Preset conversion tool

Opi-Wahn

Hi!
I really love my Axe FX II. But there is one thing, that is bothering me more and more: most new presets are for the XL (+), and can not be used by owners of the original Axe. Please Cliff (or anybody who can do this): how hard can it be to write a program as a conversion tool for the XL presets to use them with the original/Mark II Axe? And if you don't want to give it for free, sell it for a Fistful of Dollars (or even For a few Dollars more ;-)). I and probably a lot of early adopters would appreciate this very much!!
Thanks, Opi-Wahn

It's pretty simple really.. the syx preset file format is different, and Cliff has added/removed/upgrades parameters in Quantum that have NO equivalent in the older models.
It's NOT a programming challenge, it's determining what to REMOVE from the XL(+) presets to make them backward compatible.
THAT is an enormous amount of work..

How about something like the old 3rd party AxeReporter program? If we were able to even generate a spreadsheet and then manually input the block parameters, we'd get a pretty close facsimile of the patch, parameters only available on newer models notwithstanding.

Or even a version of Axe-Edit that would load up regardless of which unit you have (wasn't it like this much older versions of Axe-Edit?) and then we could see and write down the parameters ourselves.

you can print all the settings of a patch from axe edit to a file, so users could on there own attach these to the axechange. I am sure though most would not use this because we are to lazy to go through all those settings, when we are pretty sure that the outcome more then likely will not translate well on our system anyways.

you can print all the settings of a patch from axe edit to a file, so users could on there own attach these to the axechange. I am sure though most would not use this because we are to lazy to go through all those settings, when we are pretty sure that the outcome more then likely will not translate well on our system anyways.

I would think most patches would translate pretty well for the most part, there aren't a huge amount of tone alerting parameter differences between the two, are there?

I have down loaded a few patches from the axechange, and never liked the way most of them sounded on my rig with out much tweaking. so if you also are missing blocks that the preset was made with that are not available in the II, it will never sound the same anyways.

I would think most patches would translate pretty well for the most part, there aren't a huge amount of tone alerting parameter differences between the two, are there?

Mainly just more X/Y states on the XL, I believe

Hi!
I really love my Axe FX II. But there is one thing, that is bothering me more and more: most new presets are for the XL (+), and can not be used by owners of the original Axe. Please Cliff (or anybody who can do this): how hard can it be to write a program as a conversion tool for the XL presets to use them with the original/Mark II Axe? And if you don't want to give it for free, sell it for a Fistful of Dollars (or even For a few Dollars more ;-)). I and probably a lot of early adopters would appreciate this very much!!
Thanks, Opi-Wahn

Since FAS is still giving free firmware updates and makes $0 from anything previous to the XL+ (unless you buy cab packs), it really doesn't make sense to spend time/money for development. It would be great if a 3rd party stepped up to the plate though!

Fractal have given us a good option to use XL patches... buy an XL =)

Granted it is frustrating when a cool new patch comes out and its in the XL format, BUT, at the same time, given that my II is still getting the FW updates I'm pretty happy overall.

I mean sure, not getting to check out the new Metallica XL patches is a bummer, but is much LESS of a bummer than if the Q2.01 Beta was designed only to run on the XL, know what I mean ?

I exported all the blocks for the new Metallica presets that Guitarjon did
Fractal have given us a good option to use XL patches... buy an XL =)

Granted it is frustrating when a cool new patch comes out and its in the XL format, BUT, at the same time, given that my II is still getting the FW updates I'm pretty happy overall.

I mean sure, not getting to check out the new Metallica XL patches is a bummer, but is much LESS of a bummer than if the Q2.01 Beta was designed only to run on the XL, know what I mean ?

I exported all the blocks for the new Metallica presets that Guitarjon did into folders with pictures of how to arrange them in his thread. So you should be able to load them up.

Back
Top Bottom