Power Amps

JimG

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at purchasing the Axe-Fx II. I would like some feedback from you on what you have done for a power amp. I have cabinets now, and I am trying to figure out the power amp part of the equation. You know the usual...tube or solid state, brands and such. Thanks in advance. JimG

There is a whole forum section dedicated to this discussion under Amps and Cabs. You should find everything you need to know there :)

Reactions: jon
Here's what it comes down to:

Tube:
Atomic 50/50 - $900
Fryette VHT 2/50/2 - ~$1300

Solid State
Matrix GT800FX - $699
ART SLA-2 - $299

If you've got the money it's between the Atomic or the GT800FX. I have a Carvin DCM200L which isn't the most powerful, but it gets the job done since I send an XLR signal to FOH.

Here's what it comes down to:

Tube:
Atomic 50/50 - $900
Fryette VHT 2/50/2 - ~$1300

Solid State
Matrix GT800FX - $699
ART SLA-2 - $299

If you've got the money it's between the Atomic or the GT800FX. I have a Carvin DCM200L which isn't the most powerful, but it gets the job done since I send an XLR signal to FOH.

Don't forget about the Rocktron Velocity 300. I've heard good things about it and it sells for around $350.

from my experience:

SS type -> MATRIX GT800FX

Tube tybe -> Fryette 2/90/2 Stereo Power Amp

these are the only options! :)

I had the 2/90/2, now prefer the Matrix. But if I ever go back to tubes, I may get the Carvin TS100. Same specs as the Atomic plus bridgeable to 100 watts.

There ARE those who don't use them - amps that is. I go to FOH from OUT1 and to Atomic FRFR cab (for stage monitoring) from OUT2.
Simple, light and easy to setup.

Reactions: jon
I go direct too but I use 412 marshall cab with V30's and the direct out is way superior to micing a cab in a live setting because the local venues just use their board preamps nothing special and the mic is usually tossed up there no time to get a sweet spot. However i use Art SLA 2 and I been kicking around the idea of upgrading to either to the Matrix, Atomic or TS100 not sure what way to go. I dont want anything that will color the tone but some more oomph or punch thant the ART. I have my rig in a rack on wheels so weight is not an issue with going tube.

From experience, having used an Art SLA, a VHT 2/50/2 and a Matrix Gt809FX - The latter two are very close. The VHT possibly has the edge for certain tones, while the GT has the edge for others (its tighter in the lows and better definition against the VHTs more squishyness and easier harmonic generation). i settled for the Matrix (even though i already had the VHT) because of weight and size.

Cant get the Carvins in the UK (at least easily) - and i do have a hankering to try the Atomic which is lighter than the VHT (though still 2u and a lot heavier than the Matrix), but the cost might prevent that - at least for now.

Anyone using Mesa Boogie 50/50 or Simul Class 2:90 Power Amps

I noticed I didn't see any responses from anyone using Mesa Boogie amps. If anyone out there is using Boogie Power Amps with the Axe, I'd like your input (or is that output).

I noticed I didn't see any responses from anyone using Mesa Boogie amps. If anyone out there is using Boogie Power Amps with the Axe, I'd like your input (or is that output).

I'm using a Mesa 50/50 with a Mesa 3/4 1x12 and also a Mesa wide body closed back 1x2. I've tried SS power amps with traditional cabs (Art, Carvin, Alesis) but I always like the sound better when running through the power section of a tube amp. I got an older 50/50 fairly cheap and I am very happy with the results. It's just what I expected to hear. IMO a FRFR setup benefits from a SS power amp where a traditional amp/cab sounds better with a tube power section.

IMHO, YMMV, etc...

I used a Mesa 295 into 2 4x12s. I bought the Matrix for weight reasons. I ended up liking the tone of the matrix better.

What fredster said... I've had a Mesa 50/50 for 10-12 years, and I also have the 3/4 cab w/ a Black Shadow speaker, but my main cab is a Crate V30 1x12 which seems to cut thru the mix better. I use the Mesa cab as a 2nd when I run a bigger rig. Anyway, the 50/50 works real well for me, seems to have just a touch of poweramp breakup when I want it, never had any issues w/ it. The only thing I don't like is the weight... it's not too heavy but by the time it's in a rack w/ other gear, I start to wish I had a roadie ;-)

@mmcm4: have you tried running the Carvin into regular cabs? I've been interested in the DCM, and also the Matrix, to save weight. But only if I like the sound. Gotta love the price of the Carvin, plus at 60-100 watts per channel it won't overload my cabs like I'm afraid the Matrix might.

I might just have to upgrade to the Matrix if its that much better then the ART. I am thinking going to anything with tubes might make me start obsessing about trying different tubes and bias checking them all the time like I did with tube amp heads.

The Mesa 50/50 was one of several amps I tried before I settled on the Carvin DCM-1540L. For me the 50/50 was to hot, to heavy, & to dirty. Basically the opposite of the Carvin.

well, before I got my Fryette 2902 I tried a lot of other tube amps including Mesa 2:90, Mesa 50:50, Peavey Classic 50, Mesa 2:20 and Marshall 100 per side. I liked Mesas until I found Fryette. As for the tube amp I'm set - huge headroom, great bottom, big punch. As for the SS amp - I'm set with Matrix GT800FX and I'm happy with it - clear as glass and great headroom with lots of power :)

I think the general question these days is what are you looking for?
1) tube amp?
2) ss amp?
3) FRFR?

I had the mesa 2:90, a real tank! It had lots and lots of headroom and the voice modes were really cool. The deep extend and modern together sounded wicked thru a 4X12 mesa Road King cab. But it was a lot of 'color' that i loved for some things then not so much for most of the other sounds the Axe is able to produce. I've since sold all my cabs and the 2:90 and getting my atomic wedge today/tmw; and my atomic 50/50 is enroute!

Back
Top Bottom