Preset Incr/Decr via MIDI

Preset Increment/Decrement via MIDI

• Total voters

godprobe

Power User
While there is a Preset Increment/Decrement feature in the Axe-Fx already, as far as I know it is only accessible via either/both of the 1/4" pedal switch jacks on the back.
If possible, I'd like to have that functionality available through MIDI so as to cut down on cable and pedal clutter and leave the jacks open for expression controllers.

For me, it doesn't matter if that's made available via a configurable CC on the usual I/O > CTRL page, or if it's done through a SysEx command. Maybe an unknown SysEx command is even already available? Really, any MIDI message will do. My workaround right now is a 128-preset-long setlist on two different switches (one for up, one for down) on my MIDI pedal -- and it's definitely still a workaround since the increment/decrement is relative to itself and not the Axe-Fx.

Aren't increment and decrement assignable? Pretty sure they are. Just find them in the MIDI page under the GLOBAL menu and set them to the CC number you want to use to trigger them. Send value >0 to do an increment or decrement on appropriate CC number to use.

I looked. I can't find MIDI in the GLOBAL menu at all.

The only preset inc/dec I can find are in the pedal menu and it appears that they aren't assignable to anything other than the pedals.

pauliusmm said:
I can do preset up/down with my Rocktron Midimate.
maybe it depends on a controller

The Midimate can't do what's described here, increment through presets with repeated presses of a single button. Some controllers might have a mode that accomplishes that via actual program change commands but the Midimate isn't one of them.

Bakerman said:
pauliusmm said:
I can do preset up/down with my Rocktron Midimate.
maybe it depends on a controller

The Midimate can't do what's described here, increment through presets with repeated presses of a single button. Some controllers might have a mode that accomplishes that via actual program change commands but the Midimate isn't one of them.

are you sure?
I have a midimate only since few days ago but if i recall correctly i was able to do that when i tested it.
There is a "2nd" button, which activates secondary functions of footswitches and then you use "edit preset select" buttons to go up/down patches.

Hey, it works. Thanks for pointing that out. I either forgot or never noticed it sent PCs when stepping through presets in edit mode.

I guess in that respect the All Access does this as well. In 15 IA mode the UP switch goes to next PC set in next patch and DOWN to previous PC.

godprobe said:
While there is a Preset Increment/Decrement feature in the Axe-Fx already, as far as I know it is only accessible via either/both of the 1/4" pedal switch jacks on the back.
If possible, I'd like to have that functionality available through MIDI so as to cut down on cable and pedal clutter and leave the jacks open for expression controllers.

For me, it doesn't matter if that's made available via a configurable CC on the usual I/O > CTRL page, or if it's done through a SysEx command. Maybe an unknown SysEx command is even already available? Really, any MIDI message will do. My workaround right now is a 128-preset-long setlist on two different switches (one for up, one for down) on my MIDI pedal -- and it's definitely still a workaround since the increment/decrement is relative to itself and not the Axe-Fx.

That's a request for you MIDI foot controller, not for Axe-FX. My sold Ground Control Pro did it. And if I correctly remember, my sold FX1 did to.

Spawn-X said:
godprobe said:

That's a request for you MIDI foot controller, not for Axe-FX. My sold Ground Control Pro did it. And if I correctly remember, my sold FX1 did to.
Thanks for the support! :lol:
Here, in the wishlist, it's a request for the Axe-Fx. :)

godprobe said:
Thanks for the support! :lol:
Here, in the wishlist, it's a request for the Axe-Fx. :)
Ok, I did understand that you need it only while programming your mfc.
That's the problem while our first language is not English...

Increment/Decrement preset is needed. Without it, controllers need to keep a counter so that they can send the appropriate program change. Not all controllers allow this. Mine (SoftStep) does not and there isn't an easy way to increment or decrement using a single foot switch. Don't say this is a request for the controller... if that's the case, then fractal should remove the feature from the pedal jack!

I do this with my fcb with uno chip. U actually have up to 7 i think devices which are all midi assignable. I use wah in one of the pedals and volume in the other bypassed by themselves without having to assign any on off switches.

program change messages are different from continuos controller messages, but they are part of the normal/standard MIDI spec.
Every synth I own can be switches with program change messages

I/O -> MIDI tab lists Prog change as second parameter

the question is: can your controiller send pc messages? (and it would be a pretty lousy controller if it didn't)

Last edited:
the question is: can your controiller send pc messages? (and it would be a pretty lousy controller if it didn't)
Not sure if your reply was in response to farrakon, but if not...
PCs call specific presets.
They never have and never will increment or decrement.
This wishlist item has nothing whatsoever to do with PCs.

Not sure if your reply was in response to farrakon, but if not...
PCs call specific presets.
They never have and never will increment or decrement.
This wishlist item has nothing whatsoever to do with PCs.

my bad.
I thought +/- on a preset is done with pcs.

Increment/Decrement preset is needed. Without it, controllers need to keep a counter so that they can send the appropriate program change. Not all controllers allow this. Mine (SoftStep) does not and there isn't an easy way to increment or decrement using a single foot switch. Don't say this is a request for the controller... if that's the case, then fractal should remove the feature from the pedal jack!

Have you ever been able to make this work with the SoftStep?

Back
Top Bottom