Problems exporting patches that have already been dowloaded.

I have patches already downloaded from axe-change but when I click on them to show up in the edit box some completely unrelated windows media nonsense comes on the screen and says it can"t play this file which has nothing what-so-ever to do with what I am trying to do! I even extracted the file just to see if that would resolve the problem but it does the same thing yet again! For whoever responds to this message I would kindly ask that they give a step by step/keystroke by keystroke process including any other potential and/or peripheral solutions to this.

I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to do but I have an idea.

It sounds like you are loading presets directly into the FM3 from AxeChange via FM3-Edit?

And then you're trying to export them to your computer?

After which you're then trying to "open" on the FM3 by double-clicking in Windows?

I assume that when you say "open up in the edit box" you mean you want them to be loaded in FM3-Edit?

Is this a correct assessment?

If so, some suggestions:

Never try to "open" an exported preset by double-clicking in Windows. It won't work and it's not expected to. Go into the editor and use the Import option from the menu.

Instead of exporting them in the first place, you could just do a Save to New Preset Number when you pull them down from AxeChange.

Thanks for the suggestion! Also, one of the patches that I finally got onto the FM-3 called allan"s magic which was some varous holdsworth scenes/settings but when I finally got it on to my FM-3 there is no sound! What could that possibly be? I have the turbo version so it can"t possibly be a
CPU issue. Any suggestions?
\

I have patches already downloaded from axe-change but when I click on them to show up in the edit box some completely unrelated windows media nonsense comes on the screen and says it can"t play this file which has nothing what-so-ever to do with what I am trying to do! I even extracted the file just to see if that would resolve the problem but it does the same thing yet again! For whoever responds to this message I would kindly ask that they give a step by step/keystroke by keystroke process including any other potential and/or peripheral solutions to this.
You don’t double click to open them, you import from the Preset drop-down menu in Edit.

Thanks for the suggestion! Also, one of the patches that I finally got onto the FM-3 called allan"s magic which was some varous holdsworth scenes/settings but when I finally got it on to my FM-3 there is no sound! What could that possibly be? I have the turbo version so it can"t possibly be a
\
Usual cause is User cabs saved in the preset with none installed on your unit.

called allan"s magic which was some varous holdsworth scenes/settings but when I finally got it on to my FM-3 there is no sound!
@chris is correct and check first. Something else to check. See if the scene is using an Expression pedal for volume and your pedal is assigned correctly for the preset.

Also, one of the patches that I finally got onto the FM-3 called allan"s magic which was some varous holdsworth scenes/settings but when I finally got it on to my FM-3 there is no sound! What could that possibly be? I have the turbo version so it can"t possibly be a
\
Go to Layout > Meters. You’ll see exactly where in the chain your signal is dying.

This is my first fractal device so I am still new at this. Would I not be able to add a cab from the list that is already on the list to make this patch work? If not, how do I get the user cabs downloaded (hopefully this does not cost anything) and where do I look for these user cabs?

Let me just say this and everyone can ignore me or contradict me if they want. Also, I might be wrong and I don’t have time to check for certain on my FM3. But I have these presets (Allan’s Magic) on my FM3 and I’m reasonably certain that the issue with no sound was related to the volume not being assigned globally and needs to be set properly in the preset.

I only am saying this to save some time if it is indeed the issue. I will try and look later to see what is was I had to do to get it working. I thought I remember a post on the forum about this patch, but I searched the forums and couldn’t find it. Sorry I can’t be more helpful right now.

This is my first fractal device so I am still new at this. Would I not be able to add a cab from the list that is already on the list to make this patch work? If not, how do I get the user cabs downloaded (hopefully this does not cost anything) and where do I look for these user cabs?
To answer this question. Yes you can make sure the cab IR is on your FM3 and if not put an IR in the CAB from your FM3. And if that is the problem it will make sound. As @Rex suggested looking where the signal is stopping is a good way to figure out where to look first.

From the Preset Notes by @Poparad

“Description
This patch is based directly on Allan's Yamaha Magicstomp patches for delays and lead tone. Additionally, there are scenes for the pitch shifter effects for "Metal Fatigue," "Devil Take the Hindmost," and "The Drums Were Yellow," as well as the rotary effect on "Leave Them On' and the shimmerverb effect on "House of Mirrors." Volume 1 block is controlled by External 1. All cabs are factory cabs.”

Thanks for your reply. At this point I have not learned the actual steps that it would take to to accomplish these 2 options. In other words (Volume 1 block is controlled by external 1. as well as the process of putting an IR in the cab. If you could kindly just call me at 740-707-7006 and that way you can walk me through each step in real time since I already have the FM-3 setup including the computer edit version, That way, if we run into other issues while doing this I can remedy those immediately because I can tell you exactly what I am seeing on the screen.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your reply. At this point I have not learned the actual steps that it would take to to accomplish these 2 options. In other words (Volume 1 block is controlled by external 1. as well as the process of putting an IR in the cab. If you could kindly just call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx and that way you can walk me through each step in real time since I already have the FM-3 setup including the computer edit version, That way, if we run into other issues while doing this I can remedy those immediately because I can tell you exactly what I am seeing on the screen.

Thanks again!
I’d strongly recommend editing your post and removing your phone number immediately unless you like scammers calling. You should instead have people directly message you through the forum.

In the Edit program, click the Cab block.
See if cab names appear there. If so, you are set. If not, click the Picker button and choose a cab IR from the list.

Right click the Volume block and choose Shunt - this will get rid of the volume block for now and allow sound to pass through that spot on the grid.

Save the preset.

@virtuoso108 I’m unable to write out the procedure this minute, but I will try a bit later. However, there are plenty of super smart members who will probably answer and probably more coherently than myself. Do you have the manual downloaded? It’s in there. I know it’s a bit overwhelming at first, but it’s learning bits of info a piece at a time. Hold in there.😉

Edit:
Cross posted with @chris I knew someone would nail the easiest (for now) solution. I tend to digress too easily.

Last edited:
I cannot stress enough that if you're struggling to watch some intro/tutorial videos on youtube. It's not necessarily intuitive if you're either a new player or new to the equipment. Also, the fractal user manual is incredibly detailed and can steer you in the right direction.

All of the cabs in the preset are factory cabs, meaning the ones already loaded into your FM3 by default so there's no need to edit the cabs (unless you want to try out different sounds, of course).

The quick way to disable the volume block is just to bypass it. There are a lot of ways to do this, but if you bypass it, it should give you sound (I'm almost certain I set the bypass mode for it in the preset to "thru").

Back
Top Bottom