Problem when adjusting the volume on the track of the DAW using FM3 as an audio interface.

Apparently I have it direct now as you said in the second paragraph, that’s what I tried to explain. It’s true that in that case you don’t have any latency but on the other hand I have the issue I described.
Please, any advice on how I could set the configuration that you said in the fist paragraph? And I’ll give a try to compare!
Thanks for your help!
If you're monitoring direct, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you want to adjust levels, see the description in the excerpt from the manual above. If you're having a problem, you'll need to describe what the problem is.

Hello! I was actually about to make a post about this same thing but happened upon this one. :) If I am understanding Davguit10 correctly, he is just trying to figure out the easiest/best way to adjust the volumes of his guitar and his DAW's playback relative to each other (with the FM3 as the interface) for recording. I was struggling to figure this one out myself because I have a few different contexts where this applies.

I record guitar into a DAW (Reaper), but I also like to use the FM3 to just jam along to songs on Spotify on guitar. I used to have a Scarlett 2i4 interface and it had a really handy monitor/playback blend knob. I used that blend knob all the time to easily set the relative volume of my guitar, but, the FM3 doesn't have an easy way to do that when used as an interface.

I was just playing around with some different ways to address this:

• In your respective DAW, if your guitar's level is being overpowered by the DAW's playback level, you could just turn down the master fader in the DAW while tracking (and you could snap it back to unity when you listen back, I guess?).
  • If you just want to jam along to songs, you could try adjusting your OS's master volume, but when I tried this my guitar's level actually overpowered the volume coming from Spotify even with the master volume at 100 percent. I suppose if that happens, you could just bring your guitar's output down, either in the preset or via the output knob, but that would be annoying to me.
  • Like some of the others mentioned previously, you can also go into Setup > I/O > USB and adjust the level of your PC's audio playback volume that way. I honestly haven't even tried that yet, but as @RevDrucifer said, it can be cumbersome to jump into that menu every time you need to make an adjustment.

So yah, there are ways to do deal with this, but as far as I can tell they're all a little inconvenient.

Changing the mix in your DAW just to adjust monitor levels generally isn't a good idea. Using system audio level on the computer to control playback level will work on Windows, but not Mac.

I would recommend following the instructions in the FM3 manual and adjust the overall level with the output knob and use the usb return control for the playback level. If you want a physical knob for the latter so you don't have to do any menu diving, simply put that on a performance page control.

If you prefer to not do the monitor mixing in the FM3/AxeFX, just get a small inexpensive line mixer and run the computer playback and guitar monitor outs into separate channels on that.

Back
Top Bottom