Presonus Qmix woes

slinky005

Power User
I think this is a long shot but I'll give it a go:

My band uses the Presonus 24 Live.
We all run IEMs and use Qmix (iOS) to balance our own stereo mixes.
Recently we all got together, launched the app and bam.....all of us got the spinning wheel - Qmix not connecting.
We couldn't understand what the problem was. Rebooted the system etc. all to avail.
Then someone realized we had all updated to iOS 10 since the last time we got together.

Moral of the story, Presonus doesn't look after their clients. They never updated the app.
Been looking on the web and basically it looks like we're screwed.

Anyone else use this system?
Any advice?

Their updates will lag behind the iOS release but typically they will post opinions warning against updating if there is a known problem. I typically check their website for compatability before updating. I agree with dpeterson. Check the support website and/or send them a note. If your board is the one with the internal wifi, I would also check for a firmware update.

Question is why they don't publish the protocol so a community could take care of things. The same applies to Eventide and many more companies. The Android app for the Behringer X32 only exists because one guy reverse engineered the OSC protocol.

I just tried qMix on my iPhone6 running iOS 10.1.1 and I connected right away to the Personus RM32ai. My qMix version is 1.3.39307. Could be network related, I suggest you make sure all of your phones are on the same network as your mixer. Perhaps it's a problem unique to the Presonus 24 Live related as well. qMix does work when connecting to an RM32ai.

I'm using Q-Mix on a cascaded StudioLive 32/16Ai without issue on the newest iOS firmware. I am guessing you're using the "classic" or original version StudioLive. There are several versions of QMix, so please make sure you have the one that matches your mixer. My guess is you do as you didn't mention updating the app.

When you say you got the spinning wheel, you mean the app is coming up but not finding the router or wifi dongle? I am not trying to be condescending, just asking about things I didn't get in your post. One basic thing (it does get overlooked) is to select the wifi source in settings (on the phone) because they get lost in updates.

My experience with Presonus has been excellent, eventually turning into an affiliation with them (shown below, per forum rules). I don't work for them, just saying I have had my share of frustrations using gear and they've always worked with me to solve the problems. I'd give them a call. As suggested earlier, the forum can also be useful.

If you can't get an answer, feel free to PM me and I will try to help you through. Best of luck!

I think this is a long shot but I'll give it a go:

My band uses the Presonus 24 Live.
We all run IEMs and use Qmix (iOS) to balance our own stereo mixes.
Recently we all got together, launched the app and bam.....all of us got the spinning wheel - Qmix not connecting.
We couldn't understand what the problem was. Rebooted the system etc. all to avail.
Then someone realized we had all updated to iOS 10 since the last time we got together.

Moral of the story, Presonus doesn't look after their clients. They never updated the app.
Been looking on the web and basically it looks like we're screwed.

Anyone else use this system?
Any advice?

When's the last time you updated the firmware of the mixer?
Was your router turned on?
I have to assume it worked before and now it just stopped working?
My 16.4.2 AI QMix works perfectly with my iPad and iPhone running 10.1.X

Last edited:
I'm using Q-Mix on a cascaded StudioLive 32/16Ai without issue on the newest iOS firmware. I am guessing you're using the "classic" or original version StudioLive. There are several versions of QMix, so please make sure you have the one that matches your mixer. My guess is you do as you didn't mention updating the app.

When you say you got the spinning wheel, you mean the app is coming up but not finding the router or wifi dongle? I am not trying to be condescending, just asking about things I didn't get in your post. One basic thing (it does get overlooked) is to select the wifi source in settings (on the phone) because they get lost in updates.

My experience with Presonus has been excellent, eventually turning into an affiliation with them (shown below, per forum rules). I don't work for them, just saying I have had my share of frustrations using gear and they've always worked with me to solve the problems. I'd give them a call. As suggested earlier, the forum can also be useful.

If you can't get an answer, feel free to PM me and I will try to help you through. Best of luck!

