Post Your Rig!

Not everything is there, but a preferable selection...pic taken at the studio.
I dont use the ENGL head, only the 4x12.

290rig2_zps6f0d01cb.jpg

CarvinII2_zps78b9aa97.jpg

The 2:90 was lately replaced with a lil Carvin, sounds good and weight nothing….
My back is happy.

If you don't use the ENGL, why have it? Backup?

I'm surprised that the smallest Carvin had the balls to replace that Mesa!

The ENGL head is in the studio, just in case I fill like heaving pure evil.... :)
The Carvin cannot compete with the brut Mesa, I used (still have it @ home) the Mesa in the studio at 40-50% top with the Axe volume at around 30%.
With the Carvin and a VERY loud drummer I run it 80-90% and the Axe at the 80% more or less as well, and overall volume is fine.
Last night we had our fixed drummer (he isn’t too laud) and I run the Carvin 80% and the Axe 50%, stereo on the 4x12.
Its sounds VERY good and yea, it got the balls alright, it's not the mojo of the 2:90 but it sure ain't falling too far behind and talking about weight well…..no doubts.
Maybe if I had a gig in a big venue and I had to feed 2 cabs 4x12"…well, maybe than I would have used the 2:90 but I don’t do gigs that size, not yet anyway…..

It's not a matter of better results, it's just a way we are use to rehears (cab and not direct).
I used to go direct with my HD500 I had, overall sound was very good and so it can be with the Axe but @ the end of the day I prefer the fill of a 4x12 barking my back

True, if I was doing a live recording or rehearsal I would never go direct. Even big, loud FRFR speakers don't do it for me. Maybe a nice coaxial rig would.

Ok... you like my comment. So, why do this rig?

The Fractal is amazing, but each piece of gear imparts it's own unique colorization to the sound. And in my case, since I am not a professional touring musician, or a hired gun that is flying around with a gig bag over his shoulder, and his Fractal in a carry-on, I was not restricted to making my rack small or concise. I was able to have my cake and eat it too.

If I have a really awesome Fractal preset working, and I just want a little more pixy dust on it, I don't have to touch the Axe preset - I can just add a little Strymon, or whatever, while I'm playing a song, with an instant access button. If I have a decent overdrive sound already happening, and I just want a little more hair on it, I can throw in my BB Plus for a solo.

It's all about options.

It's also about the order of where the effects fall in the signal chain. I tend to build Axe presets with the delays before the overdrives, because I have more delay options in my effects loop with those other pieces of gear. If I engage a Fractal delay, I will get the fizz from the overdrives or amp sim, mixed in with the delay. This is sometime exactly the sound I need for a certain vibe. I can also engage an overdrive in the Line6 which is almost at the very end of my signal chain, and this of course, sounds completely different because of where it is in the signal path.

Yes, I could have 150 Axe Fx presets, with various signal chain configurations, or I could have 5-10 really great ones, and throw on another piece of gear to personalize the sound to fit a different song, or a different moment/vibe. This makes programming much easier on me from week to week. I have a signal chain with 2 amps that are tied to a modifier to mute one or the other. This gives me 4 amps and 4 cabs to choose from inside one preset. The preset also has delays, chorus, and reverbs. I can copy this preset to the next program in the Axe, change the amps and cabs to fit the song, change the tempo, name the preset and be done. If my Axe preset has chorus in it, but I also need a phaser for a song, sure, I could make a different Axe preset, and have both within the Axe, but instead of doing that, I just pull out the Line6 M13 tray, and engage a phaser there (which I then tie to MIDI triggering). They are both simulations and they are both believable, especially at 105 db, where I am just part of a wall of sound anyways. No one is going to charge the stage with a flashlight and see which vintage phaser I am hiding in my rack or on my pedalboard...LOL.

It just works for me to have all of those options, and have little or no concern about portability, inefficiency, or redundancy. I guess you could say, I'm that guy at Wal-mart with the F-350, that is there picking up dog food, not pulling a horse trailer or car transport, but it just works for me. Hahaha.

You should also know that I am about to transfer everything to a 16-space rack and add a rack drawer so I can keep all my cables, tools, strings, etc inside the rack so that it always makes it to the venue, and a Power Conditioner of some kind. I haven't "needed" a power conditioner as of yet, because I plug into isolated circuits that a pure and protected. But, I, of course, want the added protection for times that I am not plugged into those circuits.

Rest assured, if KISS calls me and needs me in Europe tomorrow to fill in for Ace/Tommy...I will yank the Fractal out of the rack and put it in my suitcase though, in a heartbeat - it is the main workhorse of the system, and I do keep non-effects loop presets on standby, in case I have any massive gear failure of the other rack components you see in the video. The only failure that would take me out totally, is the Fractal itself...and secondly my Liquid Foot. If that ain't working right, ain't nothing happening that day. As overkill as this baby already is, I don't have the stomach right now to add a second Fractal to it, as a backup....hmm...or...do...I????

