Preferred choice for full range amps

Firewalker

Good day everyone,

I am looking at purchasing (or should I say adding my name to the waitlist to purchase) an AX8. I am currently running a POD HD500 using the 4 cable method into a Mesa Boogie DC-10. I have read a lot that the AX8 was meant more for full range speakers/amps.

Is there a preferred choice for full range speakers out there? (IE is there a 'fractal' quality full range amp out there?)

If you want the "amp in the room feel", Mission Engineering makes the Gemini series (1X12 & 2X12) that allow you to dial in completely "flat" frequencies or guitar speaker cabinet frequencies.

There's nothing to keep you from using the AX8 with your amp in 4CM as you have been. Personally, if you buy an AX8, I'd start there. Going directly to FRFR is a big leap. It is true that the AX8 is not "optimized" for use in 4CM with an amp (for that, you'll want to Fractal FX8 if you don't want to use the amp and cabinet modeling) but the AX8 still will blow away your HD500 when used with an amp.

I'll second the Atomic CLR as a top notch choice for a FRFR speaker.

XiTone FBT
Finding the right IR to use with whatever choice you go with will be critical to getting your tone right!

If you want the "amp in the room feel", Mission Engineering makes the Gemini series (1X12 & 2X12) that allow you to dial in completely "flat" frequencies or guitar speaker cabinet frequencies.

For me, getting that "amp in the room" feel has a lot to do with volume.
With my XiTone powered 1X12, my FBT 2 way monitor 10", or my PreSonus home monitors, when the volume is right I forget all about the amp in the room thing. Again the IR is a critical key factor for feel to me.

I've got a powered XiTone wedge and 2 passive ones I run in stereo with a Matrix power amp. They sound great. Have a Friedman on back order with Sweetwater.

For me, getting that "amp in the room" feel has a lot to do with volume.
With my XiTone powered 1X12, my FBT 2 way monitor 10", or my PreSonus home monitors, when the volume is right I forget all about the amp in the room thing. Again the IR is a critical key factor for feel to me.
I probably should've said "if you need to wean off the amp" as I used to run other units through the FX loop on my JCM2000. It wasn't a bad sound, but I see just how much it colored my sound. The Mission lets you slowly "let go" with a knob on the back that goes from flat to amp as much or little as you want.

Inexpensive and opened back, consider the Tech 21 PE 60. It's very light weight, as well. Travels easy. I've used mine for years with my Ultra.
I bought 2 of those Tech 21 PE 60's off Ebay from 2 different guys. They each had a different speaker in them. I called down to NYC to Tech 21 and they told me that one speaker was supposed to be their FRFR and the other was more like an amp speaker. So be careful when you consider buying/trying one of these. It was plenty loud enough and the box itself is very light and easy to handle . And the speakers were not the same size, either. Once of them was like a 1/2 inch smaller than the other so to mount it if you changed it out would be a problem.

I bought 2 of those Tech 21 PE 60's off Ebay from 2 different guys. They each had a different speaker in them. I called down to NYC to Tech 21 and they told me that one speaker was supposed to be their FRFR and the other was more like an amp speaker. So be careful when you consider buying/trying one of these. It was plenty loud enough and the box itself is very light and easy to handle . And the speakers were not the same size, either. Once of them was like a 1/2 inch smaller than the other so to mount it if you changed it out would be a problem.
Which speaker did you prefer?

I am running 2 custom XiTone 2X12 cabs pushed by a Matrix GT1600FX and I love it! They sound huge and clear! I use to run a Mesa 4X12 and I always felt like I was battling the eq curve of the cab and now I can get any tone I want with the cab sims. They don't sound shrill at all.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm same position, considering what speaker to get (wait list for ax8). Had matrix q12a and clr when I had an axe fx before, so considering a Friedman asm-12.

Back
Top Bottom