Preset Making Service?

acidfrost

Inspired
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone was offering a preset making service.
What I'm looking for actually is a tone more than a preset. Dirty but with definition, if possible, exactly like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZTy5T8rBk

Anyways I tried using the same gear as they do, from interview I gather it would be a 6505+ with a maxon od808, but I always go back to my trusty 5153 red.
But there seems to be less definition... Tried reducing the gain, it helps but not as much as that song and less fat.

Anyways! I would be willing to pay even!

Thanks

I would love to take your money but no one can make you a patch that will satisfy your ears of some one else's tone.
you would have to invite them to stay at your house with your gear and work until you said that's it but then tomorrow it may not sound the same to you.

Thanks Mark! I messaged him.

I understand Paranoid, but I'm not able to get at least close to this. I'm still stuck on the basic tab in the axe for now. Advanced tab is scary so if someone can get me close to this I'll adjust to taste after.

The bright knob is very helpfull to add definition to your sound. The choice of the good IR is crucial too. 5153 seems to be really adapted to this type of sound.

Got your message, thanks. But not able to do this kind of work these days because of work. Plus, it's very hard to please someone else on specific sounds, as we all have different gear, ears, taste…

Hey Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone was offering a preset making service.
What I'm looking for actually is a tone more than a preset. Dirty but with definition, if possible, exactly like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZTy5T8rBk

Anyways I tried using the same gear as they do, from interview I gather it would be a 6505+ with a maxon od808, but I always go back to my trusty 5153 red.
But there seems to be less definition... Tried reducing the gain, it helps but not as much as that song and less fat.

Anyways! I would be willing to pay even!

Thanks

Curious about what kind of guitar you are using?

Hey Julien! your reamp is close to what I have now. But in the song, the guitar is much cleaner. I try to turn down the gain to clean it up but then it's becoming thinner.
Could be that they used 2 different amps with low gain settings and mixed them.

Randolfo, I use a PRS SE Satana with Vintage Bass/HFS pickups (custom 24) and Custom 24 electronics.

Tonaholic, the issue is I can't find the solo tracks of that song haha.

Ugh... I don't mean to sound insulting Axe-brother, but you have the most powerful magic box on the planet and you don't wanna tweak some stuff? It's been made extremely easy to find ample usable sounds almost straight out of the box and this forum is overflowing with great ideas and advice. I suggest you find a deeper love of tweaking ASAP because Only Your ears can satisfy your ears.. Having another person manufacture your presets and personal tone just sounds...lame. =~\

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree tone is subjective and sometimes difficult to verbalize.

you did the right thing about scoping what gear was used to begin with on the particular sound you want.
If you exhausted your settings with that amp you might move too changing the tone stack or
tubes even try different tube choice.

I was trying and trying to get Hendrix at Monterey tone well I later found out he was using kt66s for tubes
and different tone stack and some swapped out caps.
Now I went in and adjusted those and then tried again and that made a giant difference in the overall sound.

Instantly I could hear an improvement and then I found I was just an adjustment from the tone knob of guitar away.
I quickly got the sound I was after then as things tightened up two tone knob adjustments at guitar
set and get on with playing.

Amp tone stack tube choice and speakers cab and mic choices
if you are using mic's on the cabs try every mic out if you have all that
covered you should be close already but if its just not quite right it could be
pickup adjustment can make a dramatic difference in sound.

If its not bright enough too you try a brighter mic
before changing all the settings..

But if you look at it as the greatest payoff you will get and reward yourself by delving in
you might find yourself enjoying the process..

Your ears will tell you that sound before someone else can.
Dial the amp in as hot as it will go just below red line save the level there.

Then check out different IR's for speakers and cabs. if you know the original gear
and speakers that helps I also try every mic just to hear how they sound with the amp
and no mic.

Do that 500 times and tell me you wont know which mic is the constant winner or favorite go to mic
or not..

as you go through the process get fully into it set amp and cab how you like
then check every efx level for unity gain setting if you turn the efx on and its red lining
drop level just below red lining but just below same as amp.

if you turn an efx on and its weaker then amp signal you will hear decrease in signal.
Go into that efx bring the level up just under red line so its even when you turn it on
you can mess with the mix in each efx then backing things down so its no so out front.
if the song calls for the efx to be more pronounced then so be it otherwise
why not have the efx seamless ?

If you do each thing amp speaker cab mic and each efx and save those as you go and save into library
in 2 months time you will be a jedi master of the axe.

If you force yourself to do this from front of the axe not using axe edit then you fully learn
the machine and have no limitations .

You could quickly dial in any sound using front panel.
If you did that for 2 months and saved as you went imagine what your library would look like ?

When you did get on axe edit and you could each day anyway just train for both,
when you did get in axe edit its a breeze to use and save as you go and in library
naming things specifically each efx cab speaker amp ect.