Thanks

My Pre-Axe things. I used to have some gear but too bad I never bothered to learn how to play.
pino.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

Love the tone coloration of my amp!
I´m The Valve endorser for years
Is a 3/100 modded for me by Galeazzo Frudua
Awesome amp !
and works PERFECT with the axe.... well..I need the axe mod for 4cm for using his preamp too...

The Fender cabs are loaded with EV.

View attachment 14928

Love the tone coloration of my amp!
I´m The Valve endorser for years
Is a 3/100 modded for me by Galeazzo Frudua
Awesome amp !
and works PERFECT with the axe.... well..I need the axe mod for 4cm for using his preamp too...

The Fender cabs are loaded with EV.

Isn't it tiring having to go back and forth from one end of your pedalboard to the other? :lol

All cool different ways to go. For me I need no pic.. AFX II,(FOH) IEM & Guitar.........First up to warm up and First off to green room for "BEVERAGES." Thank you fractal, thank you my back and sorry tech.."YOUR FIRED." lol

JLP

First photo of my AXE-Rack

I have had my AXE as a part of my PA rack for some time. Due to some gigs in the near future, I have put it in a smaller rack together with my 2 wireless Microphones, line 6 G90, (front pic) Wirelss for sax, inear monitor, and a couple of guitarpedals in an Axxess Electronic switcher(rear pic). Guitar and wireless sax is also switched via the Axxess electronic. Using the AXE also for effects on my soprano and tenor sax(Great BTW)

So after a couple of days planning, soldering etc here is the final result.

Now I just need a couple of days work on my main PA-rack, and I will be ready for the gigs in the week-end.

After that bring on Ver. 10

Attachments

• Front-pic.JPG
    Front-pic.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 238
  • Rear-pic.JPG
    Rear-pic.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 189
no pics
My rack is integrated into the living room, all hidden behind a poster and books.
It is a computer with midi controller keyboard, Guitar-to-MIDI Controller, Axe Fx II and XITE.
XITE and Axe are connected analog in/out and AES/EBU in/out.
So any device from XITE, like John Bowen's Solaris, can use the Axe's send/return FX.
Or any guitar from Axe can use the Wave-Osc's and/or filters inside the XITE.
Of course, a guitar with midi output, like a Godin LGX, can use the XITE Midi-In parallel
to the Axe. All to do inside the XITE is routing the output of the Midi-In to the synth/filter whatever combo
into the mixer and routing AES/EBU-In into the next free channels of the same mixer.
Or you do separate mixing, a "valve" mixer for the synth into the "definite output mixer".
Or you route into a rotor device for getting a rotating 5.1 output.
The missing 2 more channels you could built up as a Modular device.
Please: I cannot explain all that in detail.
Modular is a very mighty tool. Inside is everything you need to built up sounds.
OSCs, Filters, LFOs, ADSRs, effects. OSCs can be WAVs or Wavetables, like the ones from Prophet VS and Waldorf.

If you look for crazyness in building up sound: XITE plus Axe-Fx is the way to go. IMHO.
And, btw., inside, the processors...
If the Axe III learns how to wordclock and how to change Sample rate the duo will match just perfect.

You can expand your rack to a portable studio environment.
Not much to add: Laptop, Guitar-to-MIDI Controller and XITE. A midi controller like Mackie control makes sense.
You expand your Train, the one containing all the Amps and Cabs, with some dozen Synths (ARP, Moog, Prophet etc.) plus
Mixer consoles from simple ones up to 48/96 with or without valves, 2 inserts per channel, 2 for main.
And, of course, some additional bread&butter stuff like reverbs etc. pp., you must have something for the inserts, isn't it?

You maybe understand, the community at PlanetZ is comparable to that one here.
Have a look into Devices and Modular Patches.
This is where the Cab/IR and Preset section is.
For XITE you need devices and modular patches. And there are some really fantastic ones.
Reference? Oscar for Sound in Gladiator.
XITE is good, yes.

Forum:
Planet Z • Index page
Modular:
Home
Made by:
Sonic Core

Have fun!
Micha

What are the pedals in the back of your rack?

I have had my AXE as a part of my PA rack for some time. Due to some gigs in the near future, I have put it in a smaller rack together with my 2 wireless Microphones, line 6 G90, (front pic) Wirelss for sax, inear monitor, and a couple of guitarpedals in an Axxess Electronic switcher(rear pic). Guitar and wireless sax is also switched via the Axxess electronic. Using the AXE also for effects on my soprano and tenor sax(Great BTW)

So after a couple of days planning, soldering etc here is the final result.

Now I just need a couple of days work on my main PA-rack, and I will be ready for the gigs in the week-end.

After that bring on Ver. 10

Back
Top Bottom