Preamp block viable?

Ironwill

Experienced
"Hey how about a preamp block with a Neve 1073 sim etc. in the Axe fx 2? I see there are many people run their Axe analog to a Pre before they go in their system and DAW in general, so why not bring that to the grid for users recording straight USB or also XLR out of box? Just a idea, what you mean?

A lot engineers out there almost entirely would run a Axe over a other preamp to bring warmth and character from NEVE, API ,SSL to their tones. I'd love to have this process in my Axe FX,its my very only wish for a future update! :) Neve 1073,(Vintech 73i) \m/

A Preamp block like that could be recommend to put at the end of the grid then,"

If you like and wish a few classic Preamplifiers to your Axe Fx II too, please give your vote at it and comment on this poll: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...you-love-get-preamps-neve-1073-axe-fx-ii.html

Last edited:
Ahh. I'm just a poo-pooer sometimes. Why not get UAD? I love that the Axe Fx does what it's intended to do, as I understand it. A GUITAR AMP MODELER with great effects. I think Cliff has done this so well, peeps want everything else in it too. I'm sure it can be done. My Metric Halo ULN-8s have preamp simulators. But that's one of the things it is already. It has great mic pres in it. I mean it'd be cool and all and I'm sure Cliff could do it, if anyone can. It's a color after all.

I did a CD where I argued with the engineer. He didn't understand the Axe Fx. He had a wall of amps and guitars and Neves. I'm an engineer myself and am not the biggest fan of somethings that are in most engineers guitar's toolkit like Neve 1073/1272 or Distressors. For certain tones and genres they sound great. But this guy, lucky I gave him a DI from output 2 AND my stereo. I was so stressed at the session, doing 16 songs in two days with no rehearsal, - MY SESSION -that I couldn't deal with the fact that the Axe Fx II sounded like complete shit. Well he put the stereo output through a Neve. He had his studio guitar rig soundset up through his Trident board and it just sounded like shit. I had the damn thing sounding like I wanted it to sound, not all cloudy, musty and dingy like Neves can make them sound.

As I said for many rock 'n roll things they do wonders. But not all the time, or at least not for me. Sometimes engineers and guitarist do the "me too" thing, without really getting those tools underneath your fingertips, so you can GET for yourself, what they sound like and do to your sound. .

That's strange. I've gotten my biggest, fattest, clearest bass sounds out of Neve 1073s direct into an Apogee to PT! Maybe it was the Trident or something else (engineer!). I understand the Neve "haze" effect if you use it on everything but cloudy, musty and dingy are not terms I have ever experienced with Neve. I would love it if CLiff modeled some vintage compressors like the LA 2A, 1176 etc.

I take my AXE II output straight into a Chameleon labs 7702 X-Mod, which is an updated clone of the 1073, then into my Apogee Rosetta 8. Once I put it through that premap, it was over! Honey-sweet sound, plus the very capable and musical EQ for touch-ups on the way into the DAW. Fantastic! If the Axe could REALLY emulate that, i'd be all for it. I think it'd be a tall order, though. Different kind of magic in those Neves: Carnhill Transformers, not tubes. But if anyone can do it, Cliff can!

I know mine os a minority opinion. For some presets it works really well. I'e used a LOT of Neves. I'm quite familiar with them.

Ahh. I'm just a poo-pooer sometimes. Why not get UAD? I love that the Axe Fx does what it's intended to do, as I understand it. A GUITAR AMP MODELER with great effects. I think Cliff has done this so well, peeps want everything else in it too. I'm sure it can be done. My Metric Halo ULN-8s have preamp simulators. But that's one of the things it is already. It has great mic pres in it. I mean it'd be cool and all and I'm sure Cliff could do it, if anyone can. It's a color after all.

I did a CD where I argued with the engineer. He didn't understand the Axe Fx. He had a wall of amps and guitars and Neves. I'm an engineer myself and am not the biggest fan of somethings that are in most engineers guitar's toolkit like Neve 1073/1272 or Distressors. For certain tones and genres they sound great. But this guy, lucky I gave him a DI from output 2 AND my stereo. I was so stressed at the session, doing 16 songs in two days with no rehearsal, - MY SESSION -that I couldn't deal with the fact that the Axe Fx II sounded like complete shit. Well he put the stereo output through a Neve. He had his studio guitar rig soundset up through his Trident board and it just sounded like shit. I had the damn thing sounding like I wanted it to sound, not all cloudy, musty and dingy like Neves can make them sound.

As I said for many rock 'n roll things they do wonders. But not all the time, or at least not for me. Sometimes engineers and guitarist do the "me too" thing, without really getting those tools underneath your fingertips, so you can GET for yourself, what they sound like and do to your sound. .

Hey Henry, interesting story man, i really understand your point of view also, just thought it would be a great new thing to the Axe guitar processor,

sad to hear that you didn't liked the 1073 and what it does bad to your sound (on that day) ;-) But I think it would be still awesome thing by a amp block model or seperate preamp block?! with a few more other simulated Class A Preamplifiers, may you like more !

