Problems with backup

guitardoc

Experienced
When I wanted to back up bank A after today's session using Bot it stopped repeatedly at exactly 33% telling me something about some message timeout.

I checked the presets and found that in one preset the infamous and PITA global blocks bug was back scrambling data in volume blocks which are first in row (and hopefully only there). I manually removed the global data which I never ever used from the preset, rectified the volume blocks, and saved the preset.

However, backing up still stops at precisely 33% with the message timeout.

Backing up bank B went without a glitch, so I think there is still corrupt data somewhere in bank A. I could backup bank A internally though (MkIAxe).

I am a bit pi$$ed off now since there is a major show Friday night and I am not entirely convinced the Axe comes up to my expectations with the global data bug and all. Especially now without external backup.

Is there a way to 'uncorrupt' the bank, make it possible to externally back it up without loads of hassle and even more wasted time and restore my somewhat declined confidence in the Axe's reliability?

And no, there is no backup of bank A - I created the presets from scratch today and some of them are really complex - since I was in the process of backing it up when the ominous timeout error tried to give me a nervous breakdown...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeah, I had this happen to me a few times before and nothing that was posted fixed the issue. What I did was to uninstall both fractal bot and the USB driver and reinstall them again. It's happened to me 2x and both times this fixed it.

Try backing up the presets in bank A one by one. When you reach the troublesome preset it will timeout. Once you've located the corrupt preset you can delete it with Axe-Manage: Presets. There is no way to 'un-corrupt' a preset. The only thing to do is erase it and recreate it if need be.

Thank you for your help.

Today I backed up all presets of bank A individually without any problems. However, Bot told me it was unable to query the preset offset (or somethings like that) at one time and wanted me to make sure that the Axe was connected (which it was of course). After restarting Bot and Axe I was able to backup all remaining presets just fine. In other words, I could not detect a corrupt preset.

Then I deinstalled and reinstalled all Fractal drivers and Bot.

When backing up bank A it still times out at 33%.

IOW, bank A seems to have a glitch while the presets contained in it seem to be fine. Very strange indeed.

Is there anything I can do to make it work (apart from erasing bank A and manually inserting all presets from the individual backups)?

Thanks in advance.

You can back up the entire Bank A with Axe Edit and saving them as individual presets (just select all the bank and Export). As most have posted, the problem is likely to be a broken preset.

Thank you for your help.

Today I backed up all presets of bank A individually without any problems. However, Bot told me it was unable to query the preset offset (or somethings like that) at one time and wanted me to make sure that the Axe was connected (which it was of course). After restarting Bot and Axe I was able to backup all remaining presets just fine. In other words, I could not detect a corrupt preset.

Then I deinstalled and reinstalled all Fractal drivers and Bot.

When backing up bank A it still times out at 33%.

IOW, bank A seems to have a glitch while the presets contained in it seem to be fine. Very strange indeed.

Is there anything I can do to make it work (apart from erasing bank A and manually inserting all presets from the individual backups)?

Thanks in advance.

Stupid question, but I've been told to check the small shit first... do you by chance have a midi controller plugged in and turned on while your're trying to do the backup? I know these guys know a ton more than me and have been around a lot longer but both times I had this issue it had nothing to do with a preset, it really was a communication problem between the Axe and the PC. *here's crossing my fingers for ya*

Stupid question, but I've been told to check the small shit first... do you by chance have a midi controller plugged in and turned on while your're trying to do the backup? I know these guys know a ton more than me and have been around a lot longer but both times I had this issue it had nothing to do with a preset, it really was a communication problem between the Axe and the PC. *here's crossing my fingers for ya*
I've had similar backup challenges for quite some time... other than firmware upgrades (and that includes many, many non-public Beta releases) I have NOT "changed" presets since before Quantum 1 was released.
I have been able to track it down to communication errors (and sometimes a bank write error at the end of the backup sequence) caused by internal OS conflicts.. .IOW - none of my presets are corrupt, but the process can stop (at least on Windows 10) when the USB handles get busy and interrupts the Bot->Axe connectivity... I have not found anything to indicate a "bug" in the backup process...
I mostly get past it by repeated re-tries... YMMV

It happens to me quite frequently; in fact I would say it is rare for me to get a proper backup in one try. I have a fairly long USB connection from AFX to computer which I think may be the culprit (no option to change this). I got a newer cable and it improved noticeably but it still happens quite regularly. Only 'solution' I have found is to keep trying and eventually one will get all the way to the end. It is frustrating.

My AFX also locks up occasionally when using Axe-Edit almost always when changing from one preset to another:
upload_2016-5-18_13-57-23.png
Does not happen with the floorboard. I assume this is related to the cable thing; although it has me worried if it could start happening when switching stuff via the floor. Had not seen it prior to Q2+ FWs and associated AE versions. I've just been living with it for now, but have been considering contacting support over the lock ups.

I generally wish that USB/MIDI connection felt a little more solid or had some auto-retry/time-out control slider I could mess with...

Anyway, FWIW, feel your pain.

I have a pretty long USB cable run (25 ft) and at one end I'm using a hub to connect the Axe. Fortunately I haven't had a problem, but I've only ever backed up twice.

Thank you very much for your support, I really appreciate it.

I did have the MFC connected while backing up. I disconnected it and the backup still timed out at precisely 33% using Bot. If it was at a random number I would have suspected the midi connection, but I use a fairly short USB cable (about 3 ft only) anyway.

I was able to save all presets in bank A using AxeEdit (AxeManage + Export) without any problems at all using the same USB connection. Backing up takes somewhat longer now but this I can live with since I only have to save the presets which I changed.

It looks like I have to chuck Bot and stick with AxeEdit for backing up. However, I suspect AxeEdit is responsible for that ominous Global Blocks glitch which scrambles data in presets. Since one never knows when that PITA bug hits I will have to remember to triple check all presets after disconnecting the Axe from my computer and before hitting the road to do a show.

Thanks again for all your help.

I'm using Windows 10 and I've never succeeded with the Bot program as well. It always times out no matter what I try, what I disconnect or what computer, USB port or cable I use. So I use Axe Edit, until they fix the problem.

I love my axe to no end. It is the best piece of equipment I have ever used, bar none. I have never seen a company hammer out bugs in FW releases quicker and with more efficiency. With that being said, I am surprised that this is still an issue with anyone. When I first got my axe I had this issue and researched it and saw many people from many earlier versions talking about this issue, so it's been around for awhile. This, IMO, is the one and only place Fractal is dropping the ball. Surely we can figure out a reliable way to backup this puppy?

I'm using Windows 10 and I've never succeeded with the Bot program as well. It always times out no matter what I try, what I disconnect or what computer, USB port or cable I use. So I use Axe Edit, until they fix the problem.

I use W10 with no issues with Bot, so it very well may not be an FAS code issue.

Back
Top Bottom