Post Your Noise Reduction Tricks

axel

Power User
Just wanted to get some discussion going on what others find is the most effective approach to eliminating noise, while retaining picking sensitivity and sustain. I can never seem to find the right balance.

I posted something not too long ago in regards to asking the same question... I find myself turning up the noise gate ratios as I turn up my output volume... I think I might be doing this wrong myself..

I went from using the gate on the input to using one after the amp block, but now I've decided to do more experimenting.

Are you guys using the GTE after your noise offenders with the main input side chained in as the detector? That's the typical pro way to really quash the noise. I haven't tried it but it looks like all the tools are there. I'll go try right now. There use to not be a GTE block in the old days. Without searching the forum I'm guessing it got added so you could benefit from directing its placement in the signal chain (i.e. before delay tails).

this whole thing really depends on how you define "noise."

if you are trying to control high gain feedback and set your gate to silence it, you may be in trouble if the feedback is the same volume as any note you want to play.

for me, i only use it to silence the noise when i'm not playing the guitar, the increase of the noise floor that a high gain amp produces. that's it! so my gate is usually set around -75dB or less.

Yeah, I just tried it and that recipe is badass. Assuming your setup is guitar into front jack and you're doing everything in the AxeFx (no external amps), place the GTE block after your noise offenders. On page 2 of the GTE block choose Input 1 as the side chain selection. Tweak threshold and ratio on page 1 to taste. Enjoy the silence!

Brad

Yeah, I just tried it and that recipe is badass. Assuming your setup is guitar into front jack and you're doing everything in the AxeFx (no external amps), place the GTE block after your noise offenders. On page 2 of the GTE block choose Input 1 as the side chain selection. Tweak threshold and ratio on page 1 to taste. Enjoy the silence!

Brad

Thanks for this tip! Works WAY better then the default gate setup.

Dave

sorry to hijack this thread but i need some help with my noise issues please! i run a very simple rig (axe fx 2, matrix gt1000fx, 4x12 cabinet) i also have a few fx pedals running in the loop of the axe fx and couple running infront of the axe fx.

i notice that when i enable the FX LOOP block in my patches the noise (hiss) increases and overall volume decreases. i have been using a GATE block straight after the FX LOOP block to combat the noise and i have just boosted the level of my patches to compensate for the volume drop.

you can see my patch setup in the screenshots attatched. im sure its because i have it "routed" wrong. maybe i should have the fx loop in a different place?

really appreciate your help!! :) thanks

fxloop2.jpgfxloop1.jpg

ear_plug.JPG

If your pickups are too low it will result in a poor signal/noise ratio. If your pickups are too high the magnetic pull will affect the vibration of the string, reducing sustain (this effect can be significant). Take off a string and measure the distance required for magnetic pull from your pickups to affect it. Raise/lower your pickups so that they sit slightly below this threshold, taking into account the distance they may move while being played. The end result is good sustain and low noise!

Are you guys using the GTE after your noise offenders with the main input side chained in as the detector? That's the typical pro way to really quash the noise. I haven't tried it but it looks like all the tools are there. I'll go try right now. There use to not be a GTE block in the old days. Without searching the forum I'm guessing it got added so you could benefit from directing its placement in the signal chain (i.e. before delay tails).

All the noise offenders are before the grid in the Axe-fx. It is one thing that is different from real world analog devices. The blocks, even the amp and drive blocks, do not add noise. They can just amplify it.
If you put a noise gate as your first block or simply remove a shunt before the amp or drive block, you can turn it to the most extreme settings and not get any noise or hiss.
Since it is usually best to address the noise closest to it source (ideally at its source) using the built in noise gate, block level noise gate as the first block or have its side chain set to input1 for best results (generally). Since the amp and drive blocks are not adding noise, it is easier and requires less extreme settings to cut the noise before it get amplified by the amp and cab blocks.

Cliff has also stated, I do not recall the reason, that it might be slightly better to have it in front of the amp regardless of side chaining

BTW the GTE has been there since at least firmware version 3 of the last generation of the ultra

i notice that when i enable the FX LOOP block in my patches the noise (hiss) increases and overall volume decreases. i have been using a GATE block straight after the FX LOOP block to combat the noise and i have just boosted the level of my patches to compensate for the volume drop.

It's probably the Output 2 issue...You need to get Fractal or G66 to modify that output.

