Possible presence issue on 9.0.2

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
I most say that I liked the aliveness of the 9.0.2 firmware . I just have to make a couple of constructive comments.
If this is supposed to work like a normal presence-control The presence control shouldn´t be working if damping is set to zero (no neg fb). it´s almost the same same thing as damping , but controlling the high frequenzy feedback. I think I remember that this was behaving more logically in 9.0 . I also think that the amp should be more or less scoped when the transformer matching is being altered .If I got this right the matching is supposed to change the virtual impedance matching of the power-amp. But I can´t hear any difference in brightness or bass resonance when changing this parameter (even with no damping) .I´ve been experimenting with tube amps since the 80´s and noticed a few things , this is just two of them. I don´t wanna sound like I´m complaining or something , it´s just some thought´s.

Thomas

If you set Damping to zero it detects that and changes the Presence control to a shelving filter since the control would otherwise be ineffective. Set Damping to just greater than zero and you'll hear the filter turn off and revert to a feedback circuit.

The transformer match thing is subtle and mostly affects the bass. If the Damping is high the feedback will make the controls less effective.

Thomas Larsson said:
If I got this right the matching is supposed to change the virtual impedance matching of the power-amp. But I can´t hear any difference in brightness or bass resonance when changing this parameter (even with no damping) .

Thomas
There's definitely an audible change in bass response. It definitely tightens and loosens the bass up for better lack of term IMHO.

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but i can't get this sweet tube-like presence in conjunction with my ART SLA-1. Turning up the presence in the Axe-Fx has a totally different effect than turning up the presence of my tube amp. Tweakin the presence freq doesn't help either.
So, is this a design flaw, or did i miss sth? If so, what?

Back
Top Bottom