I think since ive been doing that ive forced myself to learn the axe better.
I still dont understand blocks on the front panel.

If I did I could likely go in and count over and setup every patch the same way and all my mfc
buttons would be operational Im still in need of upgrading mfc 101.

Dont sell your self short you can do this.
I can tell you if I can do this you can.

if you force yourself to make patches every day and start saving just 2 patches a day
and really hone in and make them final and save them you will be able to approach any sound
the same way.

Jedi Training.

I owe that to Funeral John here he came and helped me then he said no you must start building patches
and learning this for your self and delve in and read otherwise I miss out.

Read the manual watch the videos even XL videos if you dont have it yet you can learn something
that applies too axe fx II I did thats where I spied saving things into the library.

Carter Cooper vids and Chris's vids watch those and you might read wiki about the specific amps you
are trying to dial in as they have notes specific there and tips.

I dont know shit still so many things to learn but look at the great forum
if you are polite humble and seek help you will find it ..

Many of the tones I want no one can cure Me of I have to find them.

Thats not a curse its beautiful once you accept you have the answers inside.
accept nothing less then awesome..
when you cant stop playing cause it sounds so good save that then force yourself to move on to another sound.

When you find the sound you want and really know it save it store enter enter on front of axe
be able to navigate around on front of axe and keep doing that till you dont forget it I got into axe edit
and forgot how to program from front of axe so I stopped and had to look and relearn
It came too me only because I forced myself to learn.

The greatest thing happened guess what it was ?
I can make any sound now I want and I also found the sound ive been chasing for 24 25 years now .

How did I find it ?
I made the amp just like you did from scratch and used my ears then kept researching
and the tone stack and tube selection helped me dial it in the rest of the way..

Do not be afraid of the presence knob either if its too dark bring it up there see if that helps.

Im still a noob here many many here can smoke my lunch on programming this unit
so I cant get in the room with them but I know how they got to be so damn good at it..

They read they started messing with knobs they built patches and chased the sounds down
in their head otherwise shit would have hit the fan..

lol
They dont sleep until its done
Type A personalities abound in here..

I just watch in awe..

You have to learn by forcing yourself to do this every day
work on two patches every day and save them
and when you get each efx mixed just right save them
in library name them so you know what they go with.

I started doing this in about 17.00 then by 17.4
I was into 113 amps then 18 beta drops..

I winced at the thought of having to redo all those amps and settings
but guess what I went ahead and upgraded and so glad I did..
do I have to reset everything I just freaking did ?

Yea did I learn anything between 13.4 and 18 ?
113 different amps and then some and
many many efx and different settings for those all named in library.

My teacher said he would make a killer patch spend hours on it
then go in flip machine off to purposely loose it all..

To force himself to go back and build it again
and by doing that he got fast on being able to knock any sound out
and be playing it..

Its overwhelming but you cant cut the whole forest down in one day you have to hack at it daily.
When I first got on this I was too intimidated too even play.

Im not so fucking shy now though..

My Teacher is like Bruce Lee
he makes me work for it and I owe him for that.

I think if I lived next door to him he would say no
you are going to learn it do it yourself read the manual.

There are people here to help but your best friends are your ears.

John tells me are you playing or still listening too delay times.. ?
yea yea yea ballbuster..

gosh
nobody said it was going to be easy.
im all skinned up but im learning it..

Ugh... I don't mean to sound insulting Axe-brother, but you have the most powerful magic box on the planet and you don't wanna tweak some stuff? It's been made extremely easy to find ample usable sounds almost straight out of the box and this forum is overflowing with great ideas and advice. I suggest you find a deeper love of tweaking ASAP because Only Your ears can satisfy your ears.. Having another person manufacture your presets and personal tone just sounds...lame. =~\

If you've read the posts you've seen that I tried.
If you have to start with, I don't mean to sound insulting, you should probably not speak.

Thanks Tex Axe! I have a lot of experience with the axe fx. I have about 60 different presets for live usage with my band, all different. I'm not a newb haha. I didn't to try different tubes or tone stacks. I'll try this. Though fw18 really got me close to it. What a difference!

If you've read the posts you've seen that I tried.
If you have to start with, I don't mean to sound insulting, you should probably not speak.

Uh oh Tail stop started beating the war drum at Acid Frost. Acid frost fires right back at him. Could we have our first forum war in here?

Ha! No war here.. I apologize Acid. I should've just kept my opinion to myself and should not have trusted you to take what I said as potential advice. However, paying someone to make tones for you on this box does sound lame to me. I'm not calling you lame, I just think that it's defeatist and you're probably already on the right track and just need a bit more time to get your Axe ears tuned to our black box..

