Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

Been working on my Axe III looping rig for the past few weeks - inspired by @Joe Bfstplk OG dual fc6 rig (huge thanks for the temples) - it’s all based around iOS and an app called Loopy Pro, using a focusrite 18i20 (spdif I/O with the Axe)

Loopy is a multitrack looping app that also hosts auv3 fx/instruments and allows you to build control surfaces that can interact with software and hardware midi.

Too much for a single post (I’ll be sharing more) - but the Axe handles my guitar tones as well as tone shaping/fx for bass/synth/keys/vox/whatever each with their own presets/scenes (selectable on multiple midi controllers via Loopy Pro and PC mapping)

The Nektar Pacer is connected to iOS via USB and the AXE through midi (I control Loopy with it as well) and using a midi mixer, I've added a CME WIDI Jack so the Axe can be controlled by the Pacer and FracPad on another device. The Pacer is being used for 8 midi external control switches (can can add another couple expression pedals) and preset/scene selection

I've been in it deep rofl

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Attachments

• IMG_8654.jpeg
    IMG_8654.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8659.jpeg
    IMG_8659.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_8658.jpeg
    IMG_8658.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Been working on my Axe III looping rig for the past few weeks - inspired by @Joe Bfstplk OG dual fc6 rig (huge thanks for the temples) - it’s all based around iOS and an app called Loopy Pro, using a focusrite 18i20 (spdif I/O with the Axe)

Loopy is a multitrack looping app that also hosts auv3 fx/instruments and allows you to build control surfaces that can interact with software and hardware midi.

Too much for a single post (I’ll be sharing more) - but the Axe handles my guitar tones as well as tone shaping/fx for bass/synth/keys/vox/whatever each with their own presets/scenes (selectable on multiple midi controllers via Loopy Pro and PC mapping)

The Nektar Pacer is connected to iOS via USB and the AXE through midi (I control Loopy with it as well) and using a midi mixer, I've added a CME WIDI Jack so the Axe can be controlled by the Pacer and FracPad on another device. The Pacer is being used for 8 midi external control switches (can can add another couple expression pedals) and preset/scene selection

I've been in it deep rofl

Always Sunny Reaction GIF
If you've cracked how to have Axe-FX settings reflected and adjustable through the knobs/displays of the MIDI Fighter Twister, I would very much like to hear how you did it!

(nb - my screen name comes from my radio handle working at Burning Man, I have no affiliation with the company who makes the MFT)

If you've cracked how to have Axe-FX settings reflected and adjustable through the knobs/displays of the MIDI Fighter Twister, I would very much like to hear how you did it!

(nb - my screen name comes from my radio handle working at Burning Man, I have no affiliation with the company who makes the MFT)
So that's a sticky one because the Axe doesn't provide midi feedback, I use Loopy Pro to create a control surface of knobs/encoders that is patched to the Axe and then bind the Midi Twister to those controls in Loopy Pro (which does provide feedback) So as long as those settings don't change direct on the Axe (they can't... see below) everything tracks. But yeah - you need to be ok with using an intermediate host of some sort to get you midi feedback.

But to be honest, the rigidity of how the Axe handles midi and locks any FX you have a modifier on makes it a kind of a PIA so I've kind of abandoned that idea for a minute until I have my presets and scenes more finalized.

So that's a sticky one because the Axe doesn't provide midi feedback, I use Loopy Pro to create a control surface of knobs/encoders that is patched to the Axe and then bind the Midi Twister to those controls in Loopy Pro (which does provide feedback) So as long as those settings don't change direct on the Axe (they can't... see below) everything tracks. But yeah - you need to be ok with using an intermediate host of some sort to get you midi feedback.

But to be honest, the rigidity of how the Axe handles midi and locks any FX you have a modifier on makes it a kind of a PIA so I've kind of abandoned that idea for a minute until I have my presets and scenes more finalized.
Thanks for the info. Are you able to extract settings from Axe-FX into Loopy through some sort of query process, or are you just setting up Loopy with exactly the same settings that are on the Axe-FX and have to change those settings manually whenever you change your AFX presets?

Thanks for the info. Are you able to extract settings from Axe-FX into Loopy through some sort of query process, or are you just setting up Loopy with exactly the same settings that are on the Axe-FX and have to change those settings manually whenever you change your AFX presets?
So once Loopy (or other host) changes settings on the Axe (and you don't change the axe directly) it will always match whats on the Axe and your midi controller will sync up to those settings (if that makes any sense)

Essentially, you don't need feedback from Axe if the host is synced to those controls and you never change them on the Axe directly

So once Loopy (or other host) changes settings on the Axe (and you don't change the axe directly) it will always match whats on the Axe and your midi controller will sync up to those settings (if that makes any sense)

Essentially, you don't need feedback from Axe if the host is synced to those controls and you never change them on the Axe directly
But how do the initial values get into Loopy? (the ones that show before you ever twiddle a knob) Do you set them all manually or is there a query process to get them from the AFX into Loopy?

But how do the initial values get into Loopy? (the ones that show before you ever twiddle a knob) Do you set them all manually or is there a query process to get them from the AFX into Loopy?

Yeah you set them manually, there's no query process. You have to turn/change a knob on your host first (which sets the Axe to a value) and then they sync up.

If your presets/scenes have different values then your host, they won't automatically change in the host, you have to then tweak a knob/controller that will change the value in the axe (then everything will be in sync)

So yeah, this is the main reason why I'm not going deep down this rabbit hole yet until I know for sure what controls I want to have control over across all my presets (and give up control to the host) Not to mention that you will always need the host if or else you don't have any control over those values in the Axe after setting up modifiers (i.e. if you make all your presets have these modifiers, you need to bring your host along with you if you ever wanna go jam for example)

Really a bummer the Axe doesn't have midi feedback but so it goes.

Yeah you set them manually, there's no query process. You have to turn/change a knob on your host first (which sets the Axe to a value) and then they sync up.

If your presets/scenes have different values then your host, they won't automatically change in the host, you have to then tweak a knob/controller that will change the value in the axe (then everything will be in sync)

So yeah, this is the main reason why I'm not going deep down this rabbit hole yet until I know for sure what controls I want to have control over across all my presets (and give up control to the host) Not to mention that you will always need the host if or else you don't have any control over those values in the Axe after setting up modifiers (i.e. if you make all your presets have these modifiers, you need to bring your host along with you if you ever wanna go jam for example)

Really a bummer the Axe doesn't have midi feedback but so it goes.
Agreed! If Cliff or any other person with responsibility in this area is reading I hope you will consider it. It's very lightweight from a coding perspective and would be a potent enabler for on-stage sonic work.

Back
Top Bottom