Power Amp Modeling with SS Power Amp + Direct FOH Setup

Haha we absolutely have! We played the Van Buren in 2019 with Veil of Maya and Intervals and then at Crescent Ballroom in 2021 with Intervals / Thank You Scientist / Satyr. Any chance you were at one of those shows? (also thanks for the input here)
Ha! I was at both of those shows. I'll be at the Intervals show Monday as well (Intervals supporting Spiritbox at the Van Buren). Very cool. I like your music!

Speaking of Intervals, I'm not sure what amp Aaron is using right now but his sound is on point. He went to NDSP for a while there but is back to Fractal. My guess is he's using the same PS700 he was using with the QC rig (and maybe with the Fractal rig he used before that?). @Cooper Carter might be able to shed some light. He did a video with Aaron recently.

If you do end up with the 700, I definitely think you'll be good just leaving power amp modeling on. It sounds great that way through the PS700 and a pair of cabs. If you want to hear some more from other folks using the Duncan power amps, you might also search and/or post over in the "amps and cabs" section. 👍

Last edited:
Small world! That’s awesome haha. The Spiritbox show should be great. Next time we’re in Phoenix please be sure to say hi.

As for Aaron, he is definitely back on Fractal and last time I checked he’s using still a PS700 which is where I got the idea. He is actually the reason I switched to using a Fractal at all after we had an hour long FaceTime call about all its benefits! I’ve been meaning to reach out to him about this topic too because no detail gets by that guy.

Thanks for the help! I’ll consider this one solved pending me getting my hands on a PS700 sometime soon.

I'm actually going through all this at the moment with cabs using the FM9. I bought a 2nd hand Powerstage 200 from a guitar shop over here in the UK. They accidentally sent me the 170 which I'm gonna return next week for the 200.

I did try the 170 with my Boogie 1x12 wide body cab as I was curious. It has a Celestion C90 in it and sounds pretty good so far. Definitely loud enough lol. I'm used to using my Mission Gemini 2 which is awesome but I just wanted to try a guitar cab again and have a backup if needed.

I have a Victory vertical 2x12 on the way too, which is being rewired in parallel and has v30's in it. It's gonna be interesting to see how that sounds compared to the Boogie cab. Usually the Victory stuff is wired in series at 16 ohms and wouldn't have enough headroom so I'm getting it rewired in parallel to get a little more out of it. Not that I'll need turn it up that much.

I'm actually going through all this at the moment with cabs using the FM9. I bought a 2nd hand Powerstage 200 from a guitar shop over here in the UK. They accidentally sent me the 170 which I'm gonna return next week for the 200.

I did try the 170 with my Boogie 1x12 wide body cab as I was curious. It has a Celestion C90 in it and sounds pretty good so far. Definitely loud enough lol. I'm used to using my Mission Gemini 2 which is awesome but I just wanted to try a guitar cab again and have a backup if needed.

I have a Victory vertical 2x12 on the way too, which is being rewired in parallel and has v30's in it. It's gonna be interesting to see how that sounds compared to the Boogie cab. Usually the Victory stuff is wired in series at 16 ohms and wouldn't have enough headroom so I'm getting it rewired in parallel to get a little more out of it. Not that I'll need turn it up that much.
A cab at 4 ohms is the sweet spot for most class D modules... as in, you will get the usable 200W from that amp.

@teof Yes, it should be fine to use the PS 170 with a 90 watt rated cab. In fact, you could even stand to have more power. It is often recommended to use a solid state amp that puts out 2x the wattage of your speakers rating to ensure that you have sufficient clean headroom to prevent clipping the amp. Clipping the output of a solid state amp can cause speaker failure. The idea is that an over rated amp will become unbearably loud before you are anywhere near blowing the speaker or clipping the amp.

@teof Yes, it should be fine to use the PS 170 with a 90 watt rated cab. In fact, you could even stand to have more power. It is often recommended to use a solid state amp that puts out 2x the wattage of your speakers rating to ensure that you have sufficient clean headroom to prevent clipping the amp. Clipping the output of a solid state amp can cause speaker failure. The idea is that an over rated amp will become unbearably loud before you are anywhere near blowing the speaker or clipping the amp.
Thanks much. Say if I'm using a Matrix gt800fx into 1x12 90W, would that still be safe? I read something abt running it through bridge mode?

Thanks much. Say if I'm using a Matrix gt800fx into 1x12 90W, would that still be safe? I read something abt running it through bridge mode
That will work no problem. I used to run my GT1000FX through my Boogie 1x12 widebody with no issues. Never tried bridged mode though. I did find the tech specs for the 800 on the Matrix website and it looks like it will do 800 watts in bridged mode so probably a little too much for your 90w speaker lol.Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 11.54.56.png

@teof The GT800FX is a really good power amp and is an excellent choice. I don't see any reason why you would need to run it in bridge mono mode since it puts out 250W per channel which is already more than 2x the power handling of your 90W cab. That said, so long as you start with the input gain of the amp set to minimum and then increase it incrementally until you reach your desired volume it should not be a problem to run an 800W amp into an 90W speaker. Obviously, if you turn the gain on the 800W amp all the way up and then blast a signal into your 90W cab you will blow the speaker in only a few seconds. Don't do that. If you do choose to use the amp in bridge mono configuration you will likely have a pretty limited usable range of the travel on the gain control so that is something to consider as well.

Back
Top Bottom