Problems with Java

Tried to run MFC-Edit on my Mac Mini running 10.10.2 and Java 8 U25. I can't start MFC-Edit because it always tells me that there is no actual Java Version available. Tried to install the Java which is download automatically as well as the version linked in the installer. Still not possible to start MFC-Edit. Any Ideas?

Uninstall MFC-Edit - move it to the trash.
Download the latest version and install it.
That should work. If not, please open a ticket.

This problem usally occurs when you complete the MFC-Edit installation with no appropriate version of java installed and try to install the java after installing MFC-Edit. Also, MFC-Edit looks in all the "standard" locations for the installed java. If Java is installed in a location other than the default, MFC-Edit won't find it.

If the problem persists, open a support ticket and I'll help you figure out what the problem is.
-G

just tried to instal and I get "no suitable java runtime detected" but latest java is installed in default location .
tried reinstalling mfc edit after reinstalling java but still the same
osx 10.10.2 on mac pro.

Okay. Open a support ticket and I'll send you some debug commands. I want to be respectful of the forum users and keep the clutter to a minimum.
-G

if you open a terminal and type in the following two commands, what are the results?

java -version

whereis java

should look something like...

Last login: Wed Mar 11 09:31:06 on ttys000
new-host-4:~ {your_user_name}$ java -version
java version "1.8.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b70, mixed mode)
new-host-4:~ {your_user_name}$ whereis java
/usr/bin/java

Last edited:
I've updated the java locator a little to see if that helps with your machine. You'll have to download it from the same link you used at the time of purchase because it isn't uploaded yet to the Update server. You could try moving the current program from your Applications folder to the trash and then install the new one.
-G

I've updated the java locator a little to see if that helps with your machine. You'll have to download it from the same link you used at the time of purchase because it isn't uploaded yet to the Update server. You could try moving the current program from your Applications folder to the trash and then install the new one.
-G

IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR MAC USERS! I found a problem with file/folder permissions (thanks Kevin for your help!). It turns out that not everyone who has the privileges to install an app can create the cache file in the installation folder. I've fixed that and uploaded it to the servers. So if you're on a MAC and you get the "no suitable java found" message when you try to launch MFC-Edit this will solve that problem. Unless of course you really don't have Java 1.8 installed.

Try the link that you used to download when you purchased. If that doesn't work open a ticket and I'll give you a new link.
-G

Back
Top Bottom