Problem when adjusting the volume on the track of the DAW using FM3 as an audio interface.

Davguit10

Hello everyone,,

I’ve got a problem when I try to adjust the volumen of the guitar on the track of my DAW (Logic) using the FM3 as an audio interface when recording.
Unlike when you use a “normal” audio interface that you have the ability to control the volumen of the track with its fader and using the “input monitoring”, this doesn’t seem possible with the FM3. This happens among other things (I supposed, If I’m not mistaken) because the signal of the Out1 of the FM3 goes directly to the monitors (at the same time as the USB signal goes to the computer), rather than going first to the DAW and then back to the FM3 and finally to the monitors. So if I need to turn up the volumen of the guitar I have to do it from Out1 in the preset which I don’t like it because there’s a tendency to clipping and it's less handy.
I don’t know if it’s the way that the FM3 works or it could be solved changing the I/O configuration.
I’d really appreciate if someone can help me.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, you're trying to monitor your guitar while recording/playing back an audio track in logic, but your guitar is too quiet? If that's what you mean I think the simplest thing to do is turn down the Master Fader or the individual track you're playing along with. Then turning the volume up for everything.

How are you listening to the sounds from Logic? What does your routing look like?

Hello,
Yes, I’m trying to monitor my guitar when recording. In that case, when you move the fader of the track it doesn’t change the volumen. It only works when you playback the audio track once it’s been recorded.
I’m listening to the sounds through a pair of monitors connected to Out1 of the FM3. The computer and the FM3 are connected with the USB connection. The same issue happens if I use the headphones output of the FM3.
I hope I’ve answered your questions.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Check out page 29 of the FM3 manual. You can find it here. The picture I attached to this post seems to be your setup. I'm not entirely sure what could be causing your issues, but maybe adjust some of the levels in the I/O. Or adjusting the USB 1/2 Playback level from I/O menu.

1624317851335.png

Exactly, that’s the setup I have. Yes, I already did all those things you mention but I wasn’t able to solve the problem. So, do you think the FM3 can work differently and not have this issue? Because I’m thinking that maybe, it’s the way it works.
Thanks again!

Thats weird, Im using the same setup with good results, but have a Apollo IF connected to my Monitors/ Headphones and just switch Input 1 to FM3 and Output to Apollo and all the monitoring works perf, then on mix-down switch back to Apollo in & Out

Hi Jumpback, I'm not sure if I understand what you say. Do you mean that de input and output devices on your DAW are FM3 and the Apollo respectively when you record, so you're using both audio interfaces at the same time? If it is that, I tried it but I hear some latency.
In my case I only use as an audio interface the FM3, the exact configuration of the picture above.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
On Mac it works setting I/O to different devices, i await my FM3 delivery to CR, hoping Thurs - FRi to test..
Currently i use xlr from my Ax8 to presonus Quantum, but i have used loopback and sound flower in combination, no problem.

Exactly, that’s the setup I have. Yes, I already did all those things you mention but I wasn’t able to solve the problem. So, do you think the FM3 can work differently and not have this issue? Because I’m thinking that maybe, it’s the way it works.
Thanks again!
I don't quite understand what problem you're referring to, but did you follow the directions in the manual? The master volume is controlled by the output knob. The playback level from the computer is controlled by the usb return level. That should be all the control you need for monitoring. If you're saying the output knob isn't working, you should probably contact Fractal Audio support.

I'm curious on how you're using both audio devices as well. Are you using ASIO4ALL?
When Im mixing I use In Logic; Preferences-Audio-Input Thunderbolt Interface(Apollo) In and out but when Tracking guitars with FM3 I use Input FM3 and Apollo as output, I just keep switching them no prob and no Latency, but If I do have some I just use Low Latency mode in Logic and Boom! hope this helps

Do you mean, the recorded track volume it's to quiet and far below the clipping threshold? And to make it louder you end up turning up the level control on the amp or out1 block but that makes the signal go red on the FM3 level meters?
Because I have that problem, but I'm using iPad/GarageBand, I don't know if that's a factor...

Adjusting your input gain in the DAW track will not affect the monitoring level of your live guitar track unless you are monitoring the input via software instead of direct from the FM3. It will affect the level being captured while recording, but you won't hear the change until playback. You'd have to change your monitoring setup and monitor your grid output via software instead. The downside is it will introduce round trip latency into your live playing feed and possibly affect the feel.

I don't quite understand what problem you're referring to, but did you follow the directions in the manual? The master volume is controlled by the output knob. The playback level from the computer is controlled by the usb return level. That should be all the control you need for monitoring. If you're saying the output knob isn't working, you should probably contact Fractal Audio support.
Hi GlennO!