I'm using a combination of some slight gating on the input gate and a GTE block as the first block in the grid with decent results... I still get a slight amount of "stutter" at times, but I'm also not getting notes to cut off early.. There's always a compromise with gates and you just learn to adjust your playing to make the most out of it IMO.

All the noise offenders are before the grid in the Axe-fx. It is one thing that is different from real world analog devices. The blocks, even the amp and drive blocks, do not add noise. They can just amplify it.
If you put a noise gate as your first block or simply remove a shunt before the amp or drive block, you can turn it to the most extreme settings and not get any noise or hiss.
Since it is usually best to address the noise closest to it source (ideally at its source) using the built in noise gate, block level noise gate as the first block or have its side chain set to input1 for best results (generally). Since the amp and drive blocks are not adding noise, it is easier and requires less extreme settings to cut the noise before it get amplified by the amp and cab blocks.

Cliff has also stated, I do not recall the reason, that it might be slightly better to have it in front of the amp regardless of side chaining

BTW the GTE has been there since at least firmware version 3 of the last generation of the ultra

Fascinating insight Sean. Wish I had experimented before I posted. Many things from the analog world translate, but there are definitely a few game changers when working "in-the-box". Explains why I've always been satisfied with that gate on the front end and never really played with the GTE block. I imagine the GTE block would have utility for people using the effects loop. GTE may have been around a long time, but we've been around longer. Early adopters, LOL!

Would like to hear Cliff's comments on assigning a modifier to the gate threshold parameter. One function of a former modeler I owned, was being able to control the gate threshold via the guitar input level. This allowed you to virtually turn off the gate completely when rolling the guitar volume back or picking very lightly. As you turned the guitar volume up, or picked harder, the gate would start coming into the equation. Maybe this capability already exists in the Axe II, if it does I haven't found it. I have done something similar using a modifier on the amp drive, but this behaves more like altering the dynamics (which is nice also).

Hi everyone, I had the privilege of chatting with M@tt about this topic after Dweezilla 2012 and wrote some notes down with the intent we'd eventually post these Tips & Tricks to the forum. So, here ya go. Matt may clarify or amplify, since he has not edited these. Yek may want to add to Wiki as well if worthwhile.

-----

Using the Noise Gate -- Matt's Tips & Tricks

There are three basic approaches to using the noise gate, depending on what type of music or effect you are pursuing. Remember that the noise gate is “intelligent” and uses technology to detect and assess incoming signals and signal decay. A good starting point is a Ratio setting around 2.00 (compared to Factory standard of 1.00)

Approach #1: The Basic, Gentle Noise Gate to Control Noise/Silence -- Setting it Up

Grab your hottest, loudest output guitar. Start with Ratio at 2.00, all other noise gate settings at factory default.

Then slowly turn the “Threshold” control UP until any noise is gone. Then play and check when you hold a note or chord. Check -- does the decay “feel” right? Adjust up or down.

If you want a more gradual noise gate, just increase the Release. Keep checking to make sure the decay is “gradual” rather than abrupt.

If you need a sudden attack on the noise gate, reduce the Attack value to 1 ms.

Approach #2: Noise Gate as a Dramatic Effect

Some artists like a dramatic “burst” of noise that can disappear just as fast. Metal players like this for riffing for example. To get that dramatic effect, turn the Ratio control up to 4 or even 8. Shorten the Attack from factory default, which you gives you more of a “burst” of sound. Then shorten the Release time to get a more dramatic “chop” at the end of what you play. Finally, use the Threshold to dial in the sweet spot, when you are NOT playing.

Approach #3: Subtle Noise Reduction

This approach is just to ease the volume of hiss, but still leaves a trace of it. Use factory settings to start, then reduce Ratio to zero, then bring it up slowly to 1.2, or 1.3. Second, set the release very slow in milliseconds.

So those are three ways to approach the powerful AXE II noise gate -- whether to eliminate noise, or use it make chords punchy and choppy (palm muting for example), or reduce the background noise of amp hiss.

Back when I was a "pedals" guy, I used to loop my overdrive and compression pedals through a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. It worked great at pulling out buzz and hiss without affecting note decay. Not sure how it worked, but it was different from an ordinary noise gate. I generally use the gate block after noisy blocks now, but I miss that more "surgical" noise-reduction effect. . .

Back
Top Bottom