Hey Rick,
You are a beacon in a very murky landscape.

By spinning wheel I mean that it is not connecting to the board.
We are all on the same network on a router that is used only for studio live. (no internal router)

I did try to find info on their site but there's nothing on this specific issue, you also need to register to get any support.
The mixer is owned by my bassist who is in the middle of a move and is not technically inclined so I took this on myself.

When I do a search in itunes for qmix, only two versions come up:
Presonus Qmix and Presonus Qmix AI (we don't the AI version.)

The Qmix version we used up until iOS 9 was 1.3.5508. The app says it was last updated in 2013.
There seems to be no update on itunes.
I assume we are on different versions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Steve

Last edited:
Hey Rick,
You are a beacon in a very murky landscape.

By spinning wheel I mean that it is not connecting to the board.
We are all on the same network on a router that is used only for studio live. (no internal router)

I did try to find info on their site but there's nothing on this specific issue, you also need to register to get any support.
The mixer is owned by my bassist who is in the middle of a move and is not technically inclined so I took this on myself.

When I do a search in itunes for qmix, only two versions come up:
Presonus Qmix and Presonus Qmix AI (we don't the AI version.)

The Qmix version we used up until iOS 9 was 1.3.5508. The app says it was last updated in 2013.
There seems to be no update on itunes.
I assume we are on different versions.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Steve
Ok, Steve, I understand your situation a bit better now. You have a router connected to StudioLive, likely by ethernet (that was always the most reliable method on my classic SL board). Make sure of your connections, and that the router is up and running. When all Q-Mix points (or UC for that matter) go out at once, a bad cable, router, or setting is often at fault. Best not to assume, check each individually.

That all of your phones have been updated and quit working, it is certainly a possibility that the update caused the issue. The simplest test for that is to find someone who hasn't updated and test the app there. Unfortunately, I've had little luck ever going backwards on an iOS device once finding that apps quit working. But, from what I can see in your case, it looks like the app is running though... just not finding the router. Start at the board, make sure the router and cable is working, and let me know. From what I see, Q-mix is supposed to work with anything iOS 4.3 or later... but you just never know with Apple changes.

Ok, Steve, I understand your situation a bit better now. You have a router connected to StudioLive, likely by ethernet (that was always the most reliable method on my classic SL board). Make sure of your connections, and that the router is up and running. When all Q-Mix points (or UC for that matter) go out at once, a bad cable, router, or setting is often at fault. Best not to assume, check each individually.

That all of your phones have been updated and quit working, it is certainly a possibility that the update caused the issue. The simplest test for that is to find someone who hasn't updated and test the app there. Unfortunately, I've had little luck ever going backwards on an iOS device once finding that apps quit working. But, from what I can see in your case, it looks like the app is running though... just not finding the router. Start at the board, make sure the router and cable is working, and let me know. From what I see, Q-mix is supposed to work with anything iOS 4.3 or later... but you just never know with Apple changes.
Forgot to mention: My ipad is on iOS 9 - Works.
Even though the app is for the iphone.
Guess we're at the mercy of their coding team.

Forgot to mention: My ipad is on iOS 9 - Works.
Even though the app is for the iphone.
Guess we're at the mercy of their coding team.
I sent an email in to one of the Presonus techs. I will let you know as soon as he replies. Hoping they'll have good news! Rick

I don't have a classic 24.4 to test this with, but one person informs me there has to be matching versions of Universal Control and QMix for it to work. I'm assuming your QMix and UC were working together before. Has QMix been updated on the phones?

