Portable Stand or Table

I use the quicklock too usually, hard to travel with is my only gripe, it folds into a T, and is heavy.
That is a fair assessment. However, the weight actually gives me a little confidence... Because it's sturdy and I'm not worried about it supporting my rack.

I had been eyeballing one of these.
Quik-Lok WS-640 Compact

View attachment 52605
Been using a version of this stand for years ... really solid and quite versatile in that each leg can be at its own height ... the one I have doesn't have the blue knobs, just push-ins to adjust the height - cool for those situations where there may be a slight lip along the of the bottom of the wall that you might be putting your gear against .. highly recommended ..

There's always something to put it on. A crate, a guitar cabinet, a table. I've never been in a situation where there was nothing to hold my rack.

20171207-163220154-i-OS.jpg

There's always something to put it on. A crate, a guitar cabinet, a table. I've never been in a situation where there was nothing to hold my rack.

Hmmm... ok, but have you been in a situation where you have extremely limited space and would like something reaaonably consistent?

Sorry... But that's a bit like saying "well, there are always XLR cables at a gig, so why bring one?"

It's much better to arrive prepared with what you need...

Sorry... But that's a bit like saying "well, there are always XLR cables at a gig, so why bring one?"

I always bring cables. But this has to stop somewhere. It takes a freakin' van already to bring all our stuff to a gig. And packing all the stuff to take it from the venue after the show, when it so feels like having a few beers, is a bummer.

If there's nothing to put the rack on, I'll just put it on the floor rather than add another item to transport.

My laptop has to be somewhat high up though. But if it's hopeless, I'll just grab a chair and adjust things on my lap.

Maybe my case is different because I never ever adjust anything in Axe-FX during gigs? I only need to raise it to make the connections more comfortably...

Hmmm... ok, but have you been in a situation where you have extremely limited space and would like something reaaonably consistent?

I sacrifice consistency. As regards limited space, I don't see how that changes anything. If there's not enough space, how will a stand help?

I always bring cables. But this has to stop somewhere. It takes a freakin' van already to bring all our stuff to a gig. And packing all the stuff to take it from the venue after the show, when it so feels like having a few beers, is a bummer.

If there's nothing to put the rack on, I'll just put it on the floor rather than add another item to transport.

My laptop has to be somewhat high up though. But if it's hopeless, I'll just grab a chair and adjust things on my lap.

Maybe my case is different because I never ever adjust anything in Axe-FX during gigs? I only need to raise it to make the connections more comfortably...
Fair enough... I did say:

If you don't need a stand, don't bring one. You might find something or you might not.

If you do need one, don't rely on something else being available.

If you don't need a stand, don't bring one. You might find something or you might not.

If you do need one, don't rely on something else being available.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that there are people who use the front panel and tweak things during gigs. I only thought about it after I posted my comment. People are different, of course.

Actually while space is a concern, the only thing we have that might work regularly is the rack with my mixer and power amp in it. I just don't want all of the cables around where I am, so that stays in back or is used as a stand for a side fill monitor.

I may have not mentioned it yet, but I also have to play sitting on a drummers throne for the time being as I'm going to have hip replacement surgery in the next few months. Very painful and difficult for me to walk over and adjust things if needed. I like my guitar rack near me, and can adjust my mixer using an iPad on my mic stand. (And while I could use Fracpad for tweaks if needed, I already have the mixer app and OnSong side by side on the iPad, so that isn't really a cinvenient option.)

Actually while space is a concern, the only thing we have that might work regularly is the rack with my mixer and power amp in it. I just don't want all of the cables around where I am, so that stays in back or is used as a stand for a side fill monitor.

That rack on the photo I posted has mostly all the gear we have, including the mixer and power conditioner for the band, so all cables are in the back, and cables to FOH go from the back of that rack. The microphones and foot controllers are located where the musicians are, of course, but I plan to get rid of foot controllers during gigs, just don’t have enough patience to program all the stuff. We plan to add keys and a couple of pad controllers, but that’s going to be a single Ethernet cable to the rack. 8U for everything.

Just saying this because we came to this setup for two reasons - a) minimize space, and b) control everything from one location (well, monitor mixes are controlled by everyone using their phones/tablets, of course).

