Power Conditioner/Ultra advice?

LMO said:
Found Cliff's post HERE in the archived forum.
FractalAudio wrote: said:
The power supply is auto-ranging and can handle just about any voltage you throw at it. A good conditioner is recommended for protection. A regulator is unnecessary.

Good find LMO My bad on the conditioner, I mistook it for a regulator not being needed, but hey after 2 years and 1500+ posts I can't remember everything :lol: .

My understanding of an auto-ranging power supply is that it can detect various ranges in which to run - in this case, likely 120V or 240V. The system switches a pair of caps at the input stage between parallel and series to accommodate these voltages, respectively. So really the AFX shouldn't run on any voltage, but 120V +/- a tolerance, and 240V +/- a tolerance. 172V, for example, is probably not a legitimate value.

Does Cliff or anyone else know what those tolerance values are? Just to know, from a multimeter check of the outlet you plug into, what an acceptable minimum is? Overvoltage is a lot less common I figure.

Some autoranging power supplies work over the entire range, as Cliff describes.

s0c9 said:
Well that pretty much sums it up doesn't it. I;ll stick my neck out here and state that I thought that's [essentially] what I was saying - in as many words, albeit not necessarily for the same reasons :)
That's right, just declare victory... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom