Power protection: Furman PL-PLUS-DMC or P1800-PFR?

Hi all,

I've been reading about UPS, power conditioners etc... I currently have a setup with a pure sine wave APC UPS at home.

My Axe FX III is contained within a 3U rack, so I have space for a 1U device.

I'm going to be starting gigging and playing out and about more soon - originally I thought I would just take my APC UPS everywhere with me but now I'm thinking about containing everything within my rack.

I know the cheap rack conditioners are glorified power strips but I've seen alot of people have either the Furman PL-PLUS-DMC or the P1800-PFR.

Are these legit and do a good job? Anyone know the difference?

I've also seen alot of people saying the Axe FX III doesn't need this. Tbh I'd prefer to be safe than sorry and spend £300 to protect £3k+ equipment.

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Power protection, from what I understand, is more of a valid concern in the UK than in the States for the most part......

I use Furman, my axe 3 is next to computer and wifi and Comcast modem... it's all on the same desk, had a bad humming problem, I bought the furman and now there is no humming, just the awesome sound of my axe 3.

I have the Furman PL-PRO-DMC E. Had it for years since my TC G System days. Great piece of kit I think, especially if you are in the UK like me. I use it for a couple of reasons. It's great for power distribution if you have a few other rack devices instead of using wall warts or adaptors you can power them quite easily and it makes it look a little neater at the back of your rack.

I also use it just in case at some venues my band plays and there's a power surge or suddenly power cut. Or even if there's a noise limiter which is always a favourite of mine if the sound peaks and shuts off because we're too loud then my Axe III and all my other gear is protected. And the last thing it has a USB connector on the front panel, great for charging my phone. I agree better to be safe than sorry.

I have Furman PL-Pro DMC in my console with the Axe. I have used it for years and never had any issues; even with the glorious power outages in the summer here when it gets hot. Whether the Furman has anything to do with it, I'm not sure, but it can't hurt.

I've been using a Furman since 2009 with all my Axe FX Products. 2 years ago we were playing on a Mobile Stage, with a venue supplied Generator for power and there was a Power Surge. The Furman took the Electrical Surge snd saved my Rig... It literally toasted it, with smoke pouring out of it.... I had to leave it in the Garbage at the Venue it was a Smoky Toasted mess....
I now have the Furman PL-PLUS DMC 15A Power Conditioner with Voltmeter/Ammeter....

Last edited:
Following this. I’ve been using Furman’s for years and have had good results. I generally feel that power conditioning is worth the spend, and have it in my home theater as well. I’ve been considering getting the P-1800 AR, and running all my modest home studio through it, but it’s pretty speedy and I’m not sure the voltage regulation is going to make a big difference for the digital gear over the standard “PL” series units. I do use voltage regulation on my home theater gear and yeah, that’s digital mostly, but for some reason I’m hesitating for my studio stuff. I do have a Axe Fx III and FC6 arriving tomorrow, so i’m thinking about this again. Anyone using the AR units?

I'm typing this story for the umpteenth time, because I constantly read people saying power protection isn't needed in the US. For the most part, it is likely true, but I have always used a power conditioner for simplicity of connection in my rack (PL Pro DMC). One night, playing at a nice, well maintained Civic Center, someone managed to send 240 to the stage where 120 was supposed to be (explained it was something to do with a messed up power extension from the wall). My Furman, powering mine and the keyboard players rigs, shut down instantly. The other guitarist was not so lucky and his Mesa amp went up like a Spinal Tap drummer. A quick reset on my power panel and all was good for me. Fortunately everything else was on other circuits.

Roll the dice if you'd like, but it's cheap insurance when you're paid to make music, not excuses.

If that wasn't gruesome enough, the other guitarist had to finish the night on a Roland 15" keyboard amp. That ought to give you chills.

I have a PL-Pro-DMC in my rack and a Power Factor Pro on the floor for other stuff.

On 2 different outdoor gig occasions I've had a roadie plug an extension that ran up to the stage into the 220 on a large generator. The Furman saved things both times without any damage to my gear or the conditioner (just flipped switch back on after rectifying). Ya never know what can happen. Get some kind of good power protection.

Just venturing my opinion here, but I much prefer something rack mounted. What you have there is a combination unit that is primarily a backup power supply, with some basic power protection. That’s not a bad thing as I’ve had the power go out altogether much more often than I’ve had it go dangerously out of spec! I’m not sure of the quality of the components in the protection circuit, but would say it’s an upgrade from nothing. The Furman units (PL Pro DMC 20 Amp and AR-1215 for me) have proven themselves in real use for me, so I stay with them. The latter is no longer made, and I’ve not personally used the one that replaced it.

Thats why I wanted that one, as you said, the battery back up lets you at least safely shut down your units before losing power completely, and its a good amount ,m like 15 minutes of power for the unit and the computer etc....

But thanks and good luck with yours

I can see the case for surge protection and overvoltage protection, but I don’t see the need for battery backup. That’s just extra weight. If the venue power goes out, the show stops. There’s not much benefit to having battery power for the Axe that lets me keep it turned on, just so I can cause my own power outage by turning off the switch.

Its just so it doesnt shut down without proper termination...in this case a button, but for instance, a computer or amp,you dont want to pop or blow, so the battery just allows the user to shut down anything that needs a shutdown process....its useful, especially for computers

I use the cheapest furman they make (m-8?) and it works great but I'm in the US where it's a bit more consistent from venue to venue.

Rack mount power condition Furman PL-PLUS DMC. The pro model is good too, but for me overkill in the AXE rack.
I use these and they are perfect being 1U. Shop around and they can be had for a decent price.
APC SC450RM1U 280W/450VA 120V 1U Rackmount UPS System

This one is good too, I just like APC better:
CyberPower OR500LCDRM1U Smart App LCD UPS System, 500VA/300W, 6 Outlets, AVR, 1U Rackmount

Oh and the statement about not needing protection in the states. If you live in Tampa Bay, Florida, you need all the protection you can get.
We run Power conditioners on all amps, and rack mount UPS (battery backup) units on effects, mixing consoles, AXE FX, etc.

I can see the case for surge protection and overvoltage protection, but I don’t see the need for battery backup. That’s just extra weight. If the venue power goes out, the show stops. There’s not much benefit to having battery power for the Axe that lets me keep it turned on, just so I can cause my own power outage by turning off the switch.
A battery backup stops the unit from rebooting or powering down, during a performance, because of the infamous intermittent quick brownout, that is know to re-boot computers. We get lots of them here.

Back
Top Bottom