Fixed Possible bug in Quantum v1

Stringmanipulator

Power User
Hello all,

Ever since I updated to the quantum v1 release my axe fx II mark II behaves a little strange
when I first start it.

I start the machine, everything seems fine, I start to play and no sound comes out,
I see the signal on the axe fx but no sound.

Then if I change to another preset (no matter which one) the sound comes and everything is back to normal
and I can return to the previous preset and it sounds just as it should.

It doesn't matter which preset I used last before turning it off, still the same thing occurring when I start the
machine.

The beta didn't do that and neither has any other firmware since fw 7 ..

It's not the end of the world but it's strange so I thought I should report it.

:)

other than that this firmware is fantastic

Last edited:
Hello Chris, thanks for trying to help me :)

I always have a volume pedal block in my presets ..

I have never done any kind of reset, been afraid that I might screw up something
since everything always worked so great.

I don't think this is a bug in Quantum particularly because mines been doing that for a while now, before Quantum came along. Others have reported similar things on this forum.

Hello all,

Ever since I updated to the quantum v1 release my axe fx II mark II behaves a little strange
when I first start it.

I start the machine, everything seems fine, I start to play and no sound comes out,

Then if I change to another preset (no matter which one) the sound comes and everything is back to normal

It doesn't matter which preset I used last before turning it off, still the same thing occurring when I start the
machine.

I didn't know that, never happened to me before since fw 7 .. so I thought it was a quantum thing, since it happened immediately after updating from the quantum beta to the final release version ..

I have never seen this with any FW version. I just tried it with my AxeFXII, Mark I, with Quantum installed. I get immediate sound without changing presets.

I use an expression pedal though my midi controller, but the midi controller is not always connected. In the I/O menu on the MIDI page I have the EXT CTRL 1 INIT VALUE set to 100%. I have idea if that is related to your issue but setting this to 100% will ensure that you have sound if the midi controller is not connected, that is assuming you have the expression pedal that controls the volume block connected through external controller 1. There are also parameters to set the initial value for controllers 2, 3, and 4.

After install of Q1 from Q1b yesterday, my volume pedal didn't immediately start controlling my volume block. Patch change, then back to original patch and all is fine. I wonder if mine defaulted to the "initial state" parameter of 100, and your parameter is 0. Sorry if that's the wrong name for the parameter - not in front of my unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although having said that I just looked in the MFC discussion section of the forum and there are others reporting MFC / Quantum weirdness there!
Yeah, I reported something similar in the MFC Sub-Fórum http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...sonding-after-quantum-update.html#post1249369

The difference is that I DO have sound upon start, but the MFC does not respond to Scene changes or Block state changes. It just responds to a preset change. After you change to another preset, it start to work as it should.

It never happened to me before in ANY firmware, so I guess it's a Quantum thing.

For the record, I have an Axe-FX II Mark I with Quantum v1 FW and MFC-101 Mark III with the latest FW.

Hello Chris, thanks for trying to help me :)

I always have a volume pedal block in my presets ..

I have never done any kind of reset, been afraid that I might screw up something
since everything always worked so great.

Don't fear a reset, just back up your system or write down the settings and set them back afterwards . any time I feel any weirdness I reset , some times it straitens it out , but never hurts anything.

Hello all,

when I first start it.

machine.

Do you use an MFC-101 ?

I am having the same problem, ever since Q1 public release. The beta did not do this for me.

Fire it up, and no sound, meters move. Switch presets, switch back and sound there.

Seems to be presets with Vol blocks like mentioned before.

Not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

Have MFC here (w/ mission EP's). I always disconnect the MFC before updating in case anyone is wondering.

I am having the same problem, ever since Q1 public release. The beta did not do this for me.

Fire it up, and no sound, meters move. Switch presets, switch back and sound there.

Seems to be presets with Vol blocks like mentioned before.

Not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

Have MFC here (w/ mission EP's). I always disconnect the MFC before updating in case anyone is wondering.

Same here :) seems we have identical issues .. thanks for letting me know ...
do you have the latest firmware on your MFC-101 ?

I have a theory. My guess is this is happening with Mark I/II only. This is because they now take longer to boot (partially because of the extra splash screen). The MFC is requesting the patch information and timing out because the Axe-Fx hasn't booted yet. For now just select a different preset and go back after power on.

That temp fix works for me - and to confirm the potential theory, mine is a Mark1 and a Mark 1 MFC as well.

Last edited:
I have a theory. My guess is this is happening with Mark I/II only. This is because they now take longer to boot (partially because of the extra splash screen). The MFC is requesting the patch information and timing out because the Axe-Fx hasn't booted yet. For now just select a different preset and go back after power on.

I have had similar but stranger problem for a while now. Both my Axes are XLs.

A looong time ago I tried having ext 12 control level of cab block after someone her suggested as method to not have to use volume block. I stopped using that method months and months ago. But. . . .every now and then when I boot, the Axe XL connected to my mac, will be silent. Somehow the patch has the ext 12 assigned to cab level again. This happened last night after updating to Q1. After upgrading and clearing the controller the axe sounded horrible, very spikey etc. Took me a while to see that after clearing the controller the cab level was at zero. Shouldn't that result in no volume, rather than shutting off the cab sims?

I assumed the controller assignments for a patch were stored in the patch. Is that not the case? The strange part is this doesn't happen every time I turn on the Axe, just sporadically. Having two Axes pretty much in parallel if one amp gets that spikey sound, it was less noticiable and I would be tweaking all sorts of stuff to figure out why my nice clean and full patch now sounded like it had more gain and was harsh. At least now I figured out what was happening, and can fix it quickly.

Any ideas on how to clear out wherever that controller setting is stored?

I have had similar but stranger problem for a while now. Both my Axes are XLs.

I think there are two different issues, that are quite similar.
People with NO sound and unresponsive MFC until a preset switch and people, like me, that HAS sound, but the MFC is unresponsive until you switch a preset. My case is not related in any way to volume blocks or whatsoever.
I'm with Cliff that my case looks like it's a Quantum Mark I/II issue. There is other people in this threads (http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/104432-mfc-not-repsonding-after-quantum-update.html & http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/104458-mfc-101-unresponsive-after-quantum-update.html ) with the same issue as me and we all have Mark I/II's.

Cliff I can PM you a video if it helps you figuring out anything.

But...
Works for me - and mine is a Mark1 and a Mark 1 MFC as well.
That confuses me.

Zionplayer, can you please check if you can switch SCENES on your initial preset when you boot up your Axe? Maybe you missed it as I did, because I usually switch presets upon start.

Back
Top Bottom