Pre-purchase thoughts

Karinger

I work with computers all day long, but find when it comes to music gear that I'd rather work mostly from the front panel or floorboard. The occasional tweak or firmware upgrade are acceptable.

1. Are all the functions available through the panel?

Next, I have some truly fabulous effects. I could sell them and easily purchase a Fractal unit with the profit, but don't want to get rid of anything I can't replicate as well or better with it.

2. Is there anywhere that I can find out what pedals that are easily replaced or emulated with the AXE-FX III?

There may be more questions to follow. I know this is an above par piece of gear. I am doing my homework to prevent sellers remorse.

Yes. everything is developed from the front panel first, and then pushed to an Axe-Edit update. so the front panel is always the most complete at any given time.

2. Is there anywhere that I can find out what pedals that are easily replaced or emulated with the AXE-FX III?
the Wiki shares detail. you may have to also check the Axe-Fx II section, as much may be the same, but i believe there are sections for the effects specifically:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_III

Yes. However, there is a LOT functionality in the Axe-FX. For efficiency and to see all it can do I recommend using the software.

The manual and the wiki have lists. Keep in mind that each effect block has multiple types of that effect.

See Blocks Guide on page 51
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-3/Axe-Fx-III-Owners-Manual.pdf

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_III#Effects_list

Aside from what @Jeries said (I concur), it would be easier to list the effects that are "must haves" for you.

The Axe Fx III can emulate a LOT of effects... But not everything.

Yes. everything is developed from the front panel first, and then pushed to an Axe-Edit update. so the front panel is always the most complete at any given time.
However there are some "convenience" options in Axe-Edit that are not there on front panel like swapping scenes.

However there are some "convenience" options in Axe-Edit that are not there on front panel like swapping scenes.
true. the editor has ease-of-use functions for preset management, loading presets, block libraries, etc. also swapping scenes and channels like you mentioned. but there are some of these functions in one of the Layout menus if you page right all the way.

i can't see only sticking to one method of editing ever. but every parameter is available on the front panel, and some nice ease-of-use things are provided by the editor. i use both.

true. the editor has ease-of-use functions for preset management, loading presets, block libraries, etc. also swapping scenes and channels like you mentioned. but there are some of these functions in one of the Layout menus if you page right all the way.

i can't see only sticking to one method of editing ever. but every parameter is available on the front panel, and some nice ease-of-use things are provided by the editor. i use both.
I agree 100%... And I use the front panel the majority of the time with my III where it was almost never when I had the II.

I dont think you can add the Performance screen parameters via the front panel. Other than that everything is quick and easy from the front panel.

I work with computers all day as well but, mainly use Axe Edit to make my presets,scenes, etc. then use the front panel live when I need, which is just for minor tweaks and the performance screen on the axe panel is awesome for this.
Now that I’m comfortable with my presets and tone, I spend most of my time just enjoying playing and writing. Couldn’t be happier!!

I dont think you can add the Performance screen parameters via the front panel. Other than that everything is quick and easy from the front panel.
^^^ This. That's the only thing I know of you can't do in the unit. Not in front it now, but I think you can swap scenes too (re above).

I'm with you OP, much prefer no computer. However, while the panel Ui is good, it's a deep unit, and the software is better. For instance, it holds so many IRs (cabs), it's nice to filter by name, which is only in the software.

Short version, I bet you'll like it away, I do, and I'm still mostly on the unit.

OP, I initially felt like you. I wanted to do everything from the front panel. Then I purchased the Master Course and started using Axe Edit. It just makes things SO much easier, as well as faster. Once you try it you’ll see what I mean.

I actually only rarely use Axe Edit and I have pretty involved presets. My computer is on the slow side so I can actually edit faster on the unit.

I'm thinking that all my drive pedals and tri-chorus will be more than replaced. It's really hard to let go. Now I have to figure out where I can get the highest return.

I'm thinking that all my drive pedals and tri-chorus will be more than replaced. It's really hard to let go. Now I have to figure out where I can get the highest return.
I never had any modelers, always played tube amps with 4 x 12 cabs. My first so called modeler was a Triaxis paired with a G-Major 2 for effects. I liked it a lot. Never thought I would find any modeler that would satisfy me. Then I got my first AXE FX II XL+. Once I got used to it, I was sold. It replaced my Triaxis and G-Major 2. And it pretty much silenced my collection of tube amps. Now I have a couple of AXE FX III units. I use both the front screen and AXE Edit, (which is more convenient). The tone is great and the effects are top notch. Add to that the support you get and it's a home run.

Last edited:
Next, I have some truly fabulous effects. I could sell them and easily purchase a Fractal unit with the profit, but don't want to get rid of anything I can't replicate as well or better with it.

I initially kept all of my pedals, but soon realized that I had everything I need in the Axe-FX III and sold (almost) everything.
I kept a few pedals just in case I need a small analog pedalboard.

I only regret selling a Strymon Blue Sky as its shimmer reverb is truly amazing and can’t be emulated with the Axe-FX. But let’s face it: it’s an effect I rarely use, and when I used it most of the time it was just for ear candy.

Anyway, if you have a must have pedal that you can’t replace, you can easily hook it up to the Axe-FX and used it via a send/return block much like you would do with an amp.

Back
Top Bottom