Power amp modeling off with studio monitors!!

pjrs78

Recently i discover that i prefer listening to the majority of my presets with power amp modeling off! And some of them (less than poweramp modelind) with cabinet bypassed

Is this weird? It feels more real and the sound its more presente, much like a real amp. The only thing bad is it clips alot more

I can record something if you guys like to ear the differences

What are your thoughts about this, i really like to ear them

PS: My English sucks, i´m portuguese

If you're trying to make your guitar sound like an acoustic and you're using a very clean amp and a ton of reverb, I could see where you might be coming from.

For basically any other reason, I'd like to hear clips of the kinds of sounds you're getting.

This is more an indictment of the monitors IMO. If you can afford an Axe-Fx you can afford some good monitors.

hate to come off like a jerk, but it makes me wonder what your real amp experiences are, because it can't be anything good...

hate to come off like a jerk, but it makes me wonder what your real amp experiences are, because it can't be anything good...

I have a Marshall jcm 900, mesa boogie lone star and line 6 dt25. I have a friend that owns a two rock and i've played with it many times.... don't know if that's good enough for you

Gawd, I'm AWFUL curious.

Here it is

https://soundcloud.com/paulo-silva-267/plexinormal-off

https://soundcloud.com/paulo-silva-267/plexinormal-on

Please tell me which one do you prefer? and why...

I play mostly clean i should say... played random notes using plexi normal factory preset, didn't chance a thing besides input trim (i use the same level on both clips), and i've turned the compressor on. First clip, poweramp modeling off... second clip, on

record it to ableton live 9, exported direct to soundcloud

If YOU like it, then its the best

Doesn't really matter what a bunch of people on a forum say, they didn't pay for your Axe, so you can use it however you please, and they can use their however they please

Simple as that

You are very right!

I think it isn't so much the power amp modeling on/off, but your comment that sometimes you bypass cabinet modeling that people consider weird. Given the type of tone and playing, I can see where the amp modeling on/off would give a different flavor, but not cab sims unless you're doing the ultra clean Nile Rodgers thing. Were either of those clips without cabinet simulations?

I think it isn't so much the power amp modeling on/off, but your comment that sometimes you bypass cabinet modeling that people consider weird. Given the type of tone and playing, I can see where the amp modeling on/off would give a different flavor, but not cab sims unless you're doing the ultra clean Nile Rodgers thing. Were either of those clips without cabinet simulations?

No, cabinet modeling active on both clips. I said that i was using cab sims off in a few presets (maybe 2 or 3) and yes all of them are clean sounds, i should had made that clear

Actually on a few presets I run a line from the amp and blend back in after the cabs. I use this for our scorpions cover of The Zoo and it really helps nail their live tone. I also use it for ACDC as it helps again with bringing a tone match into a usable live tone.

The key for me is blending it in with the cabs just enough that it doesn't stand out.

The end result is all that matters.

I like the power amp modeling off clip, but sounds like the compressor could be adjusted to be a little less aggressive. JMHO

The Power Amp On (at least to me) sounds like a Plexi (clean, slightly hollow, but with a little grit), but Power Amp off sounds like a generic, non-distinct clean amp.

And I can afford an Axe-FX and good monitors . . . but just barely.

Back
Top Bottom