(Precision) Drive Comparison - looking for new ideas

PossumBear

I've seen the buzz about the Precision Drive coming to the FM3, and I decided to unbox my own PD that I put away the day the FM3 arrived to see if it would be a fit for me. Long story short, I didn't love it and I wondered what your thoughts are. Anyone else trying the PD before going into the FM3? Anyone compared this to how it sounds with the PD model on an FX3? I was puzzled because this was the best drive I ever used on my Marshall DSL.

I dived into a drive comparison as a result, using a Bulb IR and 5150 block model. My guitar has a SD Pegasus pickup, and I'm tuned to drop B. Naturally I'm a bit modern-metal minded right now. I had been using the TS808 model for a long time and was satisfied with it, but always hoped there was more. Here's what I found, with all drives set to 0 Drive and 10 Level:
No drive: a bit dull and muddy, as you'd expect
TS808: much more detailed, beefier sounding
No drive, engaging outboard PD: cleaner, but uncontrolled feeling. I even dialed back the level (since the real PD has a huge range) and played with the attack knob, but it almost always felt like I had 2 drives engaged.
Microboost: Feels huge, but got muddier
Shimmer Drive: Bingo! Tight, articulate, not too much distortion.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I'm anxious to sell my PD if what I'm seeing isn't a fluke.

I don't think we have the Compulsion model yet on the FM3, but for any FX3 owners is that another contender? I've searched on here a lot but haven't found the info I was after - let me know if I missed a relevant thread, sorry in advance if so.

Thanks lads🤘

Back
Top Bottom