power speaker recommendation

I agree on your first part about coaxial designs having the edge for a FRFR speaker.

The earlier comment on 10" FRFR having an advantage over a 12"/15" FRFR is still valid though. The comment was about 10" FRFR cabinets, not 10" GUITAR cabinets. Apples vs oranges.

The rationale is that a 10" 2-way FRFR design is better at producing the critical midrange component guitarists need, whereas in many many 12"/15" 2-way designs that critical midrange can sometimes get lost in the crossover design. Also, many of these speakers tend to be designed not for accuracy but for club or live situations where an exaggerated low-end is favored. That said, you could also make the case that a well designed 12" won't exhibit this problem, but that's the theory.

:)

This is very true. In any two-way speaker design, if the crossover freq is in the critical midrange of the electric guitar, and often it is, then the design is critical.

But having a 10" woofer means nothing in regards to how good the crossover and HF driver are designed and implemented :)

A good 12" two-way speaker is better than a bad 10" two-speaker. (And again, 15" two-way designs are problematic in my experience.)

for a guy just looking to jam in has basement with an ax8 or axe 2, and do some basic recording, 12" or 10" seems like a bit of overkill. I was considering a pair of 6" or 8" Rokits or Yamahas. Is a 10" really going to sound that much better than an 8", or is it just a matter of volume?

for a guy just looking to jam in has basement with an ax8 or axe 2, and do some basic recording, 12" or 10" seems like a bit of overkill. I was considering a pair of 6" or 8" Rokits or Yamahas. Is a 10" really going to sound that much better than an 8", or is it just a matter of volume?

No it's not all about volume. It's about the quality of the speaker and somewhat independent of the woofer size.

I've used Equator D5's and Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 (made for PC speakers with THX certification) and both sounded really good for the $$ with the AxeFx.

I have KRK RP6 Rokits in my home studio, and I expect to use them for all my 'home' Ax8 purposes. But they are nowhere near loud enough for a jam with a drummer.

Live I will be using in-ears, and I do not really plan to invest in an FRFR speaker. We use a 2400W HK Audio Premium Pro PA in the band, and I plan to optimize my presets for that. We also have a 12" HK wedge that I can use in a pinch, if I suddenly need a real FRFR cab. Hopefully the HK wedge will sound somewhat similar to the HK PA.

I've got a QSC K12 and it's pretty good, but I've also got a couple EV ELX112P's, and to be honest, they sound nearly as good to me, for less than half the cost. I jammed with a drummer and bass player the other day with one and it sounded great, and hung in there volume-wise as well.
I have a ZLX-12P pair and they sound surprisingly good.

I have been using a pair of M-Audio Bx8a's from the oneset of using the Axe to practice with and they work fine, not the flatest or the greatest studio monitor one can buy but for a budget soultion they work.

Yup, that was my first thought too when that sound guy friend of mine was telling me that. what about all the 4x12 cabs out there for guitars? I always though 10s were reserved for bass cabs. Supposedly the difference comes with FRFR speakers as they behave differently than standard guitar cab speakers. Still remember that I am not saying that this is the word of God, just the information that was passed to me when I was trying to find out as much as I could about these kind of cabs. Take it for what you will.

It's all good man :) I knew you were just passing on info and I understand what your friend is trying to convey and the physics of it makes sense. There's just so much more to speaker design that comes into play that can make up the difference between a 10 and 12" driver.

I think the key thing to keep in mind is that most FRFR speakers will do the job as long as the basic design of the soultion is good as bahrcords pointed out. I have played through really good and really bad soultions over the years using driver sizes from 5" to 15".

"Most" of the prosumer stuff out there is just fine but when it comes to playing through a well designed monitor the differences between the two start to become obvious. So even though driver size is a foctor with respect to application I don't think it's the rule (Doc Emmitt Brown's speaker design aside Lol)

I have been using a pair of PreSonus Eris E5 they are good enough for my practice room, they also have a 8'' version (Eris E8).

I have the ERis 8, along with my FRFR power cab.

The ERIS 8 are connected to my sound card and the AXe FX to S/pdif. It runs really well and the sound through the ERIS8 is great for studio usage.

The Yamaha DXR10 you have is a very well regarded speaker for the $$$.

I'd hold off and see how your AX8 sounds with the DXR10 before making any moves.
Yes stick with DXR10 - that is a great unit and will get everything out of the Axe. Now you may consider going stereo at some point if you're into stereo effects (I'm not, personally)

Back
Top Bottom