preset L/R balance?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
Experienced Axe FX user here. Just have a question about one of my presets. The left side is much louder. Can't figure out why. Thanks!

Preset attached.

Attachments

• acoustic mono.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
I cannot open your preset right now, but at least one of the float around acoustic presets I have tried had the balance set very much to the left in the cab block (with the acoustic tone match)

Thank you.

I have to wonder why this is. It does make it a little harder to balance the level, and I've set this up in mono.

Can you check the preset?
Ok, looked at your preset. The issue is the Modern Enhancer you are using. The WIDTH is set to 0%, and this is causing a majority of the "enhanced" frequencies to pan left. Try starting with your WIDTH at 50%. Here is a description of the Modern ENHANCER block from page 66 of the AxeFX manual:

Modern Enhancer Parameters The Modern Enhancer creates a widening effect through frequency-based separation of left and right channels. In comparison to the Classic Enhancer, it does not introduce the risk of phase cancellation issues when the signal is later summed to mono, and therefore poses less of a risk for use in presets.

WIDTH – Determines the character of the effect, shaping the bands of frequency separation.

DEPTH – Determines how far to the left and right opposing frequency bands will be spread.

LOW CUT, HI CUT – These set crossover frequencies to determine which parts of the signal will be enhanced, and which parts will pass through unmodified. Increasing LOW CUT causes lower frequencies to pass through unaffected. Decreasing HI CUT allows high frequencies to pass through unaffected.

BTW, the AxeFX manual is an excellent resource for the effects block.

Thank you Joe. I thought it had something to do with the enhancer block. I don't normally use that, and so I'm unfamiliar with the way it works.

Is it something that is even necessary for mono presets?

I am definitely a manual fan, but failed to check that this time around.

Is it something that is even necessary for mono presets?
If you are running mono, just run Left only. Don't even run a cable out of the Right output. As for using the enhancer, I probably wouldn't. But, audio is subjective, and there are no rules. If it contributes something to your sound in an appealing way, then go for it. Some of my Best (and WORST) effect usage have been accidents. :D

Thank you very much, Joe.

What I found is that the preset did not need the enhancer block at all. I've now got it sounding so much better than before.

It's a completely usable preset for my acoustic, which sounds better than my L.R. Baggs DI, with great effects, and the ability to quickly and easily dial out feedback. I'm not using any IR or tonematch.

Playing on my Guild F50 (from 1970) with an L.R. Baggs Lyric, through my Adam P11A studio monitors.

Edit: Oh, and it also sounds really good with my Forshage Orions for jazz (particularly the hollowbody one)!

Back
Top Bottom