Pre-purchase thoughts

Aside from what @Jeries said (I concur), it would be easier to list the effects that are "must haves" for you.

The Axe Fx III can emulate a LOT of effects... But not everything.

There's very little it can't do... and anyone talking about Strymons and Eventide pedals-- all most of those are are just multi effects just doing preset patches- all of which can be replicated in any Axe Fx, I've said this before- anything a strymon can do a Boss GT-8 or Boss GT-10 could do without the amps/distortion on.

I have owned thousands of pedals... I currently own about 200 today- and I collect them like baseball cards- I don't really use them... I don't really need any of them to get what I need out of guitar/the axe fx/my sound... At a maximum I use a Morley Wah into the front because it's easier at times.

But there's nothing any reasonable person is missing out on. At most, Z-Vex Fuzz Factory and Seek Wah... but I'm sure there's probably some method for it now. I keep a Line 6 M5 and G-Major 2 around for the hell of it... but I don't need anything.

The Axe Fx III can emulate a LOT of effects... But not everything.
There's very little it can't do... and anyone talking about Strymons and Eventide pedals
No. Sorry.
Actually there are enough settings, power and features, on the AXE FX III, to pretty much duplicate any pedal.
Here's an old video, from @2112 Leon Todd, using an AX8 comparison to a Strymon Timeline. I think it's very convincing with the AX8.
I can only imagine the possibilities that can be achieved, by using the full potential and power of the AXE FX III.

Last edited:
I'm gona go against the grain and say that from the situation you described I would prefer the FM3. It is smaller and easier to move around, it has foot switches which could make jamming to backing tracks more fun, it isnt as powerful but if you are just recording I dont see you running into issues.
This is coming from a guy who got the Axe FXIII and maxed out the CPU on my first preset. For my needs the Axe FXIII plus an FC12 with 6 external switches is just barely getting me by, but if I was recording I think I would prefer the FM3.

Actually there are enough settings, power and features, on the AXE FX III, to pretty much duplicate any pedal.
Here's an old video, from @2112 Leon Todd, using an AX8 comparison to a Strymon Timeline. I think it's very convincing with the AX8.
I can only imagine the possibilities that can be achieved, by using the full potential and power of the AXE FX III.

Re-read his post. He was replying about GT-8 and GT-10 not the Axe Fx;)

Next, I have some truly fabulous effects. I could sell them and easily purchase a Fractal unit with the profit, but don't want to get rid of anything I can't replicate as well or better with it.

For what it's worth, I have at least 100 vintage and boutique pedals and a bunch of great amps. I started off by running pedals in front of the Axe-Fx, but quickly realized that I could duplicate pretty much everything I had. There are some things that don’t directly translate (like the EHX 16 Second Delay), but I've also been able to create a bunch of sounds that weren't really possible with my analog gear.

Re-read his post. He was replying about GT-8 and GT-10 not the Axe Fx;)
Yea but @Jeries responded to your post "The Axe Fx III can emulate a LOT of effects... But not everything. ", with a response of "There's very little it can't do... and anyone talking about Strymons and Eventide pedals"
So my post may have been a little confusing :)

Last edited:
2. Is there anywhere that I can find out what pedals that are easily replaced or emulated with the AXE-FX III?

I'm generalizing here but there are like 5 drive pedals on the market and basically all the variants just have tweaks to component values or mix and match circuits and claim they have TEH TIGHTEST DRIVE EVAR. You can get very close to anything in the Axe if it doesn't provide a direct copy. Ex: the million tube screamer clones out there can be 99.9% copied by the Axe by tweaking some of the parameters with your ear. The Axe might say it's a tube screamer but it sure sounds like a YATS Boutique Wallet Masher 3000.

Edit: I should add that some other pedals out there with things like multiband-distortion can also be done on Axe in a few ways. I play a lot of bass so I like to run a cross-over and only run a distortion on the high end and let the low end come thru clean. That takes care of a large swath of bass-edition drives that distort "while retaining the low end unlike all those other competing pedals", or just run a clean in parallel for the "we added a blend knob and charge an extra $50". "We found a secret cache of unobtanium pre-lenin russian transistors" = set the drive to germanium.

Last edited:
Did you get the exclusive 100 unit run gooped in raspberry jello though? The tone is so open and has a certain resonance that has yet to be equaled...

Did you get the exclusive 100 unit run gooped in raspberry jello though? The tone is so open and has a certain resonance that has yet to be equaled...

Everyone knows that pistachio flavor is king of the hill for schmoo (and that the Germans make the best schmoo) …

In all seriousness, the only pedal I've not been able to replicate on the Axe is my Catalinbread Antichthon, but I haven't tried too hard. It's just a noisy mess of a pedal that I use in the bridge of one spooky song only played at gigs in October.

Here is the complete list of my current board. Amp is clean all gain supplied currently by pedals.
Not in chain order...

Tru-Fi Color Driver (Very versitile drive/push)
Empress Reverb (Truely "special" reverb)
Empress Echo
Petty John Crush (Compressor)
Wampler Tumnus Deluxe (Klon Klone)
Fulltone OCD V2
MXR Phase 90 '74 reissue
Ethos TWE-1 (Trainwreck clone)
Xotic EP Boost
Ramble FX Marvel Drive 3 (Plexi with channels jumped)
Neunaber Immerse (Yeah more "special" reverb)
Vick Audio Tree of life
A/DA Flanger
Neo Ventilator II (Love this thing)
Free the tone Tri Avitar (tri-chorus)
Buffalo FX M-1 (Exceptional Rams head Muff Clone)
Hotone Omni AC (turns electric to multi flavored acoustic)

I figure the following are easily replaced by the AXE-FX III:

Petty John Crush (Compressor)
Fulltone OCD V2
MXR Phase 90 '74 reissue
Ethos TWE-1 (Trainwreck clone)
Ramble FX Marvel Drive 3 (Plexi with channels jumped)
Free the tone Tri Avitar (tri-chorus)

I don't see anything there you won't be able reproduce within 10% aside from maybe the empress stuff - assuming you're actually using their weirder models. That being said, if you post a clip of said weird model you hope to replicate, someone here may be able to help you do it.

I had the timeline/bigsky before my FX8, and I didn't miss them once I got it set up. I think Empress gets a little more out there with theirs though.

I don't see anything there you won't be able reproduce within 10% aside from maybe the empress stuff - assuming you're actually using their weirder models. That being said, if you post a clip of said weird model you hope to replicate, someone here may be able to help you do it.

I had the timeline/bigsky before my FX8, and I didn't miss them once I got it set up. I think Empress gets a little more out there with theirs though.

Not using the VERY weird settings... Mostly been there done that, I suppose...

Back
Top Bottom