I’ll try to explain it again and I’m sorry if the first explanation is not clear enough.

When I’ve used other audio interfaces, when you turn on the “I” (Input Monitoring) on your DAW track, to be able to listen to the level of your guitar when recording, in that situation when you move the fader of you DAW track you’re able to increase or decrease the volumen of your guitar and you can turn it down completely to hear nothing, so you’ve got completely control over the volumen.

Using as an audio interface the FM3 ( with the setup of the picture above) this doesn’t seem possible, because you hear the sound of your guitar through the monitors regardless of where the fader of your DAW is. I’ve just noticed that the “I” button and the fader of the track work fine, the only problem is that I can’t get rid of the sound that goes directly from the FM3 to the monitors, so if I activate the “I” button and the fader is not at minimum, I can hear both signals simultaneously (the one that goes from the FM3 to the monitors and the one that goes through the DAW to the monitors) . I’d say that’s the explanation but I could be wrong.
There’s nothing wrong with the physical knob1.

B7D24CD8-CF38-4A99-8C5D-B35256160142.jpeg

Yes both at same time Like Input in Logic is FM3 and output in logic is Apollo
Hi again,
That’s good you don’t hear any latency. I’ve tried it again with the Low latency Mode as you mention but I still have some latency 🥲

Last edited:
Hi GlennO!

I’ll try to explain it again and I’m sorry if the first explanation is not clear enough.

When I’ve used other audio interfaces, when you turn on the “I” (Input Monitoring) on your DAW track, to be able to listen to the level of your guitar when recording, in that situation when you move the fader of you DAW track you’re able to increase or decrease the volumen of your guitar and you can turn it down completely to hear nothing, so you’ve got completely control over the volumen.

Using as an audio interface the FM3 ( with the setup of the picture above) this doesn’t seem possible, because you hear the sound of your guitar through the monitors regardless of where the fader of your DAW is. I’ve just noticed that the “I” button and the fader of the track work fine, the only problem is that I can’t get rid of the sound that goes directly from the FM3 to the monitors, so if I activate the “I” button and the fader is not at minimum, I can hear both signals simultaneously (the one that goes from the FM3 to the monitors and the one that goes through the DAW to the monitors) . I’d say that’s the explanation but I could be wrong.

View attachment 85231

I see what you’re saying.

Like if you used a guitar plug-in, you’d be able to adjust the volume by using the slider while Input Monitoring. Now it doesn’t matter if it’s on or off because you’ve still got the main sound coming out of your monitors.

I’m set up the same way and I get around adjusting the volumes by adjusting the USB Input in the Settings-I/O-USB menu. I actually keep that page open when I’m tracking because I’m constantly making adjustments, especially if I’m tracking vocals. I’m not sure there’s any other way to get around it.

I usually have to crank up the USB Input to match the level of the preset, but then if I listen to music or watch YouTube, it’s BLARING so I have to turn it back down.

Shit, it‘d be AWESOME if we could tie a performance knob to the USB I/O…..it might even be possible and I just don’t know. Any guesses from the bettererer programmers? That way you wouldn’t have to menu dive to get to it.

Do you mean, the recorded track volume it's to quiet and far below the clipping threshold? And to make it louder you end up turning up the level control on the amp or out1 block but that makes the signal go red on the FM3 level meters?
Because I have that problem, but I'm using iPad/GarageBand, I don't know if that's a factor...
Hi!
Please, if you want to, have a look at the message above I’ve just typed because I tried to explain it again but yes, I think I understand what you said and that’s the thing. Me personally, I try to increase the volumen in the Out 1 block because I think if I do it from the amp block it adds more gain.
I hope it helps!

Last edited:
Hi GlennO!

View attachment 85231

That's not quite true. If you want, you can monitor your FM3 through your computer, instead of monitoring direct, and it will work just like you've done in the past with audio interfaces.

I think what you're saying is you want to monitor direct, instead of through the computer. That's a good idea since it minimizes latency effects when you're listening to yourself play while you record. When you do that, turn off input monitoring in Logic and, simply follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the levels.

That should work fine, so give it a try.

That's not quite true. If you want, you can monitor your FM3 through your computer, instead of monitoring direct, and it will work just like you've done in the past with audio interfaces.

I think what you're saying is you want to monitor direct, instead of through the computer. That's a good idea since it minimizes latency effects when you're listening to yourself play while you record. When you do that, turn off input monitoring in Logic and, simply follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the levels.

That should work fine, so give it a try.
Apparently I have it direct now as you said in the second paragraph, that’s what I tried to explain. It’s true that in that case you don’t have any latency but on the other hand I have the issue I described.
Please, any advice on how I could set the configuration that you said in the fist paragraph? And I’ll give a try to compare!
Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom