Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

New to the Axe FX but loving it so far.

I went from a stereo rig, 2 tube heads, 2 cabs, a 10U rack full of pedals, MIDI switcher, rack wah and a G-Major, DOZENS of patch cables (that I soldered myself), and a GCP to this and a FC12. If I need it I have two 15” PA speakers for live sound or stage monitoring.

My back is loving it as well.

IMG_2482.jpeg

Dom

I went from a stereo rig, 2 tube heads, 2 cabs, a 10U rack full of pedals, MIDI switcher, rack wah and a G-Major, DOZENS of patch cables (that I soldered myself), and a GCP to this and a FC12. If I need it I have two 15” PA speakers for live sound or stage monitoring.

View attachment 141637

Dom
Ditch the SLA-1 for a Matrix and your back will love you more! :)

I had an SLA-2 in the early days and that thing was like an anchor! Sounded great but I hated moving it...

Ditch the SLA-1 for a Matrix and your back will love you more! :)
Those Matrix amps must be some phenomenal piece of gear, I found a whopping 2 units for sale, a GT1000 & a GT800, both $1K each used. The Matrix website shows them out of stock, and I can’t get onto their USA website because of some security certificate issue.

What makes these amps so special?

I’ll be sticking with the SLA for now & my wallet will love me for it.

Dom

Those Matrix amps must be some phenomenal piece of gear, I found a whopping 2 units for sale, a GT1000 & a GT800, both $1K each used. The Matrix website shows them out of stock, and I can’t get onto their USA website because of some security certificate issue.

What makes these amps so special?

I’ll be sticking with the SLA for now & my wallet will love me for it.

Dom

The thing that makes them special is their power to weight ratio paired with their class A/B topology. Many amps in that weight range are class D. Whether or not that actually matters is a subject of rigorous debate. Also, many professionals use them including Metallica (according to Cooper Carter). Cliff has said that he uses the GT800FX when comparing the Axe-FX to the reference amps.

The catch is that they haven’t been in regular production for several years now and their customer support is not great from what I’ve heard. The company is said to be in hibernation mode.

Based on my limited understanding, there is no reason that Matrix amps would sound better than any other solid state amplifier of similar specification and build quality.

View attachment 141637

Dom
I have a big appreciation for the organization and level of detail that went into your rig. All of the labels and being cleanly laid out, bravo!

I have to ask, what does the talent boost do :laughing:

And I'll second support for Matrix power amps. I love my GT800FX. Feels and sounds amazing. It always impresses me that the feel is the same as if I'm plugging into the effects return of a tube amp.

I have to ask, what does the talent boost do :laughing:
Absolutely nothing so far! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thank you for noticing, I put a lot of thought into my rig builds, should have been a guitar tech LOL.

The Axe FXIII is perfect for practice and live bar gigs, that is undeniable, and it really does feel good to play, surprisingly good! Very happy so far and it really fits what I do.

And the geek in me is over the moon.

Here’s some pics of the rig I used to drag around. IMHO with two 4X12’s this thing roars, and the feel of those tubes surrendering to my pick attack is really emotional nirvana, but it’s just not practical for what I do, and deafeningly loud, and a bit temperamental in different rooms.

Dom

Attachments

• IMG_6564.jpeg
    IMG_6564.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1886.jpeg
    IMG_1886.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 122
Current incarnation of my Rig: Guitar input on my patch panel that goes to the rear Input one of the FX3. I/O 3 of FX3 has Mono loops 1 tru 4 of the GCX in it for trying new drive pedals and my old time favs along with a I?O to the patch panel for a Pedal board. Output of GCX loop 4 splits to IN 3 & ADA MP1 input....ADA MP1 output into IN 2 of FX3. I/O 4 has stereo loops 5 tru 8 of the GCX in it reserved for future expansion when i want to try other FX pedals and Rack FX units along with a TRS I/O for Stereo pedal board insertion via patch panel. Out 2 of FX3 into ADA Microtube 200 powering 2 Vertical Marshall 2x12 in stereo. Out 1 with a Dyna Cab goes to the XLR outs of my patch panel and my Headphones for silent practice. of course Midi IN/Out via patch panel to the DMC ground link wich is for I/A of GCX loops with out using any of my FX3/FC6 Control switches. 3rd XLR on patch panel for the Faslink/FC6. USB on patch panel for updating/programing/backing up FX3/FC6, Powercon out connecter on patchpanel allows my rack to power a pedal board or something else. 3u drawer for stashing strings, cables and tools.

Attachments

• 447717495_1434619690752049_1326692475212665614_n.jpg
    447717495_1434619690752049_1326692475212665614_n.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 84

Hey Thalagyrt -​

I'm curious - are you also using AVIO's at the back of the Radial DI's for A/D into the RME Digiface Dante?

My setup is quite similar except I just use the AxeFxIII inputs instead of DI's... Digiface Dante, Audinate AES AVIO I/O for interface with Dante network & DAW. I run Yamaha & Midas mixers with Dante...

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom