPLY SAG becomes 2.00. ***Please bear in mind I have 5.07 presets stored on the Axe at the moment!***
If an 59 Bassguy AMP block is loaded onto an empty block on the grid, it loads with SUPPLY SAG @ 2.00.

Using Axe-Edit with Axe [USB], patch '59 Bassguy'... [from BANK A v6]...
Loads with SUPPLY SAG @ 2.00. Switch AMP and back, SUPPLY SAG @ 3.00 in Axe-Edit, but 2.00 in Axe hardware display. Loading a new 59 Bassguy onto an empty grid block results in SUPPLY SAG @ 3.00. Also 3.00 in the Axe itself.
Switching the AMP by using the Axe hardware straight after loading in the preset via Axe-Edit gives a SUPPLY SAG of 2.00.

This happens with various amps, not same figures but the same principle. e.g. the '65 Bassguy' patch and AMP block and others.

So there we have it, three different values for SUPPLY SAG. Will the real Slim Shady Bassman please stand up, please stand up? lol. I wasn't plugged in, I was just trying to find an answer by examining the system late last night. What should the correct value for SUPPLY SAG be? Haven't auditioned anything yet, just back from work.

I haven't loaded in v6 presets again into the Axe hardware memory since the tone-sucking vamp went for the sonic jugular big-time yesterday, so I haven't researched their behaviour yet.

By the way, how did I get the v6 presets in? In case I did something wrong...I pasted them in the Axe-Edit Banks folder after installing Axe-Edit. They can be opened up from either Axe-Edit or Axe-Manage. I did this with v5 previously and no probs.

Guys, I think I'm just about there now, I'll explain...
Last night I put the Bank A of v6 on. I used the Axe standalone. The tone sucking thing stopped. Vintage amps sounded passable, but through effects, not great. Modern high gain were terribly trebly. The most bizarre behaviour was with the Solo Crunch Rhythm preset and the Solo Lead preset. The crunch sounded fine with my normal tone position, but the lead sounded awful. The treble could not be controlled at all. The worst one was the Euro Red. Despite all this, it seemed as if something had improved and that something wasn't set right.

Today, I spied my expression pedal connected to my Axe out the corner of my eye, set at the maximum position. I hadn't been using it for about a week, it gave me no probs lying there when I used v5, but I wondered if the system had gone 'haywire' and that simply having the thing connected might be causing this? So I decided to do the system reset from the utility menu. I didn't bother before because I only had the one expression pedal connected to it, I didn't use advanced midi settings, etc. The results speak for themselves. What I don't know is was the pedal causing all this? Don't know, it could have been anything, maybe even a Global eq was set funny. The system reset cured 'it' whatever 'it' was.

As an apology to you guys and for any confusion I may have caused, I would like to offer you my own experiences of 30 mins with the fast lady known as v6!
I am using a modified Jem77BRMR's Evo2 pickup in the bridge for this and headphones. I am also doing the 'amp switching' thing but not storing the sounds yet. I have a question at the end related to this that may help me nail things if two of you respond so I can check. I haven't checked out the behaviour of the Axe with Axe-Edit yet, it was just used to put Bank A v6 in, then I used the Axe standalone.

