Prince Live Lovesexy - Purple Rain Solo -

daveywoodford

Inspired
Hey guys.

Anybody out there with better AX8 skills than me ( and iv'e tried with this one, cant quite get it :-( )
Make me, give it a shot at the solo tone from P's Lovesexy tour.
I always loved this live tone he got for his high gain solo's, this being a fave.

Can anyone out there give it a go and post your attempts .

Love 2 try them.

BTW , solo i'm requiring starts at - 16:54 -

Anybody out there with better AX8 skills than me ( and iv'e tried with this one, cant quite get it :-( )

Definitely possible to get it, would you want the heavy Chorus/Clean sound for the intro of Purple Rain also? I might be able to get you a preset that is like Scene 1 - Intro; Scene 2 - Chorus; Scene 3 - Crunchy; Scene 4 - Solo (your original request).

I like building presets the way that I would use them live so if that intrigues you, I may be able to get something this weekend for you?? Let me know, cheers.

That's a bright amp tone, bridge pickup, lots of upper mid, and you'll need to keep the low end under control.

and you'll need to keep the low end under control.

Is that a Meghan Trainor reference?
eqt8dbiavo6jk8msnnln.gif

Definitely possible to get it, would you want the heavy Chorus/Clean sound for the intro of Purple Rain also? I might be able to get you a preset that is like Scene 1 - Intro; Scene 2 - Chorus; Scene 3 - Crunchy; Scene 4 - Solo (your original request).

I like building presets the way that I would use them live so if that intrigues you, I may be able to get something this weekend for you?? Let me know, cheers.

I'd love it if you could try and build me a purple rain 4-5 scene preset, that'll be superb, thanks.
2day im running around like an idiot, the wife, little 17 month and me all have colds, plus i still got 3 more gigs this week...
a purple ax8 fix would help soothe

x

2day im running around like an idiot, the wife, little 17 month and me all have colds, plus i still got 3 more gigs this week...

I've got a wife, two year old, taking my Master's, working full time and a community outreach coordinator. I hear ya about busy mate ;) I'm hoping tonight or tomorrow I can whip up a patch. Was going to research what Prince was playing through during those years.

Any help on this would be Hugely appreciated by me too. This solo sound was the basis for many of his leads and it would be a great base to adapt. Excited to hear the results.

Re children, if it is any help, my 4 year old is currently looning around in his underpants singing the "I like big butts and I do not lie" "cover" from Alvin and the Chipmunks!!!

That's a good place to start. I build tones this way:
  1. Learn original amp rig, guitar type, pickup type and actual pickup if possible
  2. Learn original cab type and specific pedals if possible
  3. Put that rig together in Axe-Fx. That's your starting point for dialing the tone to your guitar.
  4. Using reference tone religiously in A/B, dial your guitar to sound/feel like the original
  5. Swap out cab types to find closest tone, tweak basic amp settings, take a day off
  6. Come back, make final adjustments and advanced tweaks if needed and you should be close
Having someone else slap a patch together isn't going to take into account your guitar, pickups and playing style, but it might get you farther than you are now. Good luck!

That's a good place to start. I build tones this way:
  1. Learn original amp rig, guitar type, pickup type and actual pickup if possible.
To really nail it, start with an all-maple guitar. That's what he's playing in the video.

Shameless plug: my friend Dave Rusan, who built the original four Cloud guitars, is gearing up to produce exact replicas of the original four (materials, pickups, neck angle and all). Contact me if you're interested.

Back on topic: solo-act's advice is spot on.

Rex said:
Shameless plug: my friend Dave Rusan, who built the original four Cloud guitars, is gearing up to produce exact replicas of the original four (materials, pickups, neck angle and all). Contact me if you're interested.

Back on topic: solo-act's advice is spot on.
That's badass. He'll have buyers lined up for a long time. I'd reserve one if I had the money...iconic guitar!

Try this one out, S1-S4 are set for fun. S1: Intro | S2: Intro Boost Chorus | S3: Light Solo | S4: Full FX Solo Boost.

Enjoy!
Hi Ibanexfreak4 - thanks for taking the time to do this. Away from my axefx at the mo, but once again forum heroes deliver!! Can't wait to try it out.....

Cheers Giles

Hi Ibanexfreak4 - thanks for taking the time to do this. Away from my axefx at the mo, but once again forum heroes deliver!! Can't wait to try it out.....

NP guys, I'll get a quick recording sometime soon. Just FYI, it is for an AX8, if you want one for Axe-FX II also I can whip one up no prob. Thanks!

NP guys, I'll get a quick recording sometime soon. Just FYI, it is for an AX8, if you want one for Axe-FX II also I can whip one up no prob. Thanks!
Thanks Ibanez - it would be excellent to hear a sample if possible (as I say, my axefx is currently in storage). Cheers G

Back
Top Bottom