Portnoy back in Dream Theater

Mangini is a robot, Portnoy is not. Very happy this is happening. Next hopefully Labrie gets his crap together.
Labrie is done. And really, even if he was in his prime, his voice and singing style are just so dated now that it's going to turn anything into pure cheese.

Great news, I think that he with John are DT. Sorry for Mike Mangini (amazing drummer) but I can not get his kind of playing. I think that there's still a little chance that they can write something interesting (lost interest in latest works)

Labrie is done. And really, even if he was in his prime, his voice and singing style are just so dated now that it's going to turn anything into pure cheese.

Well, this IS Dream Theater, not some pop boy band that gets fifteen minutes of fame before the next new thing displaces them. They’ll do just fine over the long haul with the lineup they have.

Having hung out with Mangini a few months ago...basically his contract was up. When he signed on it was for a fixed amount of albums and tours, potentially to be extended, but likely not. The timing of the release of his solo album is not a coincidence either (which is definitely worth checking out) :)
I told my best friend this exact thing today when I read the article about Portnoy coming back. Told him there was no way that was by chance.

I told my best friend this exact thing today when I read the article about Portnoy coming back. Told him there was no way that was by chance.

Cool thing in talking with Mike about it...he basically had little say in the drum production during his DT time. A lot of the drums we've heard on the last DT albums were even samples/replaced. He made it clear that the drums on his album are exactly how he wanted them to sound - and I don't disagree, from the first two singles. He showed me a few others but overall the album sounds fucking huge 🎸

Gus G did the guitars on it and he's brilliant...I know what Mike asked for and he killed it. Jen Majura on vocals is great too, I got to talk to her with Travis Larson Band a few weeks ago and she's awesome as well

Happy to read this.
I stopped listening to DT when Mangini joined, I felt the next albums they had together were losing focus, being way too much technical and makes it irritating to listen, I guess that’s what happens when a guitarist takes the production in his hands.... ha ha...
Mangini is amazing but he is a machine and Portnoy is human (said the guy who can’t hold a drum stick correctly).

Happy to read this.
I stopped listening to DT when Mangini joined, I felt the next albums they had together were losing focus, being way too much technical and makes it irritating to listen, I guess that’s what happens when a guitarist takes the production in his hands.... ha ha...
Mangini is amazing but he is a machine and Portnoy is human (said the guy who can’t hold a drum stick correctly).
Agree and same here. Portnoy have a swagger and a kind of groove to his playing that makes DT sound so unique when he's in the band. That really went a miss when he left. The way he flams on hits and laggs a bit in his playing so tasty and makes the songs not "standing still" whereas I personally feel the songs did with Mangini. Mangini is frankly too good technique wise that he plays the parts so clean it's ridicolous (in a positive way ability wise that a human can play the way he plays.... but negatively groove wise).

I really, really feel excited about Portnoys comeback.

Mangini can play circles around Portnoy. Maybe he became tired of the noodle soup and it became palpable to the others. Who knows? The decision couldn't have been primarily based on drumming skill.

I always thought that DT would have been a better band if they ditched the keyboards and singer and just went as a 3 piece with maybe a 2nd guitarist and add a vocalist with a bit more growl and heft.

That description just reminds me of Adrenaline Mob (shudder)

Mangini can play circles around Portnoy. Maybe he became tired of the noodle soup and it became palpable to the others. Who knows? The decision couldn't have been primarily based on drumming skill.

Like I said before, it was a contractual thing...end of the day it's a job like any other and it ran its course. Everyone got what they were going for.

It makes for great reality drama the way they did it, and I can't fault them for it, but this was gonna happen from day 1.

Back
Top Bottom