Power Amps

I first used the Axe FX with my 2:90 and my 4x12 recto cab. I thought it sounded amazing. I wanted something a bit lighter an quieter so I traded for a 20/20. For the record the 20/20 is LOUD AS HELL!!! I have since sold the 20/20 and my 4x12 recto cab and now use two Atomic wedges. If you don't use FRFR's IMO you are wasting a LOT of the Axe's potential. My two 50W atomic cabs are as loud as I need them to be.

The cabinet models on the Axe are a HUGE part of the sound. Go FRFR and you won't loom back!!!

shotgunn

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Last edited:
I had the mesa 2:90, a real tank! It had lots and lots of headroom and the voice modes were really cool. The deep extend and modern together sounded wicked thru a 4X12 mesa Road King cab. But it was a lot of 'color' that i loved for some things then not so much for most of the other sounds the Axe is able to produce. I've since sold all my cabs and the 2:90 and getting my atomic wedge today/tmw; and my atomic 50/50 is enroute!

I had been using the loop of my PWE Event Horizon. All my patches were EQ'd around that... I bought a 2:90 so I could sell the PWE... but I'm finding that the patches now all sound to bassy. I tweaked the global EQ to reduce the bass and actually add some upper mids, and that helped on some patches but not all ... I'm afraid I may have to go through and just adjust all the EQs again, grr!

I was really surprised at how different my patches sounded with the 2:90!

I need to get together with Hippietim because i think he has some other SS and tube power amp options.

The Boogie 2:90 sounds absolutely fantastic with the Axe-FX II.
I miss my boogie 2:90; strangely enough i was going thru the axe wiki and came across the tip on recreating the deep extend mode of the 2:90 by using the filter block. high pass filter and setting the envelope parameters...it sounded just like my old boogie! I'm now using my atomic 50/50 and passive wedge.

I first used the Axe FX with my 2:90 and my 4x12 recto cab. I thought it sounded amazing. I wanted something a bit lighter an quieter so I traded for a 20/20. For the record the 20/20 is LOUD AS HELL!!! I have since sold the 20/20 and my 4x12 recto cab and now use two Atomic wedges. If you don't use FRFR's IMO you are wasting a LOT of the Axe's potential. My two 50W atomic cabs are as loud as I need them to be.

The cabinet models on the Axe are a HUGE part of the sound. Go FRFR and you won't loom back!!!

shotgunn

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Meh..........I own 2 Atomics and prefer my Randall RT 2/50 tube power amp>ISP Sub>2 G-flex cab rig much more.....

Back
Top Bottom