I got my Axe 27/02/12 with v5.04. One of the things I noticed is that dynamics now defaults at 0% and puzzled, I then found a post from Cliff mentioning why. I found when I played a clean amp, vintage or modern, if I played an arpeggio and did an upstroke on the 'g', it always seemed to sound too loud and harsh, no matter what I did. That's now gone! In general I find problems I had with the tone of the unwound strings have gone or reduced. I found with high-gain sounds, the treble strings don't sound as harsh or compressed, and I don't have to immediately use RedWirez to sort this. I found with v5 a bit too much pick noise in general. This is not a problem anymore.
Has the interaction betweeen the AMP and CAB blocks been improved? When I select the Solo Crunch preset I can really 'feel' the rumble of the cabinet. The effects even feel as if they've improved, might be because the amp modelling going through them now is of increased quality.
The Euro Red was still too trebly. All I did was turn the treble down about '1', easily fixed! No probs with Solo lead, sounds great. Some of you have commented on how easy it is to dial in tone now, I am finding this too. The high-gain amps sound great, to me before they sounded a bit harsh and trebly.
By the way, this is a good one...I took a vintage clean amp, turned the dynamics up to former default of 25% and the annoying thing with 'g' upstroke came back! I think that control may be redundant for me now.
The effect of the motor drive is now more dramatic, you can really hear it.
Have you played with comb filtering yet? I was confused by this, I thought a phaser was a comb filter and that using this function would cause a nasty flanging effect. Not at all. I took the Euro Uber preset, sorta liked it. Normally I found this amp too harsh and trebly, not now. In fact I wanted more treble. What I did was to adjust the delay on the right cabinet [after panning both cabs to 0%] until I felt the sound was more defined, then I reduced the level of the left cabinet to take the excess mud out of the sound, put up the overall level to compensate for the loss in volume and it sounded great! You can do many things, depending on which cabinet you use, etc. If a sound is too harsh you can get it to sound 'cloudier' without eq-ing, almost like you're adding a bit of 'off axis' flavour. There is something I need to try. Would setting the left cabinet delay at 0 and the right at 30ms have the same effects as setting the left at 70ms and the right at 100ms?
The new definition control is great. It's so good it never makes anything sound bad, used in moderation. I took the Shiva Lead preset, put the definition to +2, then -2. Set at these, or even '0', the amp still sounds great, it's just a matter of taste! I also took the Fender Deluxe and it sounded a little 'dusty', so I dialled in some positive definiton, and it's like having an 'updated' Fender, amazing.
I didn't really like the AC30s before, now they have a lovely liquidy twang to them. My favourite Fender was the Deluxe, I found that the Twin Reverb sounds greatly improved so much that it's giving me problems now as regards my Deluxe favouritism. I enjoyed playing with this new version 6 so much for half an hour, both hands were close to shaking when I was making a coffee! Yes, to me it sounded THAT good.

All in all, this is a fantastic upgrade, the Fractal dudes must have sweated blood over this. Cynical people may make comments about the 'constant improvement' but of course that 's going to happen. No-one's gone as far as Cliff has in modelling amps digitally so OF COURSE it's going to improve as he discovers new things as he goes along. He's out there on his own, far beyond the normal 'solar system' of amp modelling, nobody knows 'everything' yet about amp modelling, so the only way is forward.

On to my question. Please ignore my previous posts re: Axe behaviour. Now, with v6 Bank A and v6 installed, 59 Bassguy has a SUPPLY SAG @ 2.00, no matter if it's switched or not. BUT when I load '001 65 Bassguy', the SUPPLY SAG is 2.92 and becomes 1.00 when I amp switch. It is also 1.00 when I load a 65 Bassguy onto the grid. Naturally it always goes back to 2.92 if I switch presets and return 'cos I'm not saving them yet.

Guys, is 1.00 the default setting when you load a 65 Bassguy? Not only do I want to check if the amp switching is necessary, but that I have the same value as you guys.

Thanks.

Reactions: yek
Guys, is 1.00 the default setting when you load a 65 Bassguy? Not only do I want to check if the amp switching is necessary, but that I have the same value as you guys.

Thanks.
1.00 is the default for Supply Sag for that model now, I believe. 2.92 is the value that was saved for that specific preset.

@ VegaBaby. Thank you for your reply. It seems to have cleared things up!

Am I right...when you upgraded to v6, you didn't need to 'amp switch'?

Before I read your post, I had done the amp switching with all banks and saved it.
I did this because I thought the presets would all have the same advanced settings for the amp type, for the purpose of consistency. After your reply, I had a look at the banks supplied by Fractal: I called up some presets, brought up a new, default amp of the same type and compared dynamics settings...000 59 Bassguy, quite a few of these have been changed, same with 278 New Country. Must be the right settings, as I compared some of the Fractal sounds [the ones that had changed the most from default] with my saved ones and the Fractal ones were better. I've now loaded the Fractal banks back in. It's interesting if some the advanced settings have been tinkered with, that's like REALLY setting a
preset, going beyond the mere bass, treble, presence, etc.

It turns out, looking back, the v6 and attendant presets must have loaded in no probs, it was just the system reset that was the problem. I am new to the Axe, I upgraded it from

5.04 to 5.07 with no probs, I'm not sure if it was made clear about the system reset matter or I have missed it?

