Practice on the go, what to use?

Evz

Inspired
Hey guys,

I'd like to start with saying I love my Axe II to death and find that every thing else is almost sterile in tone to my ears. Unfortunately, I am in a position where I don't spend much time at home cause of school and lady friend, and end up away during the weekends and sometimes week nights so its hard to get alot of time with the axe setup (monitors and mfc and all the bells and whistles).

So I would like to look at more portable solutions, as lugging the axe + speakers or the axe by itself is tedious, I was thinking of using something simply computer based like Amplitube or Guitar rig... but my problem is that after the II amplitube and guitar rig sound at about 30% of the axe, which to me, simply deters me from playing (i tried both amplitube 3 and GR5 with the redwirez).

My next thoughts are leading me to the likes of the pod HD... but it would be a little painstaking to test one out (i'd have to buy it and return it if i dont like it) so I was wondering what the fine folk of the forums do in such situations?

my worst case would taking the axe everywhere, but i'd like to avoid that, i'm looking for something simple, cost isnt really a problem, but portability and tone are important to me. i'd also be bringing my laptop too, so something with computer integration is alright as well... i have heard of almost axe-par results using a podhd + redwirez...

anyway, enough rambling, anyone with similar issues and potential solutions?

Thanks!

ps... wish list for cliff: mini axe fx! something with a tiny footprint, but same capabilities as the rack versions. i'd buy that! maybe even twice ;)

how about just that Axe and a pair of headphones..
and just use simpler presets for practice..

If it comes to that, just a pain to lug the axe on top of the guitar, computer, and whatever else i need to bring :( oh well

or maybe something like GuitarRig in the laptop

however, GuitarRig is an amazing fx processor for everything but guitars..
you have to work quite hard to make nice sounding / feeling tones...

IPAD, Jamup Pro and a Guitar rig Adapter, Done.
Sometimes you have to make Decisions based on Time, and place. Get past the crappy sound because those 10,000 hours don't work themselves...:D

yea, that seems to be the realization... the axe has ruined my ears for tone, hard to use anything that doesnt sound as well! but what can you do? those hours definitely don't work themselves :p

For learning tunes anywhere, I have found my ipad, ampkit app , amazing slowdowner app and the line 6 mobile interface to be great. No it doesnt sound as good as the AX, but it is a nice practice setup. Ampkit lets you monitor guitar while using amazing slowdowner. Other guitar apps dont. I prefer the sound of Line6 app to others for a quick mobile rig, but it wont let you monitor while using Amazing slowdowner. Dont buy the cheap irig interface. I found the L6 ipad interface to work well.
Amazing slowdowner lets you loop parts, pitch correct, and slowdown parts. I love it!

I love my Pocket Pod. Goes anywhere, fits in my guitar case or in my pocket (hence the name).

More than passable tones, runs on batteries, cheap on the secondary market. :)

I use Ampkit with Apogee Jam and I like it quite a bit for my application - playing at home. You can play along with songs in your library or songs you've recorded. One thing JamUp has that seems pretty useful for practice are integrated tempo and pitch controls for the play-along.

@Scottburrow, how good are those controls? Can you transpose songs that are in between keys (some people record like that sometimes)? Thanks

I use Ampkit with Apogee Jam and I like it quite a bit for my application - playing at home. You can play along with songs in your library or songs you've recorded. One thing JamUp has that seems pretty useful for practice are integrated tempo and pitch controls for the play-along.

@Scottburrow, how good are those controls? Can you transpose songs that are in between keys (some people record like that sometimes)? Thanks

Jam up pro lets you change pitch. What I want is for the Audiobus technology working with Capo for IPAD would be great. Audiobus works great with Jam up pro. Audiobus lets you use more than 1 Ipad app run at a time interconnectively.

I also have a pocket POD, which was a lifesaver when I was out of country for 5 months. Nowdays, I think I'd go iPad with the guitar rig adapter... which is one of the main reasons I want an iPad. Other than that, I second Luke's idea. I play without being plugged in a LOT. Also, a nice acoustic will do wonders for keeping your electric chops in shape.

You could plug a Tech 21 Character pedal into your laptop and use the software just for FX... I have the Liverpool, it sounds quite good.

quick update - went to my local music store to try out the POD HD and it just didnt stand out for me, so when I got home i took another crack at amplitube, and tried out their fender models, soldano slo, and slash marshal in logic with Rewire IR plug in, and I gotta say, with some fiddling and time I was able to get tones i found were close to what the axe does. Do note that the dynamic response of amplitube is nothing compared to the axe though! (I judged by pick attack and guitar volume controls) So I think I might just stick to amplitube... will play around with it some more.

I guess its good news? at least better news :)

Back
Top Bottom