Posted as just FYI: Rhett Shull's best of 2019

Larry Kehl

Inspired
Turns out FAS loaned Rhett an FX III, I was wondering when he or Rick Beato or a few others would get around to it, and he placed the it at the number 2 slot in his top ten list for best gear of 2019 (yea that's a year behind - but that's OK) at around 12:50 and it's a clearly 30K' view and presented as FYI ONLY

Again provided as FYI only , we already know it's a great box " we don't need no stickin' badges" :p

The Strymon Iridium. :persevere:

Ummm... so...
A couple of amp models instead of the Axe 3? Ok Rhett...

The Iridium is a great piece of gear for someone like Rhett who has a big pedalboard investment and uses real amps preferentially. I can see why he called it #1....for him.

It’s still noteworthy that the III made #2 and he hasn’t even really scratched the surface of it, by his own admission. He’s a modeling fan. Likes the Helix and Kemper, even if he did call the Kemper outdated.

Regardless, I don’t need Rhett to tell me the III is great. I do look forward to his videos on it. He’s a great player and seems like a nice guy. And he’s a working pro. Will be good to hear the perspectives of someone that isn’t a hobbyist.

What @Karl Houseknecht said, plus...

There is a LOT bigger market for guitarists wanting a few core amps (a.k.a. the Iridiuim) to use on an existing pedal board than those wanting to replace everything with a rack of gear... then realizing they need to add their favorite pedals anyway. Let's face it, there are a ton of pedals that the AxeFX can't replicate. I mean, how could it? There are just too many pedals out there.

IOW, the Iridium is not for guitarists that want an AxeFX, it's for guitarists that don't.

Guess Rhett likes his AXE III. Go to 4:25 and have a listen.

He's a big Line 6 advocate for touring musicians and I get his reasoning. A touring musician needs access to replacements if something breaks. He's mentioned more than once that the beauty of something like a Helix or Stomp is that a replacement is no further away than the nearest Guitar Center. But you see what he uses in the studio:

Back
Top Bottom