I don't have a classic 24.4 to test this with, but one person informs me there has to be matching versions of Universal Control and QMix for it to work. I'm assuming your QMix and UC were working together before. Has QMix been updated on the phones?
Yes, everything worked before we all updated to iOS10
There is no update for Qmix (this is the essential issue).
That's why we're out of luck.
The fact that my iPad running iOS 9 is working with Qmix, pretty much rules out any connectivity problems.
Since you have a line to a Presonus tech, can you ask why there has been no update?
Thank for giving this your attention, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Since you have a line to a Presonus tech, can you ask why there has been no update?
Thank for giving this your attention, I really appreciate it.
MY guess is they may not be aware of the issue, plus they do consider the SL classic to be obsolete - I have one!
This is not uncommon for a 5+ yr old mixer.. these days.. .
As cheesy as it sounds. the moral of the story is.. make sure your devices work with the system and research any potential issues before you do.
For that reason I have dedicated devices (iOS and Android) that I use to connect to our X32, I do NOT use my phone.. .
Other members do the same.. but not all.. singer uses his iPhone..

MY guess is they may not be aware of the issue, plus they do consider the SL classic to be obsolete - I have one!
As cheesy as it sounds. the moral of the story is.. make sure your devices work with the system and research any potential issues before you do.
For that reason I have dedicated devices (iOS and Android) that I use to connect to our X32, I do NOT use my phone.. .
Other members do the same.. but not all.. singer uses his iPhone..
Well it's pretty hard to anticipate a company dropping support for an app - everything runs on an app now.

s0c9 is right so far, I haven't found anyone who knows of the problem so far. If you have a backup of the old firmware on your iTunes, you might be able to restore it. There are a lot of original StudioLives out there so I think they'll address it but there will come a time they probably won't (similar to how the Standard and Ultra have seen their last firmware).

I am still checking, and if I find another workaround or get news on a QMix upgrade coming, I will post here.

One other option... I have several iPhones that have no cell service but just use wifi for QMix. If you know someone who has an older (and not iOS updated) iPhone, snap that up and use it for QMix. Most people with older phones in a drawer will give them away. This has worked for me, and is how i have collected the small stock of 4 and 4S models to use.

s0c9 is right so far, I haven't found anyone who knows of the problem so far. If you have a backup of the old firmware on your iTunes, you might be able to restore it. There are a lot of original StudioLives out there so I think they'll address it but there will come a time they probably won't (similar to how the Standard and Ultra have seen their last firmware).

I am still checking, and if I find another workaround or get news on a QMix upgrade coming, I will post here.

One other option... I have several iPhones that have no cell service but just use wifi for QMix. If you know someone who has an older (and not iOS updated) iPhone, snap that up and use it for QMix. Most people with older phones in a drawer will give them away. This has worked for me, and is how i have collected the small stock of 4 and 4S models to use.
I have considered that option as well. It's a worst case scenario.
Older phones batteries are always useless having to keep it plugged in all the time. Not a great scenario.
I did try to restore my phone - after spending an entire afternoon figuring, backing up etc. it restored the data but did not revert the OS.
Thx for your help though.

I have considered that option as well. It's a worst case scenario.
Older phones batteries are always useless having to keep it plugged in all the time. Not a great scenario.
I did try to restore my phone - after spending an entire afternoon figuring, backing up etc. it restored the data but did not revert the OS.
Thx for your help though.
Not trying to burst anyone's bubble on this.. my comment above was more about vendor decisions to NOT support earlier versions - hardware as WELL AS software - due to technological changes, support and budget/resource challenges.

For example - I was a beta testers (yrs ago) for two very well known (large) vendors with whom I am no longer associated. I tested firmware on products I owned (bought and paid for myself). In both cases, their senior management decided to focus on other "strategies" and the firmware updates (which I thought were absolutely needed) were NEVER RELEASED. I still own one of those products running never released beta firmware. The product is long obsolete and "archived"..

The moral here is to check for updates.. or have dedicated devices to avoid the pitfalls you experienced.
Plus, assume that your "digital" equipment and interfaces are essentially NOT FUTURE proof, and the hardware should be replaced within 3 yrs.
I know this doesn't solve your current issues, but no-one plans to fail.

Back
Top Bottom