I personally have come up with great tones by starting very simple and getting into the jam room immediately to check out its sonic viability. Some sounds are amazing to me in the studio but when I hear cymbals crashing it might thin out or water-down the tone I loved 30 minutes ago. I think we all have had this happen to us to some degree and it can only really be solved by tweaking the machine...

Again, sorry to rub you the wrong way. Good luck with your purchases..

Thanks Tex Axe! I have a lot of experience with the axe fx. I have about 60 different presets for live usage with my band, all different. I'm not a newb haha. I didn't to try different tubes or tone stacks. I'll try this. Though fw18 really got me close to it. What a difference!

Try that presence knob and mess with tubes.. el 34s vs 6550s for instance you would have faster break up with 34s they would sound darker
then 6550s which would stay clean having more headroom..

I am new to alot of things in the axe for instance some patches I make all the efx on mfc 101 work just fine
then I might make one and some efx are not lit up..

Or if I go in and add delay for instance on a patch its on all the time and the switch on mfc does not work or has no control over it being on or off its
just on all the time.

I dont get that in my head yet so I dont fully get how to do that.

Granted the mfc needs to be upgraded on my system.

I dont know this well enough to loose everything and start over so I do back up..
If someone sat a new one in front of me and said can you hook this up I could do it
but not as fast as the one who taught me.

Once I saw how to edit I felt if the foot switch was laid out with internal patches
I could go do all the rest and did. That said I dont fully grasp how to go in build a patch
from scratch and make it where the mfc 101 efx all light up work each patch I try to make.

Im not sure if thats because the mfc has not been upgraded OR those presets
or patches most factory were setup differently then the other patches..

Each time John came to help I would ask for say 50 or 60 of the same type patches
thinking if I had 100 or 150 different amps id never play them all anyway unless
I had a different amp per patch and forced myself to play them.

I then thought if you did that and had enough for 4 sets of music then if someone complimented the band
you could say thank you for noticing you just heard 100 different amps.

My goal was to get at least 150 made up even if some were the same amps but different tone stacks
or tubes and entirely different settings the sounds would be different.

Discussing this with John he felt it best to have consistent sound overall and not have aburpt tone changes
during the set as it train wrecked the listener or stopped the flow somewhat so I can see his point..
I then brought up I wonder if im unknowingly making each amp sound the same ?

I dont want to do that either dont think I am because of all the different songs
sound different have different gear..

So then I adapted the do it anyway save it and move on idea..
To see how many different amps cabs speakers I could stack up after doing this
till 18 came out.

i got too 113 amps Now im going back and re setting levels..
The amps all improved sound better.

I did not think Id hear a big difference but I did in the Dumble settings and Plexi
Wreck and fender amps first thing I heard was plexi and some van halen
patches and things I downloaded to try.

I dont know how to play van halen note for note but watched a panama video
and started learning it just to be able to do it.
When the sound was there I was not worried about that.
Worried about the entire song learning it in pieces and putting it all together.
To own that.

I felt the patch the person posted was so spot on I tried it
but I had tried before dialing in a Plexi and using the same gear
now phaser flanger chorus all different for van halen
so I just name it after the artist while saving it in library.

If I adjust the settings to my guitar and playing then it becomes more to my specs not
the one who posted it but if I name it say van halen chorus or flanger and put title of song in
it all stacks up in library and if I go into library suddenly there is 20 different delay times
or as many flanger settings or uni vibe or reverb settings..

Each is different and during that I forced myself to learn how to set those
just below red line on the level and then I mess with the mix %

I was going through some landau sounds.
Wound up finding one using a BB pedal now id have not reached for that first
trying to nail Landau but I dont know why not its tube screamer type pedal
it just has more low end. But I was playing the patch and voicing that too
landau live and thinking wow what drive pedal is that ?

My point to this long ass story is you also might try other pedals speakers cabs mics ect
that you would think ah im not going to use that...

I did an the BB pedal was dialed in to get Burning Water type sound if you are familiar with landau.
its dialed into my guitars and I grabbed my e flat guitar and I thought what the hell happened too this
guitar it sucks now tone wise.

Not as good as my standard tuning guitar.
I adjusted my pickups in the e flat guitar and viola its a giant killer again.

I did this after 18 was installed so I bring it up in this diatribe so others might try it.

Only do that if you think the sound changed and not for better in my case my e flat guitar
sounded like ca ca and I re adjusted the pups and got right into Landau territory.

I only found that sound after making my own amp though inside the axe it had to be built
and not only that I own the tube amps and I matched those by ear sitting right here recorded those dry and with efx Fet ect
and have reference too build the amp in virtual world.

I did so matching the type amp I had in my head for 25 years..
it was a Dumble but it was not an over drive special.

I kept getting those and even had a 150 watt ODS made
then 100 watt ODSR which was better after we put old glass and known D parts in it.
But I was still after another sound..

The difference for the person in my head was ods vs sss voicing.
SSS is brighter but has a vast eq range.