It would be totally cool and easy to transport if we didn’t have to bring stands with us. They occupy the major part of space in the van, and are the biggest pain in the butt to pack and unpack. :(

But I could totally sit next to the rack and tweak everything I need.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, get well soon!

I'm the same way on adjustments -- at a gig, pretty much the only thing I touch on the front panel is the output knob.

But I hate putting rack gear on the stage, especially expensive and relatively fragile stuff like the Axe III. Murphy's Law just always seems in effect: the one time I put my rack down on the stage always happens to be the time the sound engineer has to swap out an overhead stand during the show, and he swings the damn thing into my rack :)

Or... the one time the drummer kicks his beer over, and of course directly toward my rig. (OK, that happens quite frequently...)

When there's no other option, I've sometimes done a gig with my rack on the floor, and the front cover on. Can't get to the controls, but at least the screen is safe.

-James

That rack on the photo I posted has mostly all the gear we have, including the mixer and power conditioner for the band, so all cables are in the back, and cables to FOH go from the back of that rack. The microphones and foot controllers are located where the musicians are, of course, but I plan to get rid of foot controllers during gigs, just don’t have enough patience to program all the stuff. We plan to add keys and a couple of pad controllers, but that’s going to be a single Ethernet cable to the rack. 8U for everything.

Just saying this because we came to this setup for two reasons - a) minimize space, and b) control everything from one location (well, monitor mixes are controlled by everyone using their phones/tablets, of course).

It would be totally cool and easy to transport if we didn’t have to bring stands with us. They occupy the major part of space in the van, and are the biggest pain in the butt to pack and unpack. :(

But I could totally sit next to the rack and tweak everything I need.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, get well soon!
Thanks, and i know what you mean on the controllers. I got on the list fairly early and got an FC12. Works great, but if i get down to it, an FC6 will work for our gigs. So, keeping the FC12 for some things and just going to ger creative with an FC6 for our gig purposes. Also, ordered one of the EV2 pedals to take up a little less room.

I'm the same way on adjustments -- at a gig, pretty much the only thing I touch on the front panel is the output knob.

But I hate putting rack gear on the stage, especially expensive and relatively fragile stuff like the Axe III. Murphy's Law just always seems in effect: the one time I put my rack down on the stage always happens to be the time the sound engineer has to swap out an overhead stand during the show, and he swings the damn thing into my rack :)

Or... the one time the drummer kicks his beer over, and of course directly toward my rig. (OK, that happens quite frequently...)

When there's no other option, I've sometimes done a gig with my rack on the floor, and the front cover on. Can't get to the controls, but at least the screen is safe.

-James
i've definitely gigged with the front cover on for reasons you mentioned, but also for rain. so dumb we're out getting wet, so i had the rack standing face up anyway, just stuck the cover on and finished the song. then yelled at the managers who put us there without cover :)

but avoiding damage is actually why i prefer to put my rack on the ground. anything put up high has the opportunity to fall off and hit the ground. if it's already on the ground, it can't fall.

friend's of mine use keyboard stands, the Quik Lok WS 540 stand (can't believe no one mentioned it yet), and similar things, but none of those really support a heavy rack, and it's so top heavy, any small bump can send it crashing down.

that's why i went with a full table thing that touches the entire case, rather than 2 small bars of a keyboard stand, where the "X" has to be made thin to reach the rack case, which isn't as wide as a keyboard.

I generally bring something and leave it in the car... 90% of the time, I find a venue milk crate or two and put my rack on that... done. They support a rack just fine, but are slick, so there's still the possibility the rack gets bumped and slides off. I suppose I could bring a non-skid pad, but... you know... the whole kitchen sink problem...

The main reason I'm interested in this thread is because for small gigs my ideal rig is one of my 1x12 Xitone wedges and my Axe 3 rack. That custom built job Tom Morris made with the rack over the wedge looked really cool. But I don't think I'm handy enough with wood/metal to do a credible job. I'd love a simple stand with enough space underneath to put a small wedge. And lower to the ground would be better--as you mention, less far to fall...

-James

Back
Top Bottom