power tube bias question

tpruitt

I was messing with tone matching and was wondering how you guys handle tone matching a amp like a jcm800 that has say kt77s?
Not worry about it?
I ask because amps like a mesa that run 6l6s and a el34 marshall are biased differently but yet all the amps in the axe are biased in the 30 to 35 range.

I took a t.m. that i knew had kt88s and bumped up the bias to real specs and it added the sizzle i hear from the real amp but the t.m. was missing.
its late, maybe I'm thinking to much into this lol.

I read that about transformers but i think tubes can be just as tone changing.
And yes the slawn nitro ..i believe ..has kt88s.these tubes are biased almost twice as high
as el34s,so why isn't that set in the axefx?
Like i said all the amps i looked at are set to 30/35ma and thats almost in the el34 range of real
Tube amps.

The "value" of the parameter is not milliamps. It's a normalized value from 0 to 1.0.

The "value" of the parameter is not milliamps. It's a normalized value from 0 to 1.0.

Normalized to what, class A operation, where 1.0 = class A?

Edit - never mind; answered my own question. From the manual: POWER TUBE BIAS – Sets the bias point of the virtual power amp. Lower values approach pure Class-Boperation. Higher values approach pure Class-A operation.

Back
Top Bottom