Bug? Post midi change audio drop - 100ms.

NMG

Experienced
THIS TEXT IS A POST DISCUSSION EDIT AS THE REASON FOR THE PROBLEM IS FOUND. When a preset had a looper with a mode set to anything but the default of STEREO UNDO there is an audio dropout shortly after a change up or down from that preset. This is the bug I am reporting.

ORIGINAL POST.

Between certain presets the audio drops ou for about 100ms. I believe it happens between factory preset usa lead and on above, recto orang. I think it is assosiated with use of delay, reverb and looper blocks as the fault cleared once I removed these from the usa lead preset.
No axe edit, no mvc, fw 7.

A video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVSEh3D4fk&

Btw it also occures between usa clean and usa lead until I remove all time based effects

Last edited:
Between certain presets the audio drops ou for about 100ms. I believe it happens between factory preset usa lead and on above, recto orang. I think it is assosiated with use of delay, reverb and looper blocks as the fault cleared once I removed these from the usa lead preset.
No axe edit, no mvc, fw 7.

A video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVSEh3D4fk&

Btw it also occures between usa clean and usa lead until I remove all time based effects

not seeing that here. Just went in a measured. I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary here. Typical dropout of a little over 30ms, a little more with spillover off.
What footcontroller are you using?

Hi sean,

With no controller connected and advance 1 preset via the up button. As the preset changes there is the usual midi related drop a bit of sound then a 2nd click and drop the the normal signal. Not between every prest mind. Please view the video link in the OP.

I hav attached two files to be load into position 11 for the hiwatt and 12 for the mesa. they are shown on my machine as 12 znd 13, so set your dyspay ofset to 1 so that it matches my state.

Changing from 12 (hiwatt norm) to 13 (usa Clean) causes the symptom i am talking about, that is found in the video.

Attachments

• 011.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • USA Clean.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi sean,

With no controller connected and advance 1 preset via the up button. As the preset changes there is the usual midi related drop a bit of sound then a 2nd click and drop the the normal signal. Not between every prest mind. Please view the video link in the OP.

I hav attached two files to be load into position 11 for the hiwatt and 12 for the mesa. they are shown on my machine as 12 znd 13, so set your dyspay ofset to 1 so that it matches my state.

Changing from 12 (hiwatt norm) to 13 (usa Clean) causes the symptom i am talking about, that is found in the video.

Yeah I went from the stock hiwatt norm and USA clean and I didn't get that. I'll try yours.
do you have spillover on?

I sometimes see this sort of thing when I've got an X/Y AMP or CAB IA on my board and the patch is setup to turn the patch to the other setting (either X or Y) than what it was saved with. There's the delay to do the PC change and then a delay to do the X->Y change on the blocks. Sounds like that might not be what you're experiencing though. Thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I sometimes see this sort of thing when I've got an X/Y AMP or CAB IA on my board and the patch is setup to turn the patch to the other setting (either X or Y) than what it was saved with. There's the delay to do the PC change and then a delay to do the X->Y change on the blocks. Sounds like that might not be what you're experiencing though. Thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

I just set all xy variables to x on both patches. Still the same. If I clear all bocks with shunts, on the starting patch the problem goes away.

I have done some swapping about. It seems the problem definitly occures when I move from the hipower patch I made to any other.
it seems that if I just remove the reverb and the looper from the hipower patch, save, and reinsert, save, I no longer have an issue. Could this be a bad code on the reverb/looper block? I cant make a patch from scratch now that causes the problem, only with patches I made yesterday.

Last edited:
I just set all xy variables to x on both patches. Still the same. If I clear all bocks with shunts, on the starting patch the problem goes away.

I have done some swapping about. It seems the problem definitly occures when I move from the hipower patch I made to any other.
it seems that if I just remove the reverb and the looper from the hipower patch, save, and reinsert, save, I no longer have an issue. Could this be a bad code on the reverb/looper block? I cant make a patch from scratch now that causes the problem, only with patches I made yesterday.

probably not because when you reinsert it the problem goes away.
How/when did you originally create the preset? dis you ever edit it with axe-edit?

probably not because when you reinsert it the problem goes away.
How/when did you originally create the preset? dis you ever edit it with axe-edit?

The hipower normal preset of mine was made from the factory preset hipower brilliant that was uplaoded to the box with fw7 and was a fw 7 preset. I have not used axe edit.

That preset seems to have 2 dropouts when you change it to another preset. I took out the looper and that didn't fix it. I put it back and then everything was fixed, only a normal dropout.

The hipower normal preset of mine was made from the factory preset hipower brilliant that was uplaoded to the box with fw7 and was a fw 7 preset. I have not used axe edit.

What did you upload the preset/bank with?

That preset seems to have 2 dropouts when you change it to another preset. I took out the looper and that didn't fix it. I put it back and then everything was fixed, only a normal dropout.

Yeah I noticed that if I removed the looper, save. The first change of the preset the drop was there, but back to preset and back up, the drop was not there. So after the correction, the drop is there for the fiest change only, I hope thats clear.

I think I have cracked it.

If the looper mode is on anything but stereo undo, then you get dropout. That is why it clears when you take out and put back the looper as what you put back is the default stereo undo. I use mono mode in that preset. Remember to advance from the preset twice for testing as we discussed.

I think I have cracked it.

If the looper mode is on anything but stereo undo, then you get dropout. That is why it clears when you take out and put back the looper as what you put back is the default stereo undo. I use mono mode in that preset. Remember to advance from the preset twice for testing as we discussed.

Good catch

The dropout you are observing is due to the need to clear out the Looper memory when switching between Looper modes. This requires muting audio for a little bit while that memory is erased.

The memory is used differently for each of the 4 different modes. If you were to go from a patch with Mono mode to Stereo Undo mode and then hit play WITHOUT clearing the memory you could hear some very weird stuff when you hit play.

The dropout you are observing is due to the need to clear out the Looper memory when switching between Looper modes. This requires muting audio for a little bit while that memory is erased.

The memory is used differently for each of the 4 different modes. If you were to go from a patch with Mono mode to Stereo Undo mode and then hit play WITHOUT clearing the memory you could hear some very weird stuff when you hit play.

But this is going from a patch with a looper to a patch w/ no looper.

Well... the Looper mode does get re-initialized back to the default (stereo undo) when you load up a new patch even if the Looper is not present in that patch. This is so if you DO go to place it the defaults are already there.

However, I'll try to figure out a better way to do this because I recognize it's not ideal.

Reactions: NMG
Back
Top Bottom