Possible bug in FW 15.02

harsh

Inspired
Hi Cliff, all. There seem to be a couple issues with using saturation and tonestacks in the new firmware. The two that I found are:

1. Saturation: when levels when switching between the 3 saturation modes in some amps seem to fluctuate a lot. The "on (authentic) and on (ideal)induce crackling and noise in some amps. Switching the saturation to off causes the overall level to drop a lot. I noticed this on the Recto and 6160 sims (I didn't check the other sims to confirm if they are affected as well).

2. Tonestack: using the tonestack of another amp also causes some crackle and unpleasant noise. For example, when using the Recto Red, if I switch the tonestack to the Solo 100, the level increases, and the noise levels also increase significantly.

Thought I'd let you guys know. Other than this, the tones are sounding amazing on 15.02 (especially the Rectos). Thanks for all the great work.

1) possibly heavily related to the release notes. Do you read them?

2) could be kinda logical and normal, I would dare to guess (well, that noise increases when level increases at least ;) )

1) to be expected - it is also why the ideal mode was added back.
2) Levels can change when you change tone stacks, if you are getting crackling when the levels go up, you are likely clipping, turn the level parameter down in the amp block until the clipping light on the front of the Axe-fx goes away.

1) to be expected - it is also why the ideal mode was added back.
2) Levels can change when you change tone stacks, if you are getting crackling when the levels go up, you are likely clipping, turn the level parameter down in the amp block until the clipping light on the front of the Axe-fx goes away.

Hi Sean,

1. I would have thought saturation should change only the amount or nature of saturation. I certainly did not expect the levels to fluctuate so significantly.
2. Same as above. But, I don't remember seeing the clipping light flashing on the Axe. I will take another look this evening once I'm back home from work.

These issues were not obvious previously - I never noticed crackling or clipping when changing tonestacks, or when turning saturation on/off. If both these issues are an outcome you intended, then so be it. My issue is that when I'm trying to build a tone, it gets really difficult to make a logical decision on what parameters actually sound good when the levels jump so much while switching between them, especially when one induces a crackle and you have to switch screens to lower the level to fix it, etc., by which time, I would have forgotten what the original setting sounded like. It is quite difficult to correctly A/B settings in such a scenario.

The real saturation circuit reduces level on a real amp. Is is an emulation of a mod done on some amps. If you want saturation like it was before, use ideal. That is why it was added back.
You didn't notice the saturation before because it changed in 15. The modeling changed in 15 as well. This could cause presets that were not clipping to clip now.

You can get crackles without getting it displayed when you have an overload preset near the max of the allowed CPU usage.

i'd love to hear a recording of this crackling, either from the tonestacks or the saturation mod.

i've never heard this problem using either of those features, and the problems sound related.

Back
Top Bottom