Only when I had that amp to go by and reference some could I match something close inside axe fx to meet the demands of the lil bastard in my head.
I then started messing with tone caps tone stacks and tubes and wattage.
Increase wattage, headroom increases 150 watts or 300 watts more head room stays clean longer.

So that spawned many more amps id have never had unless I learned how to go in and coax them out of the monolith.

In doing that I was able to tone match every tube amp Ive ever owned as I know how they sounded for the most part
and the ones I have and recorded I have dry reference too.

If I tone matched all those amps id bet the amp settings alone would change where I would not like them
but such is the case for many recordings I heard some dry tracks of original songs and thought thats it ?
Thats the big hoopla ? Its thin and sounds like poo what gives ?
Well thats how the amp was set in the studio when they recorded it. The rest was all control room tricks.
I would have never guessed that.

But I did not tone match past what I matched by ear I did not re amp
I stuck with what I saved in 17.4 and then got 18 beta and went back
and adjusted that.

When I did I heard how much Greater the Dumbles sounded.
Now my SSS type amp sounded 100 % spot on too the tube amp
I sold.

In fact I surpassed that tube amp nailing it spot on and then improving that within the Axe fx II
When I played it after 18 beta was in and adjustments were made, It felt like the amp
was in the room again sitting here with me same feel same tones only I got 1000% better mix
with the axe fx II.

The real tube amp did not have a real efx loop.
I like plate reverb as well spring but wanted both
the tube amp is not useable for me if there is no Efx loop worth a damn.
asta lavista tube amp.

BTW if someone wants to pay me to make them a patch id be more then honored to try.
Someone posted asking for a reverb sound for a Queen song they were covering to me it sounded like london plate
so I dialed it in too the original song and made the patch and sent the person the settings..

He said it was spot on sounded exactly like it and thanked me for the help.
Now I just tried london plate when it came out dinked the settings and pleased the lil bastard in my head.
So when someone asked for help on that instance it took me 15 min and he had a usable patch.

I spent weeks trying to get a van halen sound and they sucked.
Then heard someone here post several clips were posted and all just tromped my patch to bits.
So I suck dialing in van halen amps burn me at the stake..
lol

I was lame and downloaded the others patches syx files and cheated like the dog I am
and owned that by setting those sounds too my guitar..

Now when I try to hamfist my way through Panama the sound is right at least.
which inspires me to learn the Fing song right or die trying..

I dont mind trying to make patches for others because it keeps my mind wide open and
I learn something every time I do it.

it sinks in after repetitive efforts even if you get stumped a second it comes too you
cause its muscle memory and before long you can blaze through a patch set it up and have it
smoking in no time flat.

Unless you suck at van halen patches and beat your head against that wall for weeks.
guilty as charged.

I also sucked at dialing in Jimmy Page amps but I still can get the led out .
I might not be using the amps I should be or efx to get it but I can still get the sounds .

Good example mkII or bender fuzz.. I would not have thought that sounds great for say
a Hendrix tune or something other then Zeppelin but it does.
perhaps even better then fuzz face in some cases as its a bit brighter overall.

Had I not tried that pedal id have never known.
Someone suggested it was their favorite on stage and I should try it I did and liked it better then the fuzz Face
I had at the time all of those improved sound wise to me.

If someone needs help with a patch or several Pm me
I will be glad to help.

I say that knowing full well many many others here can surpass me now at doing that but id be willing to try to help.
I use monitors tuned too the room they are flat response jbl pro studio monitors and I use eon 15s for my axe also
flat response.

Be glad to try to help anyone as Id learn in the process.

I also would pay the right person to work on tones for me. Lame? Meh, I work 10-12 hour days and am lucky if I get an hour of guitar time in a day... I much prefer to actually practice during that time. Plus it's always nice to get another set of ears involved, even if you have to tweak the final product.

Hello my friend,

If you want to sound like the youtube clip: you are looking for a mixing engineer.
The sound of the bass guitar makes a HUGE impact. The impact of the drums, the fact that the vocals are still cutting trough takes mixing expertise!

If you would hear the guitar seperatly you would be flabbergasted of how thin it sounds for example.

If you want to focus on purely the guitars : Research the studio paramaters + tonematch the Original recording is the ideal way for you.

I also would pay the right person to work on tones for me. Lame? Meh, I work 10-12 hour days and am lucky if I get an hour of guitar time in a day... I much prefer to actually practice during that time. Plus it's always nice to get another set of ears involved, even if you have to tweak the final product.

There is so much talk about depends on your guitar, equipment, fingers, whatever and so things won't translate well.

I believe that is baloney. Example: Tyler G's patches that he kindly shares with us are killer for me. Yes, I tweak them a bit, but even right off the bat they sound good.
Just sayin"

Back
Top Bottom