Presonus sceptre s8 pair or atomic clr?

bigbrown2056

Inspired
So I don't currently have studio monitors, and was thinking about getting the sceptre s8's. But I also would like the clr's. I'm currently not playing out, but I do have a pair of the old atomic reactors. Which do you guys think would be the better investment? A pair of clr's or studio monitors? And if it's the clr's are they good enough to use as studio monitors? I know that actual monitors would be better for that but could they work well enough?

The CLR's are excellent. With an added bonus of using them as a PA, or going live if you start gigging again. They might be a bit much if all you're using them for is Studio Monitoring.

No experience with the Presonus, I use the Yamaha HS80's (best Studio monitor buy out there as far as I'm concerned...)

IMO.

One of my main reasons for purchasing the CLRs was to use them at home as monitors for my Axe FX and music. They work very well.

In fact, I own a pair of Adam P11A studio monitors and haven't touched them since getting the CLRs.

The Sceptre S8s sound incredible. You wouldn't regret purchase of a pair, which cost about the same as one CLR if you shop around. They are, of course, dedicated studio monitors and shine in that role.

I have not played on CLRs, so I cannot say how they would work. I can say some players here that I have a lot of respect for literally rave about them, so I have every confidence they sound every bit as good as advertised. They would also be much more versatile in other uses. And more powerful if you needed that, as well. If the expense isn't an issue, I am quite sure they will knock your socks off.

Get a pair of each! I'll store whichever one you don't like.

Atomic also leave a 15 day return guarantee if you for any reason dont like them. But unless things have chanced there is a pretty hefty waitlist on those babies..

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still not sure which route to go though. They both seem like really great choices. But I can only do one.

I just wanted to add that I have the Presonus S8's and I did a head to head against the Yamaha HS80's. The S8's are twice the price as the HS80's and I have to say that they are absolutely incredible at being absolutely beautiful at reference monitors. I returned the SH80's (not because they were bad, just that the S8's were near perfect). However, if you see yourself playing out with a band ever and needing a monitor then the CLR would be probably the best option for that. Do you do any home recording where you would need the better reference monitors? I guess the price of the S8's is half of a CLR so I would probably get the S8's now and if you start playing out, you may find that you can run with in-ears or find another option for monitoring. Or you could sell the S8's at that point if you needed and get one CLR.

I played in a fairly successful local band and we always used in ears and I piped a little bit through a Tech21 speaker just to get a touch of of feedback so for me the CLR's would have been overkill for live use as well. I think a lot of bands are going more that route as well... food for thought.

I have the S8 and the CLRs. For reference monitors the s8 worked better for me. the form factor is better and they are designed from the ground up as reference monitors. The S8 has been a excellent reference monitor for me. The CLR has been an excellent sound reinforcement/FRFR cab for me.

I have the S8 and the CLRs. For reference monitors the s8 worked better for me. the form factor is better and they are designed from the ground up as reference monitors. The S8 has been a excellent reference monitor for me. The CLR has been an excellent sound reinforcement/FRFR cab for me.

Have you done an A/B with full program material? I'm curious about what differences between the CLR and S8 you might have noticed.

I switch back and forth between NS10's and CLR's.

They would really need to be in the relatively same position to be valid for an A/B and the CLRs are way too big for that and way too heavy to go back n forth with at least they way I have thing laid out in the room.

Find a way to get the S8's into your environment to check them out. Guitar Center can order them if you have one close to you their return policy is good for 15 days if you don't like them. I think you'll find the S8's to be stunning. Get the foam separation supports and good placement (triangle not directly against the wall in a corner or you'll need a slight rolloff using the switch on back) and you'll start giggling at the stereo imaging and flat yet sweet and smooth response. I can't imagine a better reference monitor in the price bracket I did compare to Events, JBL, Yamaha and more. See what you think.

I have the Atomic CLR for live use - but are looking for a pair of studio monitors for my DAW. I would also like to use them for playing the Axe at home as I cant have both due to lack of space.
The S8 are too big so I am looking at the S6. Anybody tried those with the Axe ?

Back
Top Bottom