Presets of Axe-Change with .bin suffix upload

bwanagary

Administrator
Apologies in advance 'cause I'm sure other people have asked this question before, but I'm a newbie to the FX2 and the new Axe Edit 1.9 Beta only looks for presets with the .syx suffix. Does that mean that all the presets/patches in Axe-Change can't be used with the FX2? Or at least, not with Axe-Edit? If the .bin patches can be used, how would I get them loaded into presets on the FX2?
Thanx.

I have a LINUX box that I download the files from Axe-Change with. I copy them verbatim onto a flash drive, put the flash drive into the Windows box that Axe-Edit is installed on. This is the mechanism I used for installing the drivers, the Axe-Edit software, the Fractal-Bot software and upgraded the firmware to 10.

Last edited:
I'm also on Linux. When I download a preset from Axechange, a file save dialog opens up with the filename.syx already there. Are you saving the file with the .syx extension? When you look at the drive in Linux, are they .syx files? If not, the problem is occuring when you save them. Save them as named, with the .syx extension. Could be a browser issue too, what browser are you using on Axechange?

When I open the Save dialog it shows them as .bin. Usually, after I click the name of the patch I get a new page in the browser, at the top of that page there is a bright green "Download Now" button. button.jpg . I assume since you're a LINUX guy you're tech-savvy. The mouse-over show this URL for the download button: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/download.php?preset=1011. Clicking that produces:
FileDialog.jpg
Already showing the ".bin" suffix. ;-) Am I going crazy?

Oh yeah - there are a *few* patches that show in the File Save dialog with the syx suffix. But very, very few.

OMG! You are correct. On a *hunch* I decided to try FireFox instead of my default browser, google Chrome. And FireFox shows the same link with the .syx suffix! Wow! That's a google Chrome thing! Eeeek! Chrome is being too smart for it's own good! FIreFox does identify it as a "bin" file (probably from the magic numbers in the signature) but doesn't gratuitously change the suffix! Which browser are you using?

BTW, I've tried running Axe-Edit in a VirtualBox VM with reliability problems. I don't suppose you've tried it with VMWare have you?

Using Chrome here. I also ran AE in a Virtualbox but found the USB to be unstable. It works much better under Wine, but you need a patched winealsa.drv.so. Currently running Wine 1.4 with the patched winealsa.drv.so which I can provide if you want. Note I have NOT tried the 1.9 Beta version of AE since I haven't yet upgraded to V10 firmware yet, but I'm hopeful!

I'm not real Linux savvy, some very smart people on this forum figured out what was needed to make it work with Wine. Search "Wine" and you'll probably find the threads.

Awesome! I was curious to see if it would run under wine. I had the same USB difficulties you describe. I know my way around LINUX so I'll grab the alsa drivers with the patches and give it a try. Ireally don't like windoze. I'll probably try it this weekend and I'll let you know how it went. I'm not sure I understand what's going on with Chrome though. Maybe check my system defaults or Chrome prefs.
Thanks for the help.

Update on using Wine and Axe-Edit 1.9 Beta - it seems to work. I'm running OpenSuse LINUX 12.3 with Wine version 1.5.27. I haven't actually connected my FX II yet, but the software starts up and runs without incident. I'll update this probably tonight after work when I connect eh FX II.

Update on using Wine and Axe-Edit 1.9 Beta - it seems to work. I'm running OpenSuse LINUX 12.3 with Wine version 1.5.27. I haven't actually connected my FX II yet, but the software starts up and runs without incident. I'll update this probably tonight after work when I connect eh FX II.

Nice! I am running OpenSuse 12.2 64bit (kernel version 3.4.33-2.24-desktop). While the previous Axe-Edit 1.0.xx runs fine (apart from its own bugs ;) ) with WINE 1.5.27, Axe-Edit 1.9 as well as Fractal-Bot are crashing already during start up :( Did not investigate further for lack of time though. Are you also running OpenSuse 64bit?

Nah. I canned the 64-bit OS because it is so poorly supported. Many of the drivers have to be 32-bit drivers. Particularly the sound drivers. For instance, to run Skype (only available in 32-bit) you also have to load up 32-bit drivers in the 64-bit OS. It was just too much hassle so I "downgraded" to 32-bit. Lots of stuff just works better in 32-bit. I just spent so many hours messing with bludgeoning the 64-bit OS to work with all my stuff. Oh well - it's still better than WIndoze :lol. One more thing, make sure that you have the wine libs pointing to the correct architecture (in my case WinLibs=/usr/lib/wine).

Ah OK. I did not have problems with running 64bit so far, but that may depend on the software being used.

Regarding Wine and Axe-Edit: Did it run out of the box or did you finetune the Wine configuration?

I'm happy to report that I've just connected my FX II and it works great with AxeEdit 1.9 Beta under Wine 1.5.27 on OpenSUSE 12.3. Stock installs. No customization whatsoever. :) I'm a happy camper. I don't have to run 'doze (or eat McDonalds) to edit my FX II :)

Nice! I am running OpenSuse 12.2 64bit (kernel version 3.4.33-2.24-desktop). While the previous Axe-Edit 1.0.xx runs fine (apart from its own bugs ;) ) with WINE 1.5.27, Axe-Edit 1.9 as well as Fractal-Bot are crashing already during start up :( Did not investigate further for lack of time though. Are you also running OpenSuse 64bit?

I would look first at updating the .NET components of Wine. The 1.9 Beta uses some newer .NET stuff I think.

Thanks bwanagary,

if I have some time this weekend I maybe will try to investigate further.

Until now I only did upgrade Wine to 1.5.28-232.1 (from the OpenSuse Wine repo) which did not solve the problem. After downgrading to Wine 1.5.6 Axe-Edit and Fractal-Bot are both working... Hm

I'm glad its working for you. I also tested the "Riffstation" application and that works flawlessly under Wine also.

Back
Top Bottom