I mean, come on.. you know how many possibilities we have with the Axe Fx, thats so amazing to try new stuff in certain situation also needed and we have it because of CLiff made it possible. To be honest i don't tried all blocks at my Axe fx 2 out after a half year,actually there are blocks and improvements i don't need too, so far!!! For example I am a simple guy with my setup GTE,DRIVE,AMP, PEQ,CAB and FXL but maybe iam in the situation to need or want to go for one of the other blocks we have, and they are there because our axe fx dream box. Perhaps you and other users want to choose a certain preamp model to the Grid sometimes for some reason, it will be there in our steady improved Axe 2!!!

Sry iam not a good writer most of all in english haha Hard to impress myself then.

By the way, I have the new Scheps 73 of Waves, love it! But thought it would be better to get it at the signal end of the Axe when i record straight USB, or have it for playing LIve!

I know mine os a minority opinion. For some presets it works really well. I'e used a LOT of Neves. I'm quite familiar with them.

I get what you are saying. Just because you have a Neve doesn't mean A: You know how to get the best sound from it B: You should use it on every track.

And there are lots of engineers that skip learning audio and jump straight to acquiring the famous pieces of kit.

But back to the AxeFx :)... there are certain pieces of outboard gear associated with electric guitar and electric bass recording that would be wonderful "in the box".

Personally a really good LA-2A, 1176 and Fairchild Tube compressor sim would be my first choice over a Neve preamp. And technically I think its the Neve EQ from the channels of the old Neve desks that adds a ton of vibe to the tracks we all love (in addition to the saturation of the pre).

I'm not so sure about the Millenia (or Earthworks) or other "color-less" pres?

Once "inside" the Fractal, the audio is de facto color-less... no? Pre's like that are for getting purity not color.

Henry, how about a Millennia mic pre!
Millennia's are a very pristine, flat, type of pre amp. They are not really known for a "colored" sound. Let's face it, that's what you all are asking for is something that adds an analog coloration, whatever particular flavor that may be. I don't think the AXE FX 2 sounds particularly digital or sterile. Quite the contrary. I'm guessing that's at least part of the reason we all love it so much.

Millennia's are a very pristine, flat, type of pre amp. They are not really known for a "colored" sound. Let's face it, that's what you all are asking for is something that adds an analog coloration, whatever particular flavor that may be. I don't think the AXE FX 2 sounds particularly digital or sterile. Quite the contrary. I'm guessing that's at least part of the reason we all love it so much.

I know. I wrote it because I know Henry really likes those pres.:)

How about Wunder PAFOUR or Great river MP2NV ?

FAS would need the certain resource of preamplifier to built them in right,

It's probably not as needed now (if it ever was) with all the FAS mix IRs & 3rd party IRs that have the mic & pre baked in. If it is ever implemented, maybe it should be in the cab block along with the mic choices.

I love Millennia!! Good that you knew that! But it's a clean, transparent preamp. Not necessary to have an emulation of that. However most of my guitar pre ULN-8 and Axe was done with the Millennia pre. Some people really liked the sound and were surprised to find out what it was.

It's probably not as needed now (if it ever was) with all the FAS mix IRs & 3rd party IRs that have the mic & pre baked in. If it is ever implemented, maybe it should be in the cab block along with the mic choices.

Actually all the IR's have a speaker baked in too.

Those of us that want a mic pre block, want one to take the place of the cab block and no amp.

The attitude of, "just get a UAD," the Henry voiced is kind of like saying a few FW's ago, if you want Mesa Bass amp, go get one.

Cliff, Matt, and the rest of FAS certainly delivered on that one, so I see no reason why we can't wish for a mic pre block.

Difficult situation haha, yeah i especially thought on a Preamp block to put on the end grid before output,to sim a studio setup some engineers use often together with the Axe, i mean i have the scheps 1073 plugin in pro tools, my idea was just that it d be nicer to have this part in the box when i record my guitars straight USB or live then, yep Not sure what can be the best way to viable this, new amp model, in cab or a new preamp block, a preamp block would only make more sense for me in my case.

The general pre part is baked in the IR how you said, thats good way, i have a custom IR that way too, don't actual need the a preamp to choose extra in the cab section on that view.

The attitude of, "just get a UAD," the Henry voiced is kind of like saying a few FW's ago, if you want Mesa Bass amp, go get one.

Cliff, Matt, and the rest of FAS certainly delivered on that one, so I see no reason why we can't wish for a mic pre block.

No because the Mesa is exactly what FAS does - model AMPS, not microphone preamps.

Seems to me Products that try to expand into too many area's of technology wind up losing the magic, I think it's best to leave the AxFx to what it's created to do ,"Guitar and Bass amps and effects" keep the focus where it belongs! The preamp and outboard gear applications available are awesome ,I use UAD stuff myself and love it, but wouldn't use their Amp plugin's!

Seems to me Products that try to expand into too many area's of technology wind up losing the magic, I think it's best to leave the AxFx to what it's created to do ,"Guitar and Bass amps and effects" keep the focus where it belongs! The preamp and outboard gear applications available are awesome ,I use UAD stuff myself and love it, but wouldn't use their Amp plugin's!
Certainly man, your right! But when its to complex technology to get in the box for a new block option, when why not try to model a few classic Pre' s to the amp block perhaps, there is already one FAS Tube pre..?

Back
Top Bottom