Problems with the Midi In on my XL

Max Haze

Inspired
Today I wanted to use my Rocktron All Access with a midi cable from the midi out on the All Access and then into the Midi In on the Axe Fx XL. But nothing happens when I'm pressing the buttons. The Midi In light dosen't blink. I have used the same cable from the board into a Boss SY-300 and that works fine. The presets change when I'm pressing the buttons. My first thought was that the Midi In on the XL might be broken but I use a Yamaha MD-BT01 with the Fracpad on my Ipad. The Yamaha MD-BT01 is connected to the Midi In and Out on the XL. I have tried a couple of cables. I have also tried a couple of settings. I had the Axe Fx II Mark II before and the Rocktron All Access was working fine with that unit. What could it be?

Well... I'm stumped. It sounds like you've tried everything, and I can't think of another test. Also, I think @bondsong is right. I'm pretty sure the Midi light would blink even if you were on the wrong midi channel... But I'd check that.

I tried some different midi channels. I tried to use the Boss SY-300 as a midi pedal. If I connect the Boss SY-300 to the Rocktron I can change the preset that way and it works the other way around. I have also controlled the presets on the preset on the Boss SY-300 with the MFC101 and the other way around.

So it feels like a setting in the Axe Fx because I can use the Yamaha MD-BT01 with the Fracpad on my Ipad. When I control the Axe Fx then the Midi In light will blink. So what can be the problem...

This is odd. I can use a midi control surface with rotary encoders (knobs) and I can sign up the knobs to Ext Controls with the learn function. The Midi In light will shine because there is midi going in. So now it's only the preset change that I can't do...

This is odd. I can use a midi control surface with rotary encoders (knobs) and I can sign up the knobs to Ext Controls with the learn function. The Midi In light will shine because there is midi going in. So now it's only the preset change that I can't do...
You've proven that the XL can receive and respond to MIDI commands, and that it's not receiving MIDI from your All Access. That's a start.

in the Axe, try this

I/O / MIDI / MIDI Channel = omni [this setting is after channel 16]
this means that the Axe will be listening / reacting to MIDI on all channels
if this cures it, then you know you have a MIDI channel mismatch. If not you have a different and possibly more difficult problem to address.

Back
Top Bottom