Axe-Edit seems to be behaving itself. Since you're a beta-tester; I have found only one small thing with my Axe-Edit so far. Not sure if other people's does this. 59 Bassguy [I refer to the AMP type not the preset] defaults SUPPLY SAG @ 2.00 when called up the Axe. But it defaults @ 2.00 in the Axe but 3.00 in AxeEdit, when called up in Axe-Edit. If you save that preset, select another one and come back, the value is now 3.00 in the Axe hardware. A small thing, I tried 10-15 amps quickly and they seem to be fine. What to do is to remember to manually change the value to 2.00 in Axe Edit before saving.

Again, thanks for your help VegaBaby, and I hope you are enjoying v6 as much as I am.

On a (kind of) side note, (sorry if this has been asked before), but I can't seem to find the mid boost param. in axe edit. Will this be fixed in the updated axe edit?

@ VegaBaby. Thank you for your reply. It seems to have cleared things up!

Am I right...when you upgraded to v6, you didn't need to 'amp switch'?

Before I read your post, I had done the amp switching with all banks and saved it.
I did this because I thought the presets would all have the same advanced settings for the amp type, for the purpose of consistency. After your reply, I had a look at the banks supplied by Fractal: I called up some presets, brought up a new, default amp of the same type and compared dynamics settings...000 59 Bassguy, quite a few of these have been changed, same with 278 New Country. Must be the right settings, as I compared some of the Fractal sounds [the ones that had changed the most from default] with my saved ones and the Fractal ones were better. I've now loaded the Fractal banks back in. It's interesting if some the advanced settings have been tinkered with, that's like REALLY setting a
preset, going beyond the mere bass, treble, presence, etc.

It turns out, looking back, the v6 and attendant presets must have loaded in no probs, it was just the system reset that was the problem. I am new to the Axe, I upgraded it from

5.04 to 5.07 with no probs, I'm not sure if it was made clear about the system reset matter or I have missed it?

Axe-Edit seems to be behaving itself. Since you're a beta-tester; I have found only one small thing with my Axe-Edit so far. Not sure if other people's does this. 59 Bassguy [I refer to the AMP type not the preset] defaults SUPPLY SAG @ 2.00 when called up the Axe. But it defaults @ 2.00 in the Axe but 3.00 in AxeEdit, when called up in Axe-Edit. If you save that preset, select another one and come back, the value is now 3.00 in the Axe hardware. A small thing, I tried 10-15 amps quickly and they seem to be fine. What to do is to remember to manually change the value to 2.00 in Axe Edit before saving.

Again, thanks for your help VegaBaby, and I hope you are enjoying v6 as much as I am.
after upgrading it's mostly recommended to reset the amps ("amp switching") at least for the presets that you use. however, doing a system reset is not always necesary. sometimes a new firmware just fixes a few bugs you may not even be aware of and a system reset is not needed (it can't hurt though, except for your settings done in the i/o menue etc. are being reverted to default).

yes, a lot of the new patches have also tweaks to the advanced parameters of the amps, not just your usual BMT settings. also, advanced settings are (you're probably aware of this already) not the same for all models. some share some of the same values for certain parameters, but not all.

Supply Sag acting a bit funky in Axe Edit is a tiny little bug. it's known already and being addressed ;)

hope that helps a little !

On a (kind of) side note, (sorry if this has been asked before), but I can't seem to find the mid boost param. in axe edit. Will this be fixed in the updated axe edit?
are you referring to the < > swittch underneath the Mid knob on the Axe ? if so, that's actually called the "Fat" switch and if you use the latest version of Axe Edit, you'll find it in the first tab of the amp block (where Bass, Mids, Treble etc. are as well). it's got its own dedicated switch there.

Yeah, I saw the fat switch, just thought that it was different from the "mid boost" thingy, cause in my mind I imagine a boost to be just that... boost, whereas the fat switch is "moving" the tonestack freqs lower (along with the mids) without actually boosting any levels. So basically I thought we were given a fat switch (to lower the tonestack freqs) and a mid-boost switch (to boost the mids).
Thanks for the clarification!
Oh and btw, yesterday I dialed in the best plexi sound for early VH... And I didn't even need the TM block. This firmware is the best ever!

Back
Top Bottom