Problem with using expression 4 for volume

Keith White

Experienced
Any help would be deeply appreciated. I do not have my axe fx 2 here with me so i'm going to try this by memory.

A month ago I loaded the Brit Floyd patches into my axe. Before that the volume pedal was working fine. Now it still works but it is resetting itself now everytime I switch patches. It is no longer "remembering" where it was set at the previous patch. Now I have to go to full heel when changing patches and bring it up to get it to work.

So this is how I have it set up. I use expression pedal out 4 for for my Volume pedal. I have the axe fx set to Out 1 to #19 and and Out 2 to 19 as well so it controls both out volumes. In the MFC cc 19 it is set to Volume 0 range through 124 I believe. Like I said it was working perfectly until I download the Brit Floyd patches and now it seems to be "resetting itself" everytime I switch patches.

Any ideas?

By the way, when I change patches, the new ones load at FULL volume everytime no matter the position of the pedal/.

Last edited:
I have the axe fx set to Out 1 to #19 and and Out 2 to 19 as well so it controls both out volumes.

i have a few questions that will help solve this.

first: are you saying that in the I/O CTRL menu on the Axe front panel, you changed Out 1 and Out 2 Volume from the defaults of 11 and 12, and instead have both set to 19?

is External 4 still set to 19 as well?

can you upload or link to the exact preset you are using?

They are both set to 11, I was writing this from memory because the AXE is at the club. I can provide a patch tomorrow

Did you update the MFC between when things worked as expected and now?

Is XP4 set to CC#19 or CC#11?

List the following when you have the gear present to verify settings:

On MFC: Global XP4 settings including CC#, beginning (BEG) value, MIN & MAX values. (This assumes no preset override of global XP4 setting. If using this option those would be the settings to list instead.)

At Axe-FX I/O: CTRL page: any items set to the CC# used by XP4.

Along with a preset this should give a more complete idea of what's happening.

I am at th gig with the axe in front of me. In io ext cntrl is set for 18.
No others are set at 18. Out 1 and out 2 are set at 11

Thanks for everyone's help. I found the issue. I was using IA5 as a boost switch with CC11 as well. I switched it back to comp 1 and it works fine now. Weird though that the settings were the same with no issues before I downloaded the brit floyd patches.

Thanks for everyone's help. I found the issue. I was using IA5 as a boost switch with CC11 as well. I switched it back to comp 1 and it works fine now. Weird though that the settings were the same with no issues before I downloaded the brit floyd patches.

Did you mean this occurred only on Brit Floyd presets? I don't think loading a few presets can change how others and the MFC work.

More likely explanations would be things like updated MFC or changed a setting in some menu. It's probably possible to make the pedal & switch work how they did before.

I was using IA5 as a boost switch with CC11 as well. I switched it back to comp 1 and it works fine now. Weird though that the settings were the same with no issues before I downloaded the brit floyd patches.

that is very strange. Presets don't affect the way the MFC communicates with the Axe.

are you saying that before loading the new presets, things worked well, then after loading the new presets, both the new AND the old presets didn't work correctly? there was nothing else done but loading presets on the Axe for sure?

correct

Yes you are correct. The MFC WAS NOT UPDATED and I didn't change anything. It worked fine before uploading the presets. It was causing all presets to not properly read the position of the volume pedal when switching patches. No matter the position of the pedal the preset started at 100 percent volume. There must have been some kind of weird global thing going on between the cc 11s. It doesnt make sense though.

